Raised seat saddle adjustment query?

davoj
davoj Posts: 190
edited September 2014 in Road general
Hi,

I was getting a pain on the front of mu quad only when cycling so i raised my saddle by 0.5cm over the last few weeks and i am wondering do i need to move my seat forward or back to accommodate this adjustment?

Any help or feedback appreciated?

P.S i got a bike fit and the saddle was too low. The pain has stopped now since i raised the saddle.

Comments

• Personally, if the pain has stopped then I'd leave it as is. You could always mark the exact position of the saddle now and experiment with moving it if you wanted to though.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Prhymeate wrote:
    Personally, if the pain has stopped then I'd leave it as is. You could always mark the exact position of the saddle now and experiment with moving it if you wanted to though.

I'd agree with this.

Also the bike fit you had done said the saddle was too low which you've sorted but presumably it didn't say anything about the saddle also being too far forward or back?

If not and the pain has gone away I'd leave it alone :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Agree with all the above. However, if you are experimenting, then there's no harm in trying the saddle either forward or back, as long as you make sure you know where your start point was, if you need to re-set it.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As you raise the saddle it moves it backwards slightly. If you wanted to you could put it back, measure the horizontal distance and adjust for the change. Unless you are making large height adjustments I wouldn't worry too much, it is normally something you would adjust on the initial bike setup.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Kajjal wrote:
    As you raise the saddle it moves it backwards slightly. If you wanted to you could put it back, measure the horizontal distance and adjust for the change. Unless you are making large height adjustments I wouldn't worry too much, it is normally something you would adjust on the initial bike setup.
    Why?

Surely this depends on why you're moving it up?
    If the saddle height is incorrect then it seems unwise to assume the for/aft position also needs changing without a good reason.
  • When doing a bike fit, the very first thing you need to sort out is the saddle height and position. After this is done every other adjustable setting can be effected. Stem length, bar height can change alot from a small change in saddle position. You could change a stem for one that is 1 cm longer or shorter. If you then move the saddle back or forth the stem change would have been pointless since you just cancelled it out.