One thing I hadnt bargained for with Assos bibshorts

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited October 2014 in Road general
So my Assos S5 Uno bibshorts arrived today and first ride using them was fabulous. These are the first Assos product ive ever purchased and whilst on my bike I literally forgot I was sitting on a bike saddle. The fit was sublime , size medium was absolutely perfect on me and that Assos S5 chamois was a revelation for me.

The only erm niggle I found was washing them. Usually I dump my cycling kit in the washing machine , select 40 degrees and wait for the spin cycle to complete after the wash is done . Next step is drape the gear over a radiator and that's it. With the Uno`s I had to put them in the supplied Assos mesh bag and select 30 degree hand wash on the Zanussi. The booklet that came with them says not to spin dry them either and that is a right pain in the ar$e to be honest. I had to stand wringing the water out by hand over the sink and the drips on the floor had my wife barking in my ear.

The ride quality using the Uno`s was like no bibshorts I have ever used in the past but the washing is a bit of a pain. Does it really do any harm to spin dry Assos bibs and what do you guys do with yours ?
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No bag, Assos cleaner, time saver wash and reduce the spin speed. Pack away when dry (Do not think they like sunlight).

Might take better care of next pair I get, but do not like the sound of not spinning the water out of them.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Mine just go in the wash with everything else and they are fine.
  • Just washed my cycling gear. It all went on a 30 degree wash (as per instructions on the Assos bibs, Torm jersey, UnderArmour base layer etc), usual detergent (not sure which one, whatever we use for all other clothes), and a spin cycle at the end. Does a great job, all the cycling clothes look as good as new after having had that treatment at least weekly for the past 6 months.
  • Putting them in the bag is probably a good idea. Washing machines are a bit vicious, and most of my well-used kit is looking a bit tatty in the reflective bits etc - despite turning everything inside out. You'll generally be advised not to use softener - I don't, but the main effect I've ever noticed from not rinsing the machine is the way the difference softener changes the feel of the fabric. For detergent I find that I get sores less often when I use an antibacterial detergent (even if it's just Tesco own), and my kit smells fresher.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    I think the "Sports wash" does not clean your cycling gear properly - sometimes esp a baselayer still comes out with a "Wet Dog" whiff when it's dry. so now i wash them as a colour wash at a higher temp and no wet dog smells :D - makes you wonder years ago how did we all manage without the "Sports Wash function eh" ?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I wash all my synthetic sports gear with a normal 30 degree wash cycle, normal detergent, no softner. No problems.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    I wash all my synthetic sports gear with a normal 30 degree wash cycle, normal detergent, no softner. No problems.

But do you spin it dry ?

Assos advise against it and that's a right pain.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Assos live on planet Assos.
    Bringing their gear to the real world does not seem to do it any harm.
    Just be sensible with it and see how it goes.

I could (and will with my next Assos bibs) follow all the instructions, except the no spin one.
    Happy to have a low spin, but need most of the water out so that a quick airing will then leave ready for storage.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    All my gear at 30 with liquid detergent and no conditioner. 15 minute cycle followed by fast 1200 spin. Works for me and ready to use the following day...
  • Most of these washing instructions are there to simply provide an avenue to pass the blame on, I find. I've washed my gear like normal coloured clothes for years, and have yet to have problems with them due to the washing.

You'll be fine.
  • Mine go in with everything else on a normal 30degree wash and after a good three months of weekly washing they are perfectly fine.

I havent even read the washing instructions.
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    All my kit goes into the same wash and is spun at 1400rpm however with modern man-made materials, inlcuding pads, they dry very quickly. So if you are really paranoid about sticking to Assos stupid instructions leave them on the washing line or hang in the shower. They will dry in hardly any time - I would hand wring/squeeze.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Ai_1 wrote:

But do you spin it dry ?

Assos advise against it and that's a right pain.
    I use the normal washing machine spin cycle to centrifuge it, if that's what you mean (default speed which is something like 1000RPM). I don't tumble dry any of my sports gear.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I do everything using normal detergent, cold cycle and maximum spin speed. My only issue is keeping white (Castelli) arm and legwarmers properly white. Answer: buy black ones next time.
  • Both Assos shorts Ive had have gone grey and they only get washed on a delicate cycle, with delicates liquid for 25 minutes and 600 rpm spin. Unless you look after them your bum crack will soon be showing above the pad at the back. Be warned
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I handwash with the assos detergent and then spin them on full spin to dry. the S5 Uno bibs are still in good condition after nearly 4 seasons of use
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I've had my S5s 5 years and my Milles 4. I was them inside out, no bag as I lost it, on a 30 minute wash without conditioner and a quick spin. Hang dry over the bike stuff clothes horse in the utility room. Still as comfy as the day I first got them.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    My Assos bibs go in the little bag and then into the laundry basket with the rest of my gear. One or two days later they magically appear, clean and dry, in the wardrobe.

All hail the Laundry Fairy :D
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    All the gym/cycling gear goes in on a Sunday afternoon, normal 30 degC wash, no conditioner, normal spin.

Final dry on the airer or the washing line.

We do put 'colour catcher' in the wash.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I've been looking at Assos bib shorts on some online shops.

When you buy these bib shorts, do they make you look like the guy in the Assos photos? He doesn't look happy to be wearing them, maybe because he's realised his bike is missing?

assos-t-fi-uno-logo-bib-shorts-167008-11.jpg

Surely somebody would phone the police if I went out looking like this...

assos-t-cento-s7-bib-shorts.jpg
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • I shall pass on this advice to management.

I leave mine on the bedroom floor and somehow they disappear for a few hours and then reappear in my wardrobe.
    Clearly the act of moving them across the room also removes all odours.

I do wash the car and mow the lawn on my own though.
  • Well played Dippy, well played.
  • Unless you look after them your bum crack will soon be showing above the pad at the back. Be warned
    Is there a particular method of avoiding this? If so I shall pass it on to two guys in my club who I don't enjoy following on group rides. :(
  • I asked my laundry maid how she washes them and she replied "But Sire, we provide you with a new pair every ride".

I guess that answers that then, they don't need washing.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Mine Assos Uno's have been spun at 1400rpm a fair few times over the last couple of years and the only damage to them is a bit of rub from a saddle bag
  • all this talk of 30 degree washes - I've been washing my cycling kit (and well..... everything else) at 40 degrees for ever. I'll conform from now on and switch to 30 degrees, and probably save myself a few pennies into the bargain!
  • ManOfKent wrote:
    Unless you look after them your bum crack will soon be showing above the pad at the back. Be warned
    Is there a particular method of avoiding this? If so I shall pass it on to two guys in my club who I don't enjoy following on group rides. :(
    Tell them. They'll soon buy some new shorts.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I think my newly purchased S5 Uno`s are amazing but one thing is kind of weird in that I can wear my 50 quid btwin supportive 7 bibs , wash them in whatever I want, spin dry them, use any kind of chamois product, ride the hell out of them and they still look like new. Bizarrely it appears if I don't stand at the sink handwashing my S5 Uno`s and woe betide that I stick them in the washing machine to spy dry then my ar$e crack will be peering back at riders behind me :shock:

Don't get me wrong , the ride quality and fit with the Uno`s are phenomenal, but I could literally park a tank on the supportive 7`s and they would come out unscathed.
  • i wash all my gear Inc Assos in wash bags on a hand wash setting 30'c 400RPM with Assos active cleaner. No issues whatsoever
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I've used Assos shorts of various types for over 30 years, back to the time they had natural chamois in them. I've always machine washed at low temp with no fabric softener, alway spun (these days at 1400rpm) and hung out to dry on the line - sunlight is a good anti-bacterial. They still last me years.