New shoes

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
I managed to knock a lump off my current spd shoes yesterday and now they are a bit wonky for walking in! I therefore would like to get a new pair of shoes- I need spd ones as I need to be able to walk in them (up to 10 minutes or so for getting the boy to school). I have been looking at the giro touring ones- laced or ratchet and want to know what you guys are using or would recommend. I don't need them for off road so a stiff soled more road/touring shoe would suit me best.
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    I've got some specialized shoes, a bit like these. They're really comfy, but perhaps not stiff enough for you. I commuted in them for years, until I went SPD-SL.

They also do these, but they just look roughly the same but with a less walkable sole.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • menthel
    leeefm wrote:
    I've got some specialized shoes, a bit like these. They're really comfy, but perhaps not stiff enough for you. I commuted in them for years, until I went SPD-SL.

They also do these, but they just look roughly the same but with a less walkable sole.

Thanks Lee, I think I would prefer something with a ratchet though. I think I am coming round to the giro territory.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Mavic do these touring sole SPDs with a ratchet closing

359238.jpg

http://www.mavic.co.uk/footwear-road-cyclo-tour-sport#.VB2tK1h0w-U

Specialized used to do one very similar with a top ratchet that they called the Elite Touring :

file_5_60.png

But they seem to have dropped it for 2015 leaving only the three velcro strap model.

A few shops seem to still have 2014 stock e.g.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-elite-touring-shoe-2013?gclid=CLiptsme8MACFdLKtAodeHMAVQ
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Bought the Spesh Comps or something over a year ago. Abput £100, with the rachet, but worth it - very comfortable.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I find Northwave very comfortable, and good quality.
  • menthel
    Thanks all. I decided to go with none of the advice and have ordered a pair of giro territory into my local evans! ;)
    RIP commute...