Essential MTB equipment?!

maskofsanity
maskofsanity Posts: 8
edited September 2014 in MTB beginners
Hey,

Looking to start mountain biking after 6 or so years of road cycling but need to decide if I have the disposable income (don't even have a MTB yet!). What equipment is essential for enjoyable mountain biking (local trails to start with)? Is lycra a suitable choice of clothing or a massive social taboo?! Any advice regarding this would be gratefully received!!

Cheers,

MoS.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Everything you wear on the road, with some MTB shoes and some decent gloves.

Nothing else different needed.
  • I've just got back into it after 12 or so years not riding a bike

got a set of gloves and a helmet. they're all I'd say were essentials

no 'bike' specific clothing - got some comfy shorts I ride in with any old tee. with it getting colder though might pickup something to keep me a bit warmer or start wearing a fleece I have

get riding and pickup other stuff as and when you want/need, that's the easiest option
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Unlike road riding there are no rules in MTBiking wear what you want. I usually wear a £10 Karrimor running top £25 baggy shorts from the bargain bin at Leisure Lakes and a pair of 7 year old held together with Evostick and gaffer tape Specialized shoes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My favoured top is a motorcross top I picked up at a charity shop (brand new), its designed to be worn over almost anything so I dress underneath to the warmth required and it's tough as old boots, great for round my way where brambles at just over bar height are a frequent occurrence. I wear it over baggies which are over padded shorts (you can just wear your roadie shorts).

While baggies are not necessary on many rides, if you have any brambles then lycra can get ripped up pretty quick, I have some really cheap ones (used off ebay actually womens but you can't tell any difference and they fit just fine) for dry casual rides, I have some better ones for when needed (like when it's piddling down!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    As above no stupid rules in MTBikng, wear what you are comfortable with not what people think you should wear, I'll wear lycra bib shorts most of the time but depending on weather and location I'll happily stick on some baggies.
  • Lycra is fine as long as it's not pro team road kit!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Lycra is fine as long as it's not pro team road kit!

Even better if we don't have to see pictures of it :)

For MTBing I wear baggy shorts as they are harder wearing. On road I am mid life crisis lycra man as it is more comfortable.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Another handy thing is the Aldi bike tool kit for £20. They are out now and it is packed full of useful tools. Not sure how hard wearing they are but good selection.
  • Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I can't use that as an excuse to not get a fourth bike then... (N+1 is a cruel mistress!) Now I just need to decide on the bike!!

Do you use bladders rather than bottles? I drink a lot on the road bike and presumably bottle cages and trails don't mix!

Cheers,

MoS
  • And ...... A pocket first aid kit ! Always keep one in my hydro pack along with a multi tool
  • Bottle cages are fine, just get a good one. A camelbak is handy for carrying tools and spare tubes etc.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bottle cages are fine until you have an OTB moment and the bottle falls out and whacks you on the head.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Bottle cages are fine until you have an OTB moment and the bottle falls out and whacks you on the head.

Wear a helmet then.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Wear a helmet then.
    OK, until the bottle whacks you on the helmet then.
    I do have one one most bikes for shorter local rides.
    And I try to keep OTB moments down to one per ride.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I had a OTB moment last week trying to put a bottle in the cage as I hit a patch of sand and the bike stalled....I didn't!
  • njee20
    I always use bottles. Have a hydration pack, but just don't like using it. Can't say I've ever been hit by a bottle.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Sheep crap on the bottle puts me off using one; I stick with a hydration pack.
  • cooldad
    njee20 wrote:
    I always use bottles. Have a hydration pack, but just don't like using it. Can't say I've ever been hit by a bottle.
    TBH it only happened once, but as this is the internet I thought random generalisation was required.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Sheep crap on the bottle puts me off using one.

That has also never been an issue.
  • njee20 wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Sheep crap on the bottle puts me off using one.

That has also never been an issue.

It is around here. I had to ride home from work with no water for the last 12 miles because of a large dollop of cow turd on my bottle. Not nice on a hot day.
    Water bottles are very #enduro now though.
  • Buy a small hydration pack (around £20) then you can stick in a spare tube, first aid kit, multi tool, puncture kit (in case the spare tube punctures!), pump etc etc....just makes it easier.

Wear what ever you feel comfortable in.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive