Right-Hooked SMIDSY in AMS

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
My nightmare in Amsterdam is turning into my street off Overtoom (big road into the city) as I have to cross the bike path and there's a line of parked cars between me and the path itself making visibility difficult. My technique is to approach my road quite quickly, scanning the path for bikes (it's effectively like a bike lane "mostly" one-way) before turning in. I have a horrible fear of missing someone and right-hooking them.

Well, today it happened to me on my bike. The guy who did it had far less of an excuse as the path is clearly visible from the road. Fortunately, in throwing out all the anchors, I induced a bit of a tail slide so hit him more sideways than head-on, bringing my shoulder against his passenger's (rather shocked wife) window. My left hand ring finger suffered the worst damage, caught between the brake lever and the car - the end has gone a funny colour and my thigh is a bit sore but at least the bike is OK and no real damage done. On the positive side, the driver basically apologised immediately saying he had no excuse - took the steam out of the situation.

So, it's not all roses in the Dutch model but generally it is pretty good.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• How long do we have to wait for pictures of said injured finger...?
  • How long do we have to wait for pictures of said injured finger...?

Let's see what colour it is in the morning :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    How long do we have to wait for pictures of said injured finger...?

Let's see what colour it is in the morning :wink:
    So, you'll only post a picture of your finger if it turns a colour you don't like? Sounds a bit racist to me!*

*I'm joking!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    On the positive side, the driver basically apologised immediately saying he had no excuse - took the steam out of the situation.

So, it's not all roses in the Dutch model but generally it is pretty good.

That and he knows you could take him to the cleaners if you wanted. To be honest, a dutch person would do...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Sorry - thread hijack. Any good cycle (clothing) shops in Den Haag or Amsterdam? Mrs F is out there at the moment and seeking inspiration (for me).
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Sorry - thread hijack. Any good cycle (clothing) shops in Den Haag or Amsterdam? Mrs F is out there at the moment and seeking inspiration (for me).

Tromm is probably the best shop I've found. It's near the RAI conference centre in Amsterdam. It doesn't look much from the outside but good inside.
  • Lovely - thanks
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Not having much luck with the Paddy Wagon in the last few days. Firstly ruined a front tyre (£35 Open Pave ouch!) not noticing that the rim brake (work of the Devil) was rubbing slightly. Scared the B'Jeezus out of me when it went BANG in my apartment! :shock:

Then I had this bump yesterday. And then, today, I noticed a had a flat on the rear. Wondering if the rear tyre I'd getting thin but it turns out the puncture was on the inside face of the tube (right on the seam) - must just have been a bit of crap inside as the rim tape looks perfect.

Still, I've had it a year almost to the day and these are the only issues so I shouldn't complain. Fun bike.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Sorry - thread hijack. Any good cycle (clothing) shops in Den Haag or Amsterdam? Mrs F is out there at the moment and seeking inspiration (for me).

Tromm is probably the best shop I've found. It's near the RAI conference centre in Amsterdam. It doesn't look much from the outside but good inside.

There's a Rapha club now isnt there..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not having much luck with the Paddy Wagon in the last few days. Firstly ruined a front tyre (£35 Open Pave ouch!) not noticing that the rim brake (work of the Devil) was rubbing slightly. Scared the B'Jeezus out of me when it went BANG in my apartment! :shock:
    Not as much as it would have scared you riding at 25mph with traffic up your chuff I'll bet!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Not having much luck with the Paddy Wagon in the last few days. Firstly ruined a front tyre (£35 Open Pave ouch!) not noticing that the rim brake (work of the Devil) was rubbing slightly. Scared the B'Jeezus out of me when it went BANG in my apartment! :shock:
    Not as much as it would have scared you riding at 25mph with traffic up your chuff I'll bet!

Too true. Too true. A front tyre blow out would have been "exciting" in those circumstances :shock: