Second hand wheelset - DA Hubs with Archetype Rims

Seweryn
Seweryn Posts: 49
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

Just looking for your opinions. As in the topic, there is a set of ready built wheels but unused, that I am thinking about buying. The wheels are constructed as follows:
- Archetype 23mm rims,
- Dura Ace 9000 hubs, 28F/32R,
- Sapim Laser spokes front and rear on both sides (not sure about the nipples),
- Lacing - radial on front and rear non drive side, 3x on drive side,

The question I have - is the radial lacing an advantage there, or does it make the wheels less flexible / compliant?
I would use them with a 10 speed cassette - are these hubs OK with the dedicated spacer, or would it be better to have a 10-speed specific rear hub, i.e. with less aggressive angle on drive side?
The other thing is - I could easily do with lower spoke count due to my weight, i.e. I am about 66kg, and I already have a set of similar wheels that I built myself using hubs that I could source at the time. So, I am not sure if that would be the perfect set for me, but I would welcome your comments.

Comments

• 28 spoke front should be 2x but I wouldn't wory too much. Radial lacing is a cosmetic thing mostly it confers not advantage. Spoke count a bit high but who regrets having too many spokes.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Dura Ace 28 are not supposed to be built radial, bit of an overlook there from the builder...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Dura Ace 28 are not supposed to be built radial, bit of an overlook there from the builder...
    Thank you Guys. Do I understand this correct that this is because of the density of spoke holes in the flange and the extra stress of the radial lacing?
  • Seweryn wrote:
    Dura Ace 28 are not supposed to be built radial, bit of an overlook there from the builder...
    Thank you Guys. Do I understand this correct that this is because of the density of spoke holes in the flange and the extra stress of the radial lacing?

Yes... in your case it won't make much difference as the warranty is not valid anyway, but...
    left the forum March 2023