Stinking helmet

jimmocrates
jimmocrates Posts: 131
edited October 2014 in Road general
In short, my helmet(s) stink. After a few years worth of sweat soaked into the straps and pads, both of them absolutely stink.
I've not had any falls in that time, so rather spend my money on other bike frivalties rather than helmets - whats the best way of cleaning them/getting rid of the smell? Fabreeze?
cheers

Comments

• I wash the pads with antibacterial hand soap

http://www.halfpriceperfumes.co.uk/en/s ... tAodDVwAGA

after every ride. I scrub the straps with a nail brush and same soap maybe every 3/4 months ( ie when they reek!) And hang on the line to dry.

Works fine keeps it fresh.
  • Use this stuff myself, not the cheapest option but it does the job more than well.

http://muc-off.com/rider-care/69-foam-f ... 99000.html
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Pads - detach from helmet, tuck in a sock, and into the wash with the other cycling stuff.

Straps and helmet - work up a lather with an anti-bacterial hand soap, work it into the straps, wash the inside of the helmet itself and rinse off.
  • How many washes do you get out of a can of the muc-off foam? Al the other muc-off products I've tried have been top notch.
  • Only on my first can (was bought as a present) & had about 25 so far. It's like the carpet cleaner foam sprays you can buy in that a little really does expand a lot
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Normal shampoo at the end of every commuting week and/or after a long aweekend ride for me
  • How many washes do you get out of a can of the muc-off foam? Al the other muc-off products I've tried have been top notch.

Lots. I've had mine all season. The stuff is very good.

If I can't be bothered to use the muc off I simply take the helmet into the shower with me and let the shampoo and shower gel get into it.
  • What I do with my gloves/hats, although not entirely the same as the padding with a helmet, is wash them in the sink with warm water and some dish soap. I've been doing it for years, it takes about 2 minutes, and you get the satisfaction of getting to see the dirt and grime out too (makes me feel like I've really cleaned them).

If your helmet has removable padding this would be worth a try, as I doubt the Styrofoam/material would get smelly.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,380
    I am told that smelly running shoes can be made better by putting them in the freezer over night . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    laurentian wrote:
    I am told that smelly running shoes can be made better by putting them in the freezer over night . . .

That's true. It can kill the odor producing bacteria.

You could try it with the pads if they come out, but I wouldn't try it with a whole helmet. The thermal change might damaged the interfaces between the plastic and polystyene parts.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    BrandonA wrote:
    If I can't be bothered to use the muc off I simply take the helmet into the shower with me and let the shampoo and shower gel get into it.

Shower for cleaning helmets gets my vote as well, far less hassle, you've got to have a shower anyway so just wash your helmet too :oops:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I just rinse my helmet pads and straps under the tap when I get in. Works for me. Its usually only the one ride a week for me most weeks so they're dry for the next.

Febreze works incredibly well for running and cycling shoes and to refresh a jacket that might be a bit sweaty but not dirty. I'll avoid washing kit if it doesnt need it. Obv base layers shorts and tops go in every time.
  • I wash the pads then the helmet in the sink using head and shoulders.
  • arran77 wrote:
    BrandonA wrote:

Shower for cleaning helmets gets my vote as well, far less hassle, you've got to have a shower anyway so just wash your helmet too :oops:

Yeah, this. Also, removing the pads will, over time, cause the velcro to stick less effectively. I just let them become wet and then press the water from them.
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • I used to wash them in the washing machine (removable pads), but then I discovered cycling caps!! Cap under helmet, gets washed weekly, helmut doesn't smell. 2 caps at £1.99 each, and the jobs a good 'un.

Stops sweat dripping in my eyes in summer, keeps the rain out in winter as well.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Buy a new helmet. You know you really want to.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Shower and washing up liquid works well. Just make sure the water isn't too hot as it sometimes melts the bonding on the edge of the pads (same goes for removeable pads in the sink).
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.