Whyte T-129S Tubeles conversion

bigmitch41
bigmitch41 Posts: 685
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Having recently bought a new 2014 Whyte T-129S from Winstanleys Bikes I am considering the option of going tubeless. The Bike comes tubeless ready "Rims: WTB STi19 29" Rims with TCS System, Tubeless Ready" So my question is what’s needed?, Do I need just purchase a set of no tubes valves and a bottle of no tubes fluid? I have done some homework and I understand I could need some more tape etc but technically it should just be a case of whip out the tubes, add the valves and slosh in some sealant/fluid, inflate and enjoy a puncture free life forever & ever... :lol:

Thanks for any advice you may have, particularly Whyte 129 owners.

Mitch
Paracyclist
@Bigmitch_racing
2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
2014 Whyte T129-S
2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
Big Mitch - YouTube

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    it means that they can be run tubeless if you choose to set them up that way. some gorrila tape, DT swiss valves and a bottle of sealant will do the trick.
  • Just valves (wtb) and stans fluid to get mine tubless. My TR High roller II's went on no bother. I can get non tubless ready tyres on but it takes a while. My rear wheel leaks slightly via the spokes until the fluid gets in now, but I change that often that I'm back on tubes in the rear again anyway.

Never tried the Bronson/nano tubless mind (but they're useless anyway)

Hope this helps
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I run the above setup that POAH said (on his recommendation) on my non tubeless giant rims, for a couple of quid the gorilla tape is amazing, no leaks anywhere, will even hold pressure without fluid although I've obviously now got sealant in for puncture protection.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    TCS rims need tape and valves. Any tubeless rim tape (or gorilla), sealant and valves will do it. The Hope Stans kit is ok value as a starter pack.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Quick update, I got the job done yesterday with no problems. I only needed to whip out the tubes add the valves and slosh some sealant in as the rims/tyres came tubeles ready, so no need for tape etc. The front took a little bit of fettling before it sealed up, the rear went up straight away. I noticed the rear had a pinhole in it when I inflated it first time without fluid as a test run, so I marked it with a crayon and added the sealant, amazed how quickly this hole was plugged once inflated.

Just make sure you have a decent track pump and watch the youtube tutorials first.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube