Chesterfield Road Clubs

Van_Heerden
Van_Heerden Posts: 128
edited September 2014 in Road general
Good morning everyone,

I live in Chesterfield and work in Sheffield and I am currently a member of a cycling club in Sheffield. It has been a bit of a pain in the backside to get out on club rides due to the additional distance of getting there and back or having to meet along the way and ride quite big portions on my own and as a result my enthusiasm has waned. The club has also changed over the years with the recent popularity of cycling. I want to switch to a local club actually in Chesterfield to try and reignite my passion and get back to a traditional style club but there seems to be a bit of a dearth of clubs located actually within Chesterfield or only a couple of miles out. Can anyone give any suggestions please? I don't race but I like a good 50+ mile ride on a Saturday at a decent pass but not blasting along. I also like a quick cake stop. Chesterfield Spire look good and look like they have a great club community but their Saturday ride is meet at 11 home by 5/6 ad unfortunately that does not fit with a non cycling wife and 18 month old. I like to rise early and be home by 12 at latest.

There is a good chance that I won't fit in with the current clubs in terms of timings but I can't be the only one. If you are also in Chesterfield and in the same boat please respond and perhaps there is the possibility of a new club in Chesterfield to cover those in the above boat without a current club option who currently have to go it alone.

Thanks for your time,

Richard.
"The grass is always greener on the other side - unless Jens Voigt has been riding on the other side in which case it's white with the salty, dried tears of all the riders whose souls he has crushed."

Comments

• I've previously seen members of one local club meeting outside the town hall some weekend mornings when I used to drop my wife off for work near there but I can't remember if it was the spire club or Bolsover Wheelers.

Chesterfield cycle campaign also have the odd ride but the forum on their website is a bit dead.

I'm also in Chesterfield and work in Sheffield.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Years ago Chesterfield Coureurs were one of the strongest clubs in the country and boasted Internationmal roadmen - they also wore black kit which was unusual in the 80s and 90s. Very cool

VC Chesterfield are a good club in that area
  • Thanks both for your replies.

I think part of the problem is that Coureurs seem a bit secretive (2014 and no website) - no contact details on BC website nor on google search. Only info I can find on them suggests a Leicester phone number. VC Chesterfield again no website and no contact details on BC site. I know this shouldn't be the end all of joining a club but it doesn't feel overly warm and actively seeking new members. I hope I am wrong and if anyone from those two clubs reads this message and can correct me that would be great.
    "The grass is always greener on the other side - unless Jens Voigt has been riding on the other side in which case it's white with the salty, dried tears of all the riders whose souls he has crushed."
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    edited July 2017
    pppp
  • Try Bolsover and district cycle club, Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/407779339240771/

There is also a website, it is currently being rehashed but can be accessed on http://www.bolsoveranddistrictcyclingclub.org.uk/

Four sunday road rides for varying abilities, from Bolsover at 9:00. Early morning saturday ride, 30 ish hilly miles for about 2 hours at 7:30 from Loundsley Green traffic lights, (join us tomorrow if you want). Weekly TT (cuckney) two club hill climbs. Lots of members racing through the season, road and CX, some track enthusiasts and a MTB section. Go rides and youth training for Kids. Currently 300+ members
  • I'm a member of B&DCC (Bolsover and District CC), trust me on this, it's a fantastic club, welcoming riders of all abilities. You will not go wrong by coming along. The rides are classified as Green, Blue, Red and Black. Green being the slowest. Pop over to the fbook page and introduce yourself.
  • Thanks johnmiosh. I'm riding with a friend tomorrow who is also wanting to change club and we have a plan but if that Saturday ride is a regular one it could be just a the ticket - I'll PM you. We have both considered BD&C as it looks a great club but we weren't sure based on 9am Sunday start and extra mileage up to meeting point as an every week thing. I can probably do a longer Sunday ride about once per month. All the other stuff about the club seems spot on!
  • We call the Saturday ride the Sparrowfart; one every week at 7:30, but as the clocks go back and the ice starts to make an appearance, we get slightly later. Generally 2 hours and 30 ish miles, but we almost always head west into the peaks.

Occasionally, we go further; last week we rode off to Bolsover to do the Beast of Bolsover Audax, about 85 miles for most of us. Other weeks, the time poor parents will do the 30 miles and others will do an extension.

Generally around 6 and 16 of us turn up on the Saturday. We operate a nobody left behind policy; we regroup on hills and wait/help with mechanicals.

You are more than welcome to turn up any week. Send me a PM (or check the facebook page) and I will send you details of routes, GPXs, meeting place and car park details.
  • I am am member of chesterfieldrebels cycling club. We are an unfriendly club and won't welcome you so just to rule ourselves out. best of luck with the other clubs.