How to carry a bike!...

Th3P
Th3P Posts: 91
edited September 2014 in MTB general
Hello!

Bare with me! I have a ride planned coming up for Helvellyn (was recently in MBUK 305) Ive read many comments about the amount of climbing/walking and wondered if anyone could give some real feedback on this?
I wanted to see if there is a "proper" way to carry a bike for this type of route, Ive seen many recommend to carry a towel in the bag and rest of the shoulder I assume then rest the BB on this to try and create a central point of balance.

I realise many people will read this and not comment as its a fairly un-usual question and many dont ride these type of route but really want some first hand feedback.
Having seen photos I can see why having one hand available makes sense

Many thanks to anyone who takes time to post

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    edited September 2014
    Stand to the left hand side of your bike, put your right arm under your top tube and through to the other side and rest the top tube on your shoulder. Then with the top tube resting on your shoulder grab the bars with your right hand.

That way the bike is stable and you have your left hand free, the suggestion of a towel is so that you can put that on your shoulder and the frame on top to make it more comfortable, however on the MTB I ride with a back pack and the frame can rest on the shoulder strap so no need for a towel for me
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't carry it with the right hand side to you with mechs and chainwheels and chains etc towards you! Otherwise as said above.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Don't carry it with the right hand side to you with mechs and chainwheels and chains etc towards you! Otherwise as said above.

DOH, my fault didn't even think to point out that bit.

Should have said stand to the left hand side with the bike facing forwards because ...........
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My butler carries my bike. Whilst my flunky fans me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I can't carry mine comfortably, the shock is in the wrong place. Ride or push.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    If I'm carrying for any length of time, I prefer the following method, in which the weight of the bike rests not on your shoulder, but across the fleshy part of the top of your back or on the top of your pack if it sits high enough:

Stand on the driveside of the bike, with the driveside crank pointing straight down.
    Grasp the crank with your left hand and the fork's driveside lower with your right.
    Lift the bike straight up and over your head, and bring it down so that the middle of the downtube rests on/across your left shoulder, then settle it into a comfortable position.
    Let the forks flop round so the front wheel lies vertically, with your hand on the inside.

You can see me using this method here, on the very steep climb up to the ridgeway above Llyn-y-Fan Fach in the Brecon Beacons - carrying is far easier than pushing!:
    1558539_10204959754137306_2665750879000005063_n_zps9346ca52.jpg
  • Th3P
    Th3P Posts: 91
    Thanks to everyone for the responses, Really helpful :)

Thanks again
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Personally I grab top tube by the seat tube in right hand and grab left hand bar at the grip with the left, the right hand is up by my shoulder holding the bike and the left is pulling down on the bar slightly to counterweight the rear wheel. So long as the cranks are in a comfortable orientation I find this is both quick to pick up/put Down and easy to valence and even run holding it like that.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Th3P wrote:
    Bare with me!
    Now there's an offer that's easy to refuse
  • If shock positioning prohibits top tube on shoulder you can use the nose of the saddle on the shoulder. I also use my left shoulder over my right due to handedness and a previously separated shoulder makinghaving a bike on my right shoulder hurts.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Always find bike on the back is easier than pushing when it comes to steep stuff, top tube across my shoulders/upper back and grab a hold of the stem/bars with my left hand and seat post with my right, works for me anyway!

My club roost is easier to lift up but not as fun down, orange is hard work to get to the top but well worth it for the downs.