GoPro: Which Mount for Far East Road Trip

robbobkirk
robbobkirk Posts: 26
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking for some advice.
I'm doing a cycling trip in a month across Vietnam, Cambodia and into Thailand.

I recently got a GoPro to take with me and I got a handlebar mount which is ok but I'm wondering if a chest mount or helmet mount might be better, partly because it'll be higher up to take in the scenery.

I'm planning to put it in time lapse mode to cover as much as I can although even then I'm finding out that the battery won't last a day.

What mount do people recommend and if anyone has got recommendations about which settings to have it in?

Thanks.

Comments

• I've just done a European trip and had my GoPro on the handlebars. The main problem is that it seems very susceptible to any sort of road buzz with the picture being very shaky. I also had problems with the mount breaking due to the vibration.

The helmet mount seems a good idea, but I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to see when it was on or off and so figured I'd end up videoing everything except what I wanted to. Using time lapse would help negate this.

I'm going to try the chest mount next as I quite like the 'first person shooter' feel to the resulting video, but I've also bought a helmet mount to try.
  • I always think that the form factor (shape) of the GoPro make it look ridiculous on a helmet. I tried a bar mount once - the mount snapped and the camera bounced along the road, the case opened and the camera disintegrated. You then have to deal with GoPro customer service which is marginally less pleasant than pulling out your intimate hairs one-by-one.

So, by default, I'd go for the chest mount.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • If going for a handlebar mount then get the k-edge one rather than the gopro one - the quality is much better, it wont break and there is alot less road buzz. The gopro one is basically not fit for purpose IMO.

The chest mount is good for mountain biking where you are sitting more upright / standing but less so for road riding. It's a good idea to have at least a couple of different mounts then you can vary the footage, although if you are on a tour then that means carrying a little extra weight around which isnt ideal.
  • I always think that the form factor (shape) of the GoPro make it look ridiculous on a helmet. I tried a bar mount once - the mount snapped and the camera bounced along the road, the case opened and the camera disintegrated. You then have to deal with GoPro customer service which is marginally less pleasant than pulling out your intimate hairs one-by-one.

So, by default, I'd go for the chest mount.

That's exactly what happened to me (up to and including the bouncing along the road bit). I was lucky that my case and camera survived and I'm currently in the process of pulling out my intimate hairs.
  • I hadn't thought about the chest mount maybe not being correct for road biking which is primarily what I'll be doing.

I have to admit I'm not keen on the helmet mount particularly (I think they look a bit daft) but it's probably better to capture scenery.

Anyone had any arrangement to charge while attached to any mount?