First season next year - Wheel advice please

Variance
Variance Posts: 130
edited January 2015 in Amateur race
Hi,

I'm taking the plunge and will be riding in a local crit series next season. I don't really know too much about kit or equipment but I do know I could do with some new wheels if I'm going to race. My pal is selling some but he thinks they may be better suited to TT's rather than Crits, but he's not sure why! He's ridden TT's and on them but is upgrading so has offered them to me. They are Planet X 88 101. Will they be ok for a Crit race? If not, why not and what should I be looking for?

Thanks

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Planet X descibe these as TT or Triathlon wheels. Very deep section for aerodynamics but a bit heavy front 806g rear 1114g. For comparision their CT45 wheels are 590g and 790g.
    In a crit you are in a bunch so aero is not so important but if it's twisty aceleration is so lighter wheels are better. Also in some 3/4 crits the riding standard is not great and this will not be aided by a deep section front wheel in a cross wind.
    Lastly a lot of money if you crash.
  • Good wheels & nothing wrong with them but for racing if your in the pack your already going to be getting much larger aero gains from drafting, as long as your not on the front dragging everyone else around.

Much better to go with a lighter wheel, but you need to balance that against the possibility of bumps, scrapes and possibly a crash, so would go spending massive amounts, unless you really want too. After all it's your money you can do as you please.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Go for stiff, light wheels and good tyres. If you don't do well in a race, it is unlikely to be down to your wheel choice...
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Assume the worst will happen, and only race on wheels you can afford to replace. Aero wheels won’t help you much in crits.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    In circuit races I race on my cheapest wheels. I *have* raced on deep carbon wheels but my best results came using a good, stiff shallow set that I wan't worried about getting knackered. I certainly never felt that I was being held back.
    Something like a pair of fulcrum 5s or Campag Zondas would be about the max I'd spend on factory wheels for circuit racing.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I race with rs500's. Lol.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Tyres far more important in crits than wheels. Stick with what you got and put some fast rubber on them
  • Variance
    Thanks all
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I'd get some decent wheels, probably not super deep carbon rims and probably shallow aluminium if you aren't sure as not everyone gets on with carbon braking surfaces. I agree you don't need nice wheels to race on but they make a small difference in crits as much as any race - a light rim spins up quicker and you will accelerate a lot of times in a crit. As Imposter says stiff light wheels - exactly what depends on you as a 9 stone rider may find something stiff enough which a 14 stone sprinter doesn't.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • As already said, go for a sturdy set that with the emphasis on lightweight rims. I've had no problems racing on handbuilt wheels with Open Pro rims, which can be built fairly cheaply with a lot of people regarding them as training wheels (although they're also pretty light!)

A decent pair of tyres such as Coni Grand prix or Schwalbe ultremos will also help to reduce the rotating weight and probably roll better too, meaning you'll be able to accelerate easier which is really important for catching wheels and keeping up with changes of pace and attacks.

Aero gains are probably worthless at your and my levels of racing- you'll probably be able to keep up/ stay in a break or you won't pretty much on fitness/ strength alone rather than marginal aerodynamics due to the comparatively large differences between riders.
  • Agree with all of the above, especially with the get wheels you can afford to replace. I remember seeing a rider knacker his Lightweight mid section wheels on the first race of the season...he was gutted.

Edit: Also, I have 80mm deep sections and you will be fighting the bike in windy and gusty conditions.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    A set of decent handbuilts that are reasonably light are all you need. The key part is using and getting the right tyres on them.

Anything sub 1600g and with a set of vittoria corsa's evo sc's or gp4000s would do it. I've got zipps and heds and they only go out for TT ing....
  • Variance
    Thanks all. Decided to have some built by a member of my club.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I raced crits/commented/trained on Kyserium Elites. Light, stiff, cheap, last for ages.

I then used P/X carbon 50s for the same plus long road races. Faultless.

Both sets are still going strong (used as winter wheels - Kyseriums -and live on holiday home bike-P/X) even if they have been superseded by newer shinier kit.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • +1 for Kyserium Elites, i bought a set for my first year of racing, good acc'n and strong, had a couple of minor crashes and they're still bob on. Still use them as my racing wheels
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    stiff round cheap one's are the best for racing. I like round wheels my self no one has mentioned this.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Scrag
    Scrag Posts: 5
    so leading on from this what about recommendations for tyres? I love riding the continental gp4000 but are these a bit heavy duty for racing on?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    No, I would say they are ideal for racing on. Unless you want to go for something like GP Supersonics or similar - but then the risk of flats increases...