2017 UCI World Road Champs

Art Vandelay
Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
edited September 2014 in Pro race
Will be in Bergen, Norway.

Richmond USA next year, Doha in 2016 - in case you forgot.

Comments

• This was the promo vid featuring Thor, Grieg and some salmon:
    http://vimeo.com/66049137

Bergen beat Innsbruck, Melbourne and Bogota.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    In the spirit of the "I'm calling it now" thread

2015: Kwiatkowski
    2016: Cavendish
    2017: Boasson Hagen
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • 2015: Sagan
    2016: Cancelled/new host city
    2017: Dillier
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    2017 - Jens Voigt
  • mr_poll wrote:
    2017 - Jens Voigt
    Is that before or after he reclaims the hour record?
  • Some stunning scenery shown off in the Tour of Norway this year. Will be an interesting one. Cant say the same for the US one or Doha.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Some stunning scenery shown off in the Tour of Norway this year. Will be an interesting one. Cant say the same for the US one or Doha.

For Bergen - think more Tour of the Fjords. Will be stunning and a classics style course - think Sagan, Kristoff, Gerrans...

Doha - apparently they're building a hill - I'm presuming using the roads but adding on a purpose built section. Who knows.

Richmond - talk is this will be a tough course. It will feature this:
    usopen-virginia.jpg
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    2015: Sagan
    2016: Formolo
    2017: Armstrong
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Cheap flights to Bergen :-)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Doha? That will be interesting... Just goes to show money really can buy anything. I hope it gets cancelled and moved elsewhere.

Richmond could be good to be fair.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Doha? That will be interesting... Just goes to show money really can buy anything. I hope it gets cancelled and moved elsewhere.

Richmond could be good to be fair.

Yep - Richmond will be good - there will be a lot of support and the atmosphere will be buzzing. Course not decided yet but it will feature some sharp climbs. Doha is a joke really.
  • Paul 8v
    I wonder how bad/good the cobbles are? If there are enough of them it could make for a very entertaining race
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    I wonder how bad/good the cobbles are? If there are enough of them it could make for a very entertaining race

Check out Libby Hill Park and 23rd Street - both should feature. Not Arenberg trench-esque, more like the smoother ones of newly paved Flanders bergs.
  • Paul 8v
    Still beggars can't be choosers, really bad cobbles aren't always the best racing as it means it comes down to luck rather than skill in some cases with punctures/crashes etc
  • Boonen reckons he has a chance tomorrow, in 2015 and 2016.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Boonen reckons he has a chance tomorrow, in 2015 and 2016.
    He already said so in May this year. I think he's right
  • I struggle though as he can't win a sprint and couldnt win in Richmond unless it is a proper 'classics' course. Qatar he wobt win a sprint (this is not Feb where there are few people involved or in form) and his only chance is echelons working in his favour.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I struggle though as he can't win a sprint and couldnt win in Richmond unless it is a proper 'classics' course. Qatar he wobt win a sprint (this is not Feb where there are few people involved or in form) and his only chance is echelons working in his favour.
    I don't think he will win, but he could feature in a reduced bunch sprint tomorrow. Richmond could turn our to be a Flemish race, and Doha and chelons, who knows. He has a chance, not more
  • FJS wrote:
    I struggle though as he can't win a sprint and couldnt win in Richmond unless it is a proper 'classics' course. Qatar he wobt win a sprint (this is not Feb where there are few people involved or in form) and his only chance is echelons working in his favour.
    I don't think he will win, but he could feature in a reduced bunch sprint tomorrow. Richmond could turn our to be a Flemish race, and Doha and chelons, who knows. He has a chance, not more

It'll be much harder for national teams to take advantage of cross wind conditions than it is for OPQS. The only protected riders out the back door will be the Moldovans, Chileans etc.