11 speed compatibility across manufacturers

beancounter
beancounter Posts: 369
edited September 2014 in Road general
Will a Shimano (Dura Ace) 11 speed wheel/cassette work quite happily in an otherwise 11 speed Campag drivetrain?

I've read somewhere that all 11 speed Shimano/Campag/SRAM is compatible in this way but I wouldn't want to find out the expensive way that it really isn't...

Anyone actually doing it?

Thanks for any help

bc
2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
2010 Colnago C50
2005 Colnago C40
2002 Colnago CT1
2010 Colnago World Cup
2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
2009 Merckx LXM
1995 Lemond Gan Team

Comments

• mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    yes
    Colnago Addict!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The spacing is slightly different so you'll be indexing your rear mech quite often if you cross Campag with Shimano/SRAM.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • mrdsgs wrote:
    yes

Thanks

Yes, it will work theoretically, or yes, you are doing it?

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • Grill wrote:
    The spacing is slightly different so you'll be indexing your rear mech quite often if you cross Campag with Shimano/SRAM.

Sorry to be dumb but I don't get the "quite often" bit, surely it will either work or it won't?

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Grill wrote:

Sorry to be dumb but I don't get the "quite often" bit, surely it will either work or it won't?

bc

It does 'work', but as Shimano/SRAM 11spd is 1.85mm wider, the indexing will never be quite right and require frequent indexing.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Recent relevant experience here. I recently changed 3 bikes to run 11speed. One on SRAM Red, one on Ultegra and one on Chorus. Some combos work better than others, but one just does not work at all. Running 11sp Chorus with my SRAM Red 11sp cassette was a no-go. Seriously didn't want to know. I rode it for 50 or so miles then took it to someone who knows much more than me about setting up bikes. He couldn't get it to shift satisfactorily at all. Put the Ultegra cassette on those wheels and hey presto.

Oddly, my bike with SRAM red shifters and running gear prefers the 11sp Chorus cassette to the SRAM Red one. Go figure.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Campag 11 speed cassette works perfectly with Ultegra 11 speed...tired and tested.
  • mrdsgs
    to expand on my "yes". I use a campag chorus 11 cassette ( on an older Zipp wheel with campag 9/10/11 free hub) in an otherwise entirely dura ace 9000 group. I interchange this wheel/cassette with another one that has an 11 speed shimano free hub and dura ace 9000 11 speed cassette (Roval CLX 60). no need to alter barrel adjuster or limit screws at all. Perfect compatibility. the 1.85mm issue relates to freehub length, not cassette. The spacing of all 3 manufacturers' 11 speed cassettes are identical.
    Colnago Addict!
  • mrdsgs wrote:
    the 1.85mm issue relates to freehub length, not cassette. The spacing of all 3 manufacturers' 11 speed cassettes are identical.

Why would they have different length freehubs if the cassettes are the same? Surely that means one manufacturer is making their freehub 1.85mm too long for their own cassette?
  • Thanks for all the responses

One last question - is it important to match the chain to the cassette or to the chainset, or doesn't it matter?

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Variation in freehub length can be accommodated by having a dished big sprocket and differing lockring arrangements. My understanding is sprocket spacing is identical. As long as the chain is 11 speed, it shouldn't make a difference.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Apologies to the OP for the thread hi-jack but theoretically if I bought a nice new frame and fitted a chorus gruppo my Campag Zondas with a Shimano 11 spd cassette should be fine?
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • mrdsgs
    yes
    Colnago Addict!
  • oldbazza wrote:
    Apologies to the OP for the thread hi-jack but theoretically if I bought a nice new frame and fitted a chorus gruppo my Campag Zondas with a Shimano 11 spd cassette should be fine?

Yes. From my experience just don't use a SRAM cassette (see my earlier post).
  • Thanks for all the responses

One last question - is it important to match the chain to the cassette or to the chainset, or doesn't it matter?

bc

From my experiences the chain shouldn't matter. Just make sure it's 11sp :wink:
  • Thanks from me as well.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My gf ran a 10sp Di2 mech with a Campag 10sp cassette and it worked perfectly, even though it was very slightly out (approx 1mm from memory, so 0.5mm at each end).

She has now upgraded this to 11sp and the cassette widths are identical.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • There is no difference in cassette spacing on any of the 11 speed groupsets - they are all the same.
    However diff hubs/wheels may have a slight difference in hub spacing - so you may have to make a few fine adjustments when changing between wheels with an 11 speed cassette.

So the answer to the OP's question is yes - Shimano 11sp cassette will work fine with a Campag 11sp drivetrain and vice-versa.
    Do it myself - 11sp Campag on winter bike and 11sp Shimano on race bike - often swap wheels between them no difference or problems.
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/bikes-and-tech/drivetrain-compatibility-hidden-in-plain-sight_303199
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Chain shouldn't matter, but I found SRAM chain better than DA chain on SRAM cassettes (Red22 chain vs DA9000, XG1190 cassette); on the other hand the same SRAM chain works well (and quietly) on an Ultegra cassette (6800).
  • oldbazza wrote:
    Apologies to the OP for the thread hi-jack but theoretically if I bought a nice new frame and fitted a chorus gruppo my Campag Zondas with a Shimano 11 spd cassette should be fine?

i have this set up - it works perfectly
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'