Gearing down to go faster? Fixed content inside.

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
I've nearly forgotten how much harder pushing through cold air is.
My theory this winter is to gear the fixed bike down and save the hard sessions for the Turbo Trainer post commute. The aim to come out faster than ever in Spring.

Current 48x17 = 74.2
New 44x16 = 72.3

@90RPM thats 1.5mph slower.

Who's running a similar GI and how much will SCR suffer? :|

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Still good for 26mph at 120mph. I thought half the point of riding a fixie was to force yourself to spin, rather than forcing yourself to grind...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • iPete
    TGOTB wrote:
    Still good for 26mph at 120mph. I thought half the point of riding a fixie was to force yourself to spin, rather than forcing yourself to grind...

Yeah I started in the macho 'big' gear camp 2 years ago (51x17) and have been gradually working my way down since... think I'll bite the bullet and order in the new drivetrain..
  • tgotb
    iPete wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Yeah I started in the macho 'big' gear camp 2 years ago (51x17) and have been gradually working my way down since... think I'll bite the bullet and order in the new drivetrain..
    If you search around on the web, you can get these things called "shifters". You use cables to connect them to "mechs", and replace the cog on your back wheel with a thing called a "cassette". Once you've completed this upgrade, you can change your gearing almost instantly, WITHOUT EVEN GETTING OFF THE BIKE :shock:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    TGOTB wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

If you search around on the web, you can get these things called "shifters". You use cables to connect them to "mechs", and replace the cog on your back wheel with a thing called a "cassette". Once you've completed this upgrade, you can change your gearing almost instantly, WITHOUT EVEN GETTING OFF THE BIKE :shock:
    Progress, schmogress.
    Real fixed riders wanting to change gear learn to pull an endo and then change the rear wheel before landing.

I'm thinking of switching from 47x15 to 47x17. I don't have the legs for grinding out 30mph+ from standing starts at the moment so I may as well relearn how to spin.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    It looks like I have the legs size wise but I use silicon inserts but don't have the power for grinding out 20mph+ from standing starts at the moment so I may as well relearn how to spin.

ftfy
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    iPete wrote:
    Current 48x17 = 74.2
    New 44x16 = 72.3

I've been running 44x16 for years and find it just about perfect for me. The bike was 44x18 when I got it second hand but the chap lived near some actual hills...

Got to look after those knees in winter.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    TGOTB wrote:

You can get a little electric motor now so you don't even have to peddle. Ain't technology grand! :wink:
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • I think I'm on 48 x 14.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • 48x15's the way to go.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • I'm on 46-18, which suits me since I can get up the Surrey Hills near me and I'm not interested in SCR on the fixed. Or I'm just a softie, take your pick.
  • Irvinet wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

You can get a little electric motor now so you don't even have to peddle. Ain't technology grand! :wink:

I'm not sold on that idea...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Which one? Or either?
  • tgotb
    I think I'm on 48 x 14.
    :shock:
    I have 48x15 on my track bike, and that's good up to nearly 40mph...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Surely this rather depends on your commute and use?

I used the SS for short commutes though Royal Parks and occasional Surrey Hills, so 75in or there abouts seem to be the sweet spot low enought to get up most hills but fast enought to hit low 30's
  • Which one? Or either?

Someone tell Andrew... I can't...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • If it's good enough for Cancellara ....
  • iPete
    Surely this rather depends on your commute and use?

I used the SS for short commutes though Royal Parks and occasional Surrey Hills, so 75in or there abouts seem to be the sweet spot low enought to get up most hills but fast enought to hit low 30's

Flat of the land commute (Richmond Park counts as flat) and occasional destroyer of MAMILS on Box Hill.

I just want to ease off a little and concentrate on destroying myself on the Turbo Trainer this winter.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    I think I'm on 48 x 14.
    :shock:
    I have 48x15 on my track bike, and that's good up to nearly 40mph...

Grin. Oh yeah, it is technically my track bike. But I ride it fixed on the roads too and just pop the caliper and lever off for the track. But then I can guarantee I won't be spinning as quickly as you!
  • iPete wrote:
    Surely this rather depends on your commute and use?

Flat of the land commute (Richmond Park counts as flat) and occasional destroyer of MAMILS on Box Hill.

I just want to ease off a little and concentrate on destroying myself on the Turbo Trainer this winter.

Sounds like a plan I'd thought it would be easier to terrorise MAMIL up BoxHill with a mildly lower gearing, but that rather depends, on how you work? I was always quite happy plodding up hills at a low RPM, and like wise don't often shift down forlights etc, since I find it easy to give a blip of torque and I'm up to speed.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    iPete wrote:
    My theory this winter is to gear the fixed bike down and save the hard sessions for the Turbo Trainer post commute. The aim to come out faster than ever in Spring.

Current 48x17 = 74.2
    New 44x16 = 72.3

Those are big gear inches in my book, but I live among hills and have never ridden fixed over 69". Normally less than that...

In truth, the difference between 72.3 and 74.2 will be hard to discern in most instances once under way. If you are going up and down the same hills you will notice it, but it is not a HUGE difference.

In the matter of fixed and single-speed, most people seem to hav their own idea of ratios based on their own routes and preferences. I would never presume to offer an opinion for fear of inviting ridicule for my own set-up.

But if I did offer an view, it would be this: Your gearing choices suggest you are an inferior rider to me, with less understanding of the principles involved and you do not fully grasp the true beauty and function of a fixed-gear bicycle. I hope I have been helpful.
  • dhope
    Debeli wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Current 48x17 = 74.2
    New 44x16 = 72.3

Those are big gear inches in my book, but I live among hills and have never ridden fixed over 69". Normally less than that...

In truth, the difference between 72.3 and 74.2 will be hard to discern in most instances once under way. If you are going up and down the same hills you will notice it, but it is not a HUGE difference.

In the matter of fixed and single-speed, most people seem to hav their own idea of ratios based on their own routes and preferences. I would never presume to offer an opinion for fear of inviting ridicule for my own set-up.

But if I did offer an view, it would be this: Your gearing choices suggest you are an inferior rider to me, with less understanding of the principles involved and you do not fully grasp the true beauty and function of a fixed-gear bicycle. I hope I have been helpful.
    Good thing you don't offer an opinion, because if you had it would indeed have sounded ridiculous :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope wrote:
    Debeli wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Current 48x17 = 74.2
    New 44x16 = 72.3

Good thing you don't offer an opinion, because if you had it would indeed have sounded ridiculous :wink:
    I'm assuming a tongue was very firmly in a cheek. Whose tongue and whose cheek, I can't say.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Debeli wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Current 48x17 = 74.2
    New 44x16 = 72.3

I'm assuming a tongue was very firmly in a cheek. Whose tongue and whose cheek, I can't say.

Has DDD got a pseudonym?
  • dhope
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Debeli wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Current 48x17 = 74.2
    New 44x16 = 72.3

Has DDD got a pseudonym?
    Don't be silly, you can't scale Balham Hill on anything greater than a 20" gear ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Debeli wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Current 48x17 = 74.2
    New 44x16 = 72.3

Has DDD got a pseudonym?
    Yes, it's DDD. His real name is Lawrence, I think.

Discuss.

• iPete
    Well that was a great re-read, I'm clearly yet to find my zen. :lol:

I've now dropped down to 44x16 and the difference is tangible, who'd have thought 2 inches would make so big a difference? But the legs are adjusting and hammering into last nights storm was a hoot.

Hopefully the Turbo Trainer and Powertap wheel arrive this week and I can put the easy commute/proper training theory into action.
  • Just switched from 46/18 (67.3"), which is good for the Surrey Hills and in heavy traffic, but a bit spinny on the flat.

Swapped the cog to give 46/17 (71.3"). Tried this morning and definitely better for the commute. Very happy.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Sheldon's GI calculator takes into account tyre size, which has a surprisingly large effect. On 25mm tyres, 42x16 is 69.2", whereas on 32mm tyres, that same 42x16 is 70.9". Does this mean I get to claim that I'm running more than 70 inches and therefore can delay HTFUing to 46x16?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Whilst changing tyres last week I accidentally flipped to 48/16T 79.1 I'm not enjoying that very much, that'll be reversed some point soon.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    Whilst changing tyres last week I accidentally flipped to 48/16T 79.1 I'm not enjoying that very much, that'll be reversed some point soon.
    You have a fixed/fixed hub?

79.1" is pretty sporty. Should we look out for you starting a Silly Commuter Knee Injury thread?