Recomendations for handle bar riser

rmissin
rmissin Posts: 57
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, basically I've just got a Mongoose Tyax 29'er, when I adjust the seat height for optimum pedal power, I'm leaning too far forward and have too much pressure on my hands and wrists, also getting cranky back and neck, and cornering feels like I'm not fully in control, sort of off balance.

Any recommendations for a tried and trusted handle bar riser from the gazillion choices out there ?

tia

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One that suites? Backsweep and upsweep and width are personal choices, also how much rise you you want/need?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    New bars or new stem are required. No suitable 'riser" out there.

If ther are any spacers above the stem now they can be placed under it to raise it. If not them as above.

Ps buying advice in buying advice.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie wrote:
    One that suites? Backsweep and upsweep and width are personal choices, also how much rise you you want/need?

I don't know, never had one before, as far as I can tell the one one the bike at the moment will only go down not up, it has 4 spacers underneath.

s1600_2014_Mongoose_Tyax_Comp_29_Bike.jpg?1389724191

Haven't a clue what to get, hard to describe but I don't feel fully in control/balanced, still tweaking and adjusting things to try and get comfy on the bike.

Amazon reviews on risers drive me nuts, seems each one contradicts the other, think my best bet is to go down to halfords and talk to a real person, I'm overloaded with choice and confusion at the mo'
    Ps buying advice in buying advice.

No problem, how do I move it ?
  • The Rookie
    Ask a moderator using the report tab.

You can get riser bars where the tips are higher than the centre clamp, that will raise the grips by upto 30mm, you can also fit a shorter stem which will move the bars closer to you and leave you sitting more upright, you can also get steps with a greater angle on them so they point up more.

Do NOT buy one of those stupid contraptions that extend the steerer up, they have no safe use on an MTB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Rookie, yes, I think a shorter stem in combination with some height is what I need .

Current stem is 110mm ( if you take measurement from center of stem to center of handlebar)

Because the steerer bar is slightly angled, any height added with naturally bring the bars closer to me

I've been looking at these angled stems, System Ex is the most preferred, but also read much about them coming loose or not tightening up properly, depends on the quality I suppose.

BikeHut Alloy Riser Bike Stem
    121544?$pd_main$

System EX Adjustable Stem
    410372?$pd_zoom$

I've read enough horror stories about steerer extenders to put me off using them. :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The adjustable ones weight a proverbial ton and add another failure mode, bikehut stems are well made and fairly light.

Be sure to get one to match the diameter of your bars which from the photo above are 31.8mm but check (the area where the grips are is 22.2mm, the clamp section will be 25.4 or 31.8mm so easy to tell by eye!).
  • Yup 22.2 & 31.8mm, I'm not going to be off roading and popping wheelies like some of the nutters I see, so the Sys Ex may be adequate...looks cool too & gives me options, weights irrelevant... means I burn more calories :wink:
  • Make one change at a time. A shorter stem will sit you more upright so maybe try just that and if thats not enough then try a higher rise bar.
    Ignore reviews for bars, a bar thats comfortable for one person can be horrible for someone else. Personally I hate having more than 15mm rise because it starts to effect control but if you don't ride off road thats not a problem.
    Adjustable stems are the work of the devil, adjustment isn't as straight forward as you think, every time you adjust it you then have to re-adjust bars, shifters and brake levers.
  • The Rookie
    If you think the sys EX looks cool, I suspect you have bought the wrong bike......I find it an abomination! Personally I'd never use one, the steep ones like the bike hut one are a much more sensible option.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    On One have some good deals on stems

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/STOO3DF/on-one-3d-forged-stem

Lots of sizes and should be something good in there for you.

Please dont use those adjustable horrors they creak like Count Draculas coffin lid, weigh a ton and could lead you to making a very expensive visit to the dentist.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Yeah thanks for the advice guys, I'm going with the fixed 30 degree, I've been on the bike for 8 hours today, 30 degrees should do the job.
  • rmissin
    After a visit to Halfords a cool dude called Oliver told me too just flip the stem over, I just realized I must have been on upside down when I got the bike home....I just tightened it ....doh.
    Now I've got a 12-15 degree rise and it's perfect.
  • The Rookie
    That will have lifted the bars about 20mm....
  • rmissin
    Feels great, much more balance in tight turns, I can't believe I've been riding 4 weeks with the thing upside down...oh well..... onwards and upwards. :D
  • The Rookie
    It's not upside down as such, I run one bike with it flipped and one conventionally, many XC racers run them angled down.
  • rmissin
    Great .... that makes me feel "less of a knob" :D