Gadget nerds

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited September 2014 in The Crudcatcher
Can anyone suggest a device which will play music from my phone or by wifi from spotify with good, loud speakers?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Sorry to interrupt but could I add a vaguely related question?
    I asked a yoof working in John Lewis about something that I could connect to my old hifi seperates, so using their amp and speakers, and play music stored digitally. I didn't understand a damned word he said in reply, I think he must have been Dutch or something. If anyone can answer in English using words that I would understand I'd be very grateful.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I asked a yoof working in John Lewis about something that I could connect to my old hifi seperates, so using their amp and speakers, and play music stored digitally. I didn't understand a damned word he said in reply, I think he must have been Dutch or something. If anyone can answer in English using words that I would understand I'd be very grateful.

I just use the aux port and a cable with mine
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Can anyone suggest a device which will play music from my phone or by wifi from spotify with good, loud speakers?

Bluetooth speakers (assuming your phone has bluetooth capability).
  • Ouija
    Veronese68 wrote:

As above. All you need is a cable going into your hi-fi's AUX plug. Can connect the headphone out on any device (phone, mp3 player etc) into the AUX input on your HI-FI and blast out the music through your speakers. Just need to select "AUX" input on your amp, instead of "Radio", "CD", "Tape", "Record Player" or whatever other devices your system has built or plugged into it.
  • If you're feeling flush, Sonos is the answer (to both questions). It really only comes into its own if you want a multi room set-up, though.

Works over its own WIFI network, but links to your home wifi for storage & control.

The 'Connect' links to a proper hifi (they do one with an amplifier built in, too).

http://www.richersounds.com/product/mul ... ono-zp90uk

And there are players. The '5' is just about OK:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/mul ... :5/sono-s5

Will play off a server, NAS, streaming audio, iphone, etc.

Controlled via computer and/or ipad / phone app.

Pricey, but cool 8)
  • It's annoying that most audio phone docking stations are only Apple compatible.
    The Sonos 3 looks like it could be what I need.
  • The Sonos 3 looks like it could be what I need.

Best to try try one out before committing (Richer Sounds, etc.) - I was distinctly underwhelmed by the 3, both in terms of 'goodness' and 'loudness'.
  • Pair this with your phone, plug into the aux socket on your hi fi. Adapter may be required.

http://www.7dayshop.com/products/7dayshop-bluetooth-wireless-audio-receiver-bluetooth-enables-your-old-hi-fi-dock-or-car-stereo-BTR006
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    another solution is an iPod/iPhone dock and one of these.. works really well with my Bose Series One Dock - with apple devices, laptops, windows phone, android.. whatever as long as it has bluetooth.

For original 30-pin docks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Recei ... 1EM523T6AZ

For newer 30 pin docks (apple changed the pins around a few years ago now): http://www.amazon.co.uk/LAYEN%C2%AE-i-S ... _ce_text_z

Hope this helps :)
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    bob6397 wrote:

For newer 30 pin docks (apple changed the pins around a few years ago now)

*8 pin
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This thread is finally proof that Crudcatcher is farked beyond repair.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Lewis A wrote:
    bob6397 wrote:

*8 pin

*30 pin. There were 2 versions of the 30 pin connector before apple changed to lightning (8 pin). But most apple docks are still available with 30 pin connectors and not 8 pin ones at the moment. I don't know of an equivalent adapter for lightning, but one will undoubtedly exist. :)

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    bob6397 wrote:
    Lewis A wrote:
    bob6397 wrote:

*8 pin

*30 pin. There were 2 versions of the 30 pin connector before apple changed to lightning (8 pin). But most apple docks are still available with 30 pin connectors and not 8 pin ones at the moment. I don't know of an equivalent adapter for lightning, but one will undoubtedly exist. :)

bob6397
    Ah, they added video to it or something?
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Ouija
    The initial 30 pin connector was a combined USB+Firewire. The USB and firewire could be used for data transfer but the firewire was needed for power (12v compared to USB's 5v) as everything upto the 4th gen Classic Ipods ran off 12v (so you couldn't charge them over the USB pins alone).

Later versions of the Ipod classic, along with all the Nano's, Shuffles, Minis etc can use USB for data transfer and charging so there was no need for firewire except for backwards compatibility (firewire was Apples attempt to produce a better interface than the competing USB but, ultimately, everybody went with USB). They altered the 30 pin connector on the IPod docks to reflect the change in how they were charged.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    personally this is what i would buy. http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-pe ... h-speaker/

sound is pretty darn good with a nice solid aluminium constuction,
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken