Riding without mitts/gloves

matt-h
matt-h Posts: 847
edited October 2014 in Road general
Since my trip to the Alps i have found riding without mitts to be really nice.
I have always ridden with mitts or gloves but a friend recommended removing them on a 2 hour climb to aid cooling and its been a revelation.
No sweaty palms, easier to get items from jersey pockets etc
I haven't worn them since back but am concerned that if i have an off, i will have no protection.

What's others thoughts on this?

Matt

Comments

• I also prefer the feeling of riding without gloves, but found that I was losing grip when it rained or on very hot days when the bar tap would start to get moist with sweat. The worry that I'd tear my hands up badly in a crash was also a bit of a concern. A compromise that worked was a pair of Giro LTZ II gloves, which are super light and have absolutely no padding in the palm. They provide just enough grip that even when it rains I don't find my hands slipping, and the feeling is honestly not dissimilar to riding gloveless as they're so heavily ventilated. If a shop near you has them, perhaps try them on and see what you think.
  • I also prefer the feeling of riding without gloves, but found that I was losing grip when it rained or on very hot days when the bar tap would start to get moist with sweat. The worry that I'd tear my hands up badly in a crash was also a bit of a concern. A compromise that worked was a pair of Giro LTZ II gloves, which are super light and have absolutely no padding in the palm. They provide just enough grip that even when it rains I don't find my hands slipping, and the feeling is honestly not dissimilar to riding gloveless as they're so heavily ventilated. If a shop near you has them, perhaps try them on and see what you think.
    +1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They're a bit like safety kit aren't they. You don't really need mitts until you come off.

If you have a bad off - it could be nasty. I've heard tell of pros doing it and having to have someone to carry their bags to the airport - you can't do much if you've no palms.

Best of both worlds - take them off for the climb (2 hours ? Where was this ?) and put them back for the descent ?

In the UK its probably wise to have them on all of the time.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The worry that I'd tear my hands up badly in a crash was also a bit of a concern.

Unless you have some very good friends who can see to your personal needs whilst the skin on your hands heals.

I think "gloves and helmet", not "helmet and gloves".
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I've ripped up both palms in a crash, I always wear gloves now.
  • A compromise that worked was a pair of Giro LTZ II gloves, which are super light and have absolutely no padding in the palm.

I have these and they're really good. I've never ridden without gloves, but I don't like the feeling of a lot of padding and these fit the bill. It's a bit tricky to find a good winter glove if you don't like much padding though.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Coming from mountain biking I wear mitts or gloves for extra grip and protection on my road bike.
  • matt-h
    cougie wrote:
    They're a bit like safety kit aren't they. You don't really need mitts until you come off.

If you have a bad off - it could be nasty. I've heard tell of pros doing it and having to have someone to carry their bags to the airport - you can't do much if you've no palms.

Best of both worlds - take them off for the climb (2 hours ? Where was this ?) and put them back for the descent ?

In the UK its probably wise to have them on all of the time.

Col De la Croix http://www.strava.com/activities/188710 ... 4430356784
  • matt-h
    Agree with you all on here.
    I work for myself so damaged hands would be a problem.

I'll have a look at some lighter mitts

matt
  • I tried riding without mitts and hated it.

It just felt uncomfortable for me.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    frisbee wrote:
    I've ripped up both palms in a crash, I always wear gloves now.

Me too!!

If I am out riding and I realise that I've left my helmet or my mobile behind by mistake, I won't bother turning around to fetch them. If I've left my gloves behind I will turn around straight away.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I never wear mitts, only gloves when it is cold.

I'm sure I'll regret it one day..
  • I can't really see any advantage of not riding with mitts...
  • matt-h
    I can't really see any advantage of not riding with mitts...

I found that when my hands were cooler it made me feel cooler overall

Matt
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I have scars on my right palm that remind me to wear mits. That said, I only wear mits when I'm wearing lycra, jeans = no mits. Although earlier this week it was 3C on my morning commute, so I should have been wearing full gloves, took about 30 minutes to defrost.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I ride always with mitts/gloves. When I rode without them the sweat from my palms made the STI levers slippery.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I can't really see any advantage of not riding with mitts...

It's cooler in the summer and the avoidance of velcro type fasteners that can and has caused pulls on my expensive lycra shorts.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    matt-h wrote:

Oh nice climb ! Very similar to my longest hill - the Stelvio. http://www.strava.com/activities/558322 ... 1020231397
  • redvee wrote:
    I ride always with mitts/gloves. When I rode without them the sweat from my palms made the STI levers slippery.

I've actually slipped off an STi unit before as it was so hot & I wasn't wearing gloves! Always wear them now.
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    I never wear mitts, only gloves when it is cold.

I'm sure I'll regret it one day..

Ditto. I guess its one of those things I'll have to learn the hard way but I hate wearing gloves/mitts so, unless its cold, I don't.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Had an off about 10 years ago in mitts,peeled the skin back on 7 out of 8 fingers,now won't ride even in summer and in the alps last year without full finger gloves,i currently have some specialized ones that have a thin back on them,one thing i can never work out is,guys on fast sports bikes in summer go out in their full leather one piece suits,and don't wear any gloves,and go at speeds where they could grind their hands away
  • I'm another fan of 'barely there' gloves.

Castelli's Aero mitts (no padding and a long cuff) were excellent intil they merged the fingers into one hole but the Cavendish range has what is basically the same glove. Really comfy.
  • matt-h
    cougie wrote:
    matt-h wrote:

Oh nice climb ! Very similar to my longest hill - the Stelvio. http://www.strava.com/activities/558322 ... 1020231397

Thanks. It is an awesome climb, just not so well known as the legendary Stelvio and others.
    Would have been a bit quicker had i not stopped for photos etc.
    Well done on your effort!

Matt
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I don't wear them training. I do racing.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I never weat mitts/gloves during the summer, I hate them, they are annoying and only cause my hands to become hot and sweaty. I have Zipp CX tape on my bars which is grippy and comfortable without gloves. I'll wear gloves only when the weather gets colder and purely to keep my hands warm, once they warm up i remove the gloves again.