2 have now started to show damage to sidewall.. 500 ish miles

Thoughts... Need replaced?

313221A4-D717-46BC-BF13-160F41A04594.jpg

C1BD167A-A387-45AD-B2F6-A04A71891521.jpg

4A110C4B-0A43-4451-8599-91C0A1FA05AD.jpg

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have a small slit on one of my GP4000 S IIs. I'm not replacing it just yet but am checking it before every ride to make sure it hasn't grown.

I have no idea how I could have damaged it in the area it is... just like in the pictures above.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    A slit that tiny - I'd put some carpet tape on the inside and carry on.

I had a spate of sidewall damage a while back, but none all summer (touch wood) ... that's 1200 miles on the front and more on the back.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    OP what pressures are you running?
    is it like that on both sides in the same place?
    its obviously chafed on something, possibly pinched.
    as for the slit, i sustained a couple of big slits on my previous ride and lined the tyre while out in the field with an energy gel wrapper and it seems to be holding up ok at the mo.
    although i will order some new tyres next week anyway.

imo i would carry on and just keep an eye on the sidewalls and cover the hole
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • GP4000s are notorious for having flimsy sidewalls. I use them on my workhorse bike and have accepted it as the downside of using a tyre that's otherwise excellent. Reinforcing the inside as others have suggested, should be OK: that's what I did to get me home after a hole eventually developed in one of mine last year.
  • That looks like you've scraped by some road debris or a kerb on a ride to me, the way the cords and casing are frayed. As said, you can put some tape of a tire boot and ride it a bit, I'd only do that in order to make it home after flatting. As expensive as tires have become I understand trying to keep using t for a while, though. Take care if you are still going to ride on it.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • Run them at 120

The damage is from 2 different tyres
  • slowbike
    Old_Timer wrote:
    Take care if you are still going to ride on it.
    I only put damaged tyres on the back. Bit of an arse if you've got two damaged tyres though ... it means you have to buy a trike! ;)

The aim of the tape is to keep the sidewalls together and stop the innertube from poking through. Just using a tyreboot doesn't achieve this and whilst that may get you home, a split will continue to grow if not held together.
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    edited September 2014
    Slowbike, agreed with your reply, I only ride a boot, if it is adequate, enough to get back home or to a safe place to await my wife after making the call of shame :oops: . Makes me want to return to tubs like the old days when I'd have an extra strapped under my Brooks Team Professional's rails and the pump in the pegs along the seat tube. Maybe we haven't actually progressed as much as we think. :?

I do keep a spare tube, a couple of boots and some patches in the wedge seat bag, I have even kept a folding spare tire (TYRE, excuse me please :roll: .) But, that makes for a bulky bag under the seat and more than I usually need. I've used the old folded paper currency as a boot successfully, too. :wink: Just hoping no one gets caught out short here is all. Cheers :mrgreen:
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • slowbike
    OT - agree - taking a spare tyre is a pita - I reserve that for touring - although I thought folding tyres are as compact as a spare tub - and a tyreboot can me fashioned out of many things ...

Repaired tyres are reserved for the mundane rides - ie commuting or solo efforts or just a family ride where it wouldn't matter (so much) if it failed.

</skinflint> ...:D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    120 is too high I reckon. The conti guy told me less than 100 PSI.

I'd ride that tyre with no worries though - just check when you clean it after.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Or better still, pay a visit to the cycle show and tell them their gp4000s are pants, and do they know this is not a random cyclist....gimme a break about what pressure should be in them. There are too many complaints about them now for people to get the brush off.