Hideously long aero bonce receptacles.

FocusZing
FocusZing Posts: 4,373
edited November 2014 in Pro race
The wind tunnel streamliners slip through the air giving up every last peice of effort. Seeing them looking down giving the Chris Froome really vexes me thus, with the feckless sponsored air brake.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    That's why they are generally switching to rounded helmets like the Sky / GB Kask.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I take it we mean this sort of thing:

Good:
    pic372688193_670.jpg

Good:
    br11st4_WIGGINS_TT1.jpg

Bad:
    notaero.jpg
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • FocusZing
    Pross wrote:
    That's why they are generally switching to rounded helmets like the Sky / GB Kask.

Yes I have seem them start to appear.
  • FocusZing
    Daz555 wrote:

I know its for a short amount of time but it still annoys me, the same as a large radio stuffed down a skin suit and flapping safety pin position numbers on a £6k+ bike.

aero+helmet+3.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Daz555 wrote:

Good:
    pic372688193_670.jpg

Good:
    br11st4_WIGGINS_TT1.jpg

Bad:
    notaero.jpg

Roadie

Roadie

Triathlete
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Roadie

Roadie

Triathlete
    Whether no.3 is a triathlete or not is irrelevant. There's no shortage of the same from roadies
  • Daz555
    Here's the best tester on the planet up to no good:

tony_martin_time_trial.jpg?itok=Xs9KYgmF

0396_WorldsTT_Tony_MARTIN_1st_stPhSpt.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Daz555 wrote:
    Here's the best tester on the planet up to no good:
    It's a handicapping system. The more he beats everyone by, the longer the fin he has to have.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    Pross wrote:

2-chris-froome-620x511.jpg

Makes a lot of sense for Chris Froomes head down effort style of riding.
  • FocusZing
    malori-ItTT.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Roadie

Roadie

Triathlete
    Whether no.3 is a triathlete or not is irrelevant. There's no shortage of the same from roadies

fun-sponge.jpg
  • Nothing really new with shorter aero helmets.

Chris-Boardman-1995-Criterium-Int-Watson.jpg
  • I have seen the future....
    49022.00.jpg
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Didn't Obree train with a bungee cord sewn into the back of his jersey which clipped to the back of his helmet ?
    - forced him to keep his head in the right position

Typical Obree thinking, perfectly logical, but a bit leftfield :lol:
  • FocusZing
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Didn't Obree train with a bungee cord sewn into the back of his jersey which clipped to the back of his helmet ?

Yes. In the same way he built his TT bike beating large manufactures, brilliant eccentricity, will power.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    andy_wrx wrote:

Haha, genius! As I would expect from him
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I've got a club mate who is a bit Obree like in his ways if not in his riding ability. He has some velcro on the helmet point and the other half in the corresponding part of his skin suit to do the same as that Obree technique. He has also fixed a pouch to his skinsuit that his race number fits into so that everything is kept flat and doesn't flap around as it would when pinned on.
  • Paul 8v
    That's not a bad idea, I was thinking of doing something similar as the pin holes start to knacker the skinsuit after a while and they're £100 a pop!
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    andy_wrx wrote:

Not new either, Maitre Jacques worked obsessively on holding his egg shaped tuck and Alf Engers position and ability to hold it were pretty good.

The don't look down mantra has been hammered for years for safety reasons, but everyone does it.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It would be interesting to see what positions and gear Boardman and Obree would bring if they were still riding. Obviously Obree would be more likely to be radical but Boardman would be at the forefront of refining the more traditional position.
  • FocusZing
    Bradley-Wiggins-2014-world-time-trial-champion-630x427.jpeg

Brilliant win for Sir Bradley Wiggins, Great to see the Union Jack balance to the line. Looking forward to David Millars team.
  • Daz555
    Paul 8v wrote:
    That's not a bad idea, I was thinking of doing something similar as the pin holes start to knacker the skinsuit after a while and they're £100 a pop!
    The pins thing is so 1930s it is crazy. Surely by now we can come up with a sensible solution!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I use race belts for triathlon - you need to have the number on your back for the bike and on the front for the run - so you pin to an elastic belt and you can turn it round. It flaps at the bottom - but maybe you could do a double belt ?
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Good:
    br11st4_WIGGINS_TT1.jpg

Stylistically fantastic.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    cougie wrote:
    I use race belts for triathlon - you need to have the number on your back for the bike and on the front for the run - so you pin to an elastic belt and you can turn it round. It flaps at the bottom - but maybe you could do a double belt ?

People have tried that but the belts tend to move towards each other apparently
  • Daz555
    Daz555 wrote:
    Good:
    br11st4_WIGGINS_TT1.jpg

Stylistically fantastic.
    I reckon it is my favourite ever bike/kit/lid combo.

Hmm, or perhaps this one from TOB 2014:

Bradley-Wiggins-Tour-of-Britain-2014-stage-8-ITT-610x406.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    JackPozzi wrote:
    cougie wrote:

People have tried that but the belts tend to move towards each other apparently
    I did see some magnets somewhere, they weren't cheap but they were cheaper than buying new numbers all the time. Especially when some people fold them up to make them smaller and trash them
  • ^I like the kit better but much prefer the bike im the first.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    He's using a different tri spoke these days by the looks of it, I think it was a de-badged HED before?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Used a pro tri spoke, the newest one out. Supposed to be the best tri spoke out there....