Routes in and around Whitby

The_Slowboat
The_Slowboat Posts: 30
edited September 2014 in Road general
Hello,

I am heading up to Whitby for a short break and was wondering where the locals tend to head out for a good ride?

I've searched the forum and most of the results mention the cinder track along the coast however I'm looking for something more road based. Either a scenic 50ish mile blast down the coast or a trip into the Moors.

What is worth checking out?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions,

Paul

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I often do the Scarborough> Pickering> Whitby> Scarborough triangle in the summer months. This involves coming over the moors to Whitby via Egton bridge and down Guisborough Road into Whitby.

I imagine you could do it partially in reverse. In other words, go out of Whitby up the Guisborough road, past the turn off for Aislaby (or even take the turn off and ride on the quieter road that runs parallel to Guisborough road out to Egton) and then go down the big hill into Egton and do the big climb out the other side that takes you to the top of the moors and then down to Rosedale Abbey. How you come back is upto you as there are quite a lot of roads that come back over the moors to Whitby. You could go left of your route to Rosedale and come back out anywhere near Glaisdale, Lealholm, Danby or Castleton and then back down Guisborough road to Whitby. Or, alternatively, take a detour to the East of Rosedale to Cropton and come back via Levisham and back up to Egton or Grosmont (along the top edge of the valley the old Pickering to Whitby Steam railway runs).

It's a good idea to have a look at something like the OpenStreetMap in CycleMap mode for ideas where to ride. The only really busy part of those routes are the beginning and end bits on Guisborough Road.

The Cinder Track is also a good ride. You don't need a mountain bike to do it as it's just a bit sandy and gravely but mainly flat. A CX bike would have no problems with it.
  • Pretty much what's said above.

The Wheeldale Roman Road from Cropton to Egton and then on to Sleights via Grosmont is a cracking run. The climb out of Egton is a bit special as is the one out of Grosmont.

TBH if you can't find anywhere to ride a bike in this part of the country, you don't enjoy riding your bike. It's got some silly climbs but that just adds to the fun. I've been on 8 cycling holidays in that area (based out of Pickering) in the past 15 years and I always find a new route to try.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Thanks guys, the advice is much appreciated.

Meant to be a Westerly wind when I ride so I think I'll go for Whitby>Grossmont>Pickering>Scarborough>Whitby in order to claim a little tail wind between Pickering and Scarborough.

Thanks again for the tips, look forward to riding it.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    When doing the Pickering to Scarborough bit it's more scenic to take the left in Thornton Le Dale and go up the hill and take the right into Dalby forest and then ride over the main road in the forest through Bickley, Hackness and out to Scarborough. Much quieter and traffic free. When you bomb down into Dalby after the toll gate (free to cyclists) there is a village to your right with a cafe and cycle hire and cycle shop in the center of it (Dalby Courtyard Cafe and Pace cycles, as well as a fork repair center). Just head straight out the back of the village up the tarmac hill for the shortest route. They've even resurfaced it recently so the top halfs as smooth as a billiard table.

In fact, i wouldn't even go all the way to Pickering in the first place but detour at Levisham and go straight out to the main road and straight into Dalby.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Thanks guys, the advice is much appreciated.

Meant to be a Westerly wind when I ride so I think I'll go for Whitby>Grossmont>Pickering>Scarborough>Whitby in order to claim a little tail wind between Pickering and Scarborough.

Thanks again for the tips, look forward to riding it.

I wouldnt ride on the A170 / A171 - both are quite busy roads and not that pleasant, defintely get up into the Dales, which is much more scenic and quieter roads, with some great cllimbs to take in.

you could loop into this one
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2584531
    by going from Whitby thru Ruswarp Sleights Grosmont Egton to Glaisdale. It takes in Rosedale Chimney Bank which is one of top 3 hardest climbs in UK, if you dont fancy that cut from mile 11 to mile 23 up new road / knott road for a more gradual ascent up to Blakey ridge. You'll get the westerley all the way back to Whitby and predominenetly downhill from Blakey.

(I used to live in Glaisdale and have a holiday home in Whitby so I know the area very well)
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem