Cycling confessions

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
For those dirty little cycling related pleasures/secrets! What are yours? Here are a couple of mine...

I love the look of a steel frame with deep rimmed wheels. 50mm front and back is about optimum for my lusts.

Farting with chamois cream well applied for a long ride always amuses me.
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    TMI.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    My next road bike will be a Bianchi, for no other shallow, girly reason that I really like the colour.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • menthel
    elbowloh wrote:
    TMI.

:P
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    I compose a running racing commentary, complete with a Sean Kelly accent, throughout my commute. Imaginary Sean switches between bewilderment and contempt when my attacks from the front come to nothing, but is surprisingly gentle when I get spit out the back.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Dyrlac wrote:
    I compose a running racing commentary, complete with a Sean Kelly accent, throughout my commute. Imaginary Sean switches between bewilderment and contempt when my attacks from the front come to nothing, but is surprisingly gentle when I get spit out the back.

That actually made me lol.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Dyrlac wrote:

That actually made me lol.

+1
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Late last night me and my other half (who isn't a cyclist) Boris biked down CS8/Embankment, belly fully of beer and crawfish, with me singing GnR 'welcome to the jungle' occasionally getting into an aero drop position and trying to catch roadies.

Average speed was 9mph :lol:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Riding back from the pub yesterday evening was "interesting" ... especially when my better half complained that she was having to brake - so I put my foot down ... 30mph through a little village in the dark with potholes and 2 1/2 pints of beer and no food ... :o
    Slowed down a bit after that :)
  • When it rains I always imagine I am Tom Boonen, with 30 seconds advantage on the other escapees and 12 Km to go to Meerbeke... I guess I have not yet got over the fact they moved the RVV finish to Oudenaarde... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    When it rains I always imagine I am Tom Boonen, with 30 seconds advantage on the other escapees and 12 Km to go to Meerbeke... I guess I have not yet got over the fact they moved the RVV finish to Oudenaarde... :roll:

Yup! If it's dry or I'm going over flat cobbles then I'm Cancellara instead
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    menthel wrote:
    I love the look of a steel frame with deep rimmed wheels. 50mm front and back is about optimum for my lusts.

This should get those juices flowing...
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    periodically I post how much I love my dyno lighting on my commuter. i'll get a pic

I have an alfine hhub dyno and a B+M Luxos front and a rack mounted rear (cant remember which). The front light is amazing - really good shape of flood and very bright. Frankly I cant tell the difference on the hub (and it is draggier than a SON. I love not having to worry about recharging or removing lights when I lock the bike. Wiring at the front is not much of a deal - 3 or 4 wraps around a fork leg. The wiring to the rear is a bit more obtrusive but I have a black frame and black wire so no big deal
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    I laughed at some trendy guy on his fixie when he overtook me whilst I was waiting at a red, then promptly hit his pedal on the curb at speed... It must have been pretty painful
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • jedster wrote:
    periodically I post how much I love my dyno lighting on my commuter. i'll get a pic

I have an alfine hhub dyno and a B+M Luxos front and a rack mounted rear (cant remember which). The front light is amazing - really good shape of flood and very bright. Frankly I cant tell the difference on the hub (and it is draggier than a SON. I love not having to worry about recharging or removing lights when I lock the bike. Wiring at the front is not much of a deal - 3 or 4 wraps around a fork leg. The wiring to the rear is a bit more obtrusive but I have a black frame and black wire so no big deal

I like to post in the wrong thread to confuse people...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • menthel
    leeefm wrote:
    menthel wrote:

Not bad... ;)
    RIP commute...
  • I use babywipes to clean my bike after a ride. I used to blame my children for Sh*iting too much when my wife would ask me what happened to them all.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    If you heard my thoughts when I was on the bike you'd all rightly think I am the most arrogant man on the planet.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmmmmm - yes you are right......

As for confessions, I hate it that the few cyclists who I do see on my commute seem to pass me just as I'm having a daydreaming moment and not going very fast, can't resist the urge to crank it up and give chase - very childish!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    menthel wrote:
    leeefm wrote:
    menthel wrote:

Not bad... ;)
    Steel top tubes must be horizontal, as must the stems on such frames. Anything else is an abomination to my eye. For some reason, though it's perfectly acceptable on aluminium or carbon frames.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I really love the look of aero bikes...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    ddraver wrote:
    I really love the look of aero bikes...
    Well, Wiggo's new TT bike is a stunner:

SirBradleyWiggins22014WorldTimeTrialC_3208336.jpg?20140924180829

Wiggins_ITT_Worlds_2014-512x314.jpg
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, but to be honest not as nice as 238183_91859_tif_zoom_1.jpg for me anyway
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I'm not a fan of some of the swoopy shapes and aero frames, or full suss MTB's. But then I am a curmudgeonly old git and that's not just a cycling confession.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm not a fan of some of the swoopy shapes and aero frames, or full suss MTB's. But then I am a curmudgeonly old git and that's not just a cycling confession.

I like FS bikes to ride, but equally I don't really rate their looks much, in terms of looks I like the simple FG/SS most other bikes I find to cluttered to my eye.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I am completely with you, apart not being a curmudgeonly old git.

Aero frames are the worst, fugly things. Nothing looks nicer than a proper steel framed bike. The only carbon frame that comes close (imo) is the cervelo R5, particularly it's drool-inducing seat stays.....
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    i'm dissappointed when I seem someone in front of me on my commute home and they don't turn off to go up the big hill that I'm about to go up. each one is a lost chance to embarress someone by scalping them uphill on my Brompton :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    I once hit a pheasant, finished it of with my pump and stuck it in my bag. It was very tasty.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • A mate of mine says he's not ready for a 100Km ride yet, so I've done him a 50 mile route that takes in Snake Pass and Winnats Pass.

I should feel guilty. I don't
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Hmmmmm - yes you are right......

As for confessions, I hate it that the few cyclists who I do see on my commute seem to pass me just as I'm having a daydreaming moment and not going very fast, can't resist the urge to crank it up and give chase - very childish!

I confess to this as well and, hand on heart, like you, it does always seem to happen on that rare moment that I'm dawdling.

I confess further though that, if they give a cheery hello, I may let them go. If they don't even acknowledge me I give chase!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Out for a bike ride with Mrs BBGeek today and we overtook an old chap on a bike. The bike was a ladie's single-speed or 3-speed from the 70's, complete with rack and flower-patterned clip-on bag. The machine was immaculate, he was resplendent in beige with flat cap and I immediately thought: I want one of those (the bike, not the old man).

Now I feel dirty, even though I have bathed in Dettol since getting home. Nice bike, though :oops:
    Ecrasez l’infame