Canyon Endurace CF

Comments

• nollag, waiting in all day as far as I was concerned. The driver arrived at about lunchtime in my case.
  • thanks Andrew,will have to take a day off so,cheers
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    I felt the UPS update was fairly spot on. It told me when the bike arrived in London and then an estimated am or pm arrival.

Since my mates bike arrived in the afternoon. I knew mine would be the same. It arrived around 3pm whereas his arrived at 4.30.

Yes do take the day off and await your new toy. Putting it together only takes 10 minutes. You might need a decent pair of scissors to cut the cassette protector cup off and then index the gearing slightly.

Look forward to your update! Would be kinda cool if there was a canyon bike meet (bit ott?)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Guys, I'm a bit of an idiot- what's the difference between the seat posts on the endurace?!

The stock one on the bike is -2/10mm setback

Or I can pay a bit more for 25/13mm setback?

More than happy to pay extra if needed/it's worth it but not 100% sure what the difference is!
  • Hi deswahriff

The main difference I find between the Roubaix and the Endurace is just how incredibly responsive the Canyon is, but it is still comfortable. I remember when I first rode my SL3 and it was immediate just how comfortable it was, when that was replaced (under warranty) with an SL4 I read that it was supposed to be slightly 'stiffer' and responsive but really I felt no difference in that respect - it was still comfortable but never felt like it wanted to go as fast as the Canyon!

When that was finally replaced with yet another warranty replacement, I decided enough was enough and started looking elsewhere. I finally arrived at the Canyon Endurace and after deciding what size to buy, went for it. I wondered whether I had made a mistake after my first ride when the seatpost kept slipping but now that is solved the bike is a dream to ride. I have the model with 105 groupset, so the lowliest of the range, but it certainly doesn't feel lowly. The ride I can only compare to the Pinarello Paris FP I rode back in 2007 - a real thorobred! The Canyon feels as responsive yet is more comfortable.

Size wise I used to ride a 56cm Roubaix and I have an XL Endurace. I tried the sizing system on the Canyon website, but in the end chose the XL based on the geometry charts. The Endurace TT is 1cm longer and the headtube .6mm taller, but the stack height of the Canyon is 21mm more giving me the more upright position I am after. The seat tube is the biggest difference between the two, the canyon is 8cm longer. But after some fettling and sorting the slipping seatpost it fits and rides just perfect.

I had hoped when I saw that they had launched the Aluminium version that this would have mudguard eyelets, which would have build into a perfect Winter bike but no such luck which is a shame because most aluminium equivalents from other manufacturers do have them.

All in all I'm delighted with the bike. I've had quick replies from Canyon UK to questions and they've helped sort the one problem I had out promptly and efficiently.

Hope this helps
    Ciao Marco
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    wanderer24 wrote:
    Guys, I'm a bit of an idiot- what's the difference between the seat posts on the endurace?!

The stock one on the bike is -2/10mm setback

Or I can pay a bit more for 25/13mm setback?

More than happy to pay extra if needed/it's worth it but not 100% sure what the difference is!
    Seatpost setback refers to the position you clamp your saddle relative to the seat tube and seatpost. You'll notice that the clamp for the saddle is usually NOT in-line with the seatpost. If you draw a line up the centre of the seat tube/seat post it will pass in front of the saddle clamp on most seatposts. The -2/10mm seatpost gives two options, you can position the clamp 2mm ahead of the seat-post line or you can flip part of the assembly and locate it 10mm behind that line. likewise the 25/13 will allow you position the clamp either 25mm or 13mm behind the line. A drawing would make it very clear very easily but I can't produce one right now I'm afraid!
    There is additional fore/aft saddle adjustment available by sliding the rails forward or back in the clamp. Most people will want some setback. I think the 25/13 offset covers the normal range of setback you get on the majority of posts. If you already have a bike and you're happy with the position then copy it. If the seat tube angle is the same, the same offset will position you similarly relative to the pedals.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    I think the 25/13 offset covers the normal range of setback you get on the majority of posts. If you already have a bike and you're happy with the position then copy it. If the seat tube angle is the same, the same offset will position you similarly relative to the pedals.
    I too think that 25/13 is the better choice unless you have really short legs.

The seat tube angle is 73.5 degres wich is pretty standard.
    So there will be very few people that would need the -3mm of setback, on the other hand the 25/13 can get to 13 with is very close to 10mm from the standard seatpost.
  • Thanks both - really appreciate your thoughts!

Just need to decide on size - appears I am in the middle of a 56 and 58. Whilst the PPS system recommends a 56 I know the LBS had been talking about a 58 Cannondale so slight dilemma there.

Is a lovely bike tho (IMO) - cant wait to get on it!
  • Hi everyone!

I've been a lurking for a while on this forum whilst I was deciding whether or not to buy an Endurace. I'm very glad I did, and thanks to everyone who unknowingly helped with that decision with their comments here!

I have a question for anyone else with the 105 build (or maybe ultegra too). I'm finding that the chain rubs on the front derailleur when in the small chainring combined with any sprocket smaller than the 16T (11,12,13 and 14). I would expect some rubbing in the 11 and maybe 12T but this seems excessive. As far as I can tell, I've indexed it correctly (and adjusted for cable stretching). I've noticed the trim only seems to have any effect on derailleur position when in the big ring, and was wondering whether this might be the source of my problem?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.
  • Are you new to shimano do you know you can use "half position" on your front derailleur ?
    You can twist the lever just enough so that the front cage will move a bit toward the big ring but will stop in position once you release the lever.
  • ai_1
    krogort wrote:
    Are you new to shimano do you know you can use "half position" on your front derailleur ?
    You can twist the lever just enough so that the front cage will move a bit toward the big ring but will stop in position once you release the lever.
    It's called trim and is a predetermined offset. It's not a case of the derailleur moving part way depending on how far you move the lever (not sure if that's what you meant but it read that way to me). There is a less defined click between the rings that allow you re-position (trim) the de-railleur to minimise rubbing when cross-chaining.
  • Ordered mine CF 8.0 (56) yesterday, grey-cyan.
    Germans were really fast this time, I have just received a message that bike is allready on the way!

Owned Roadlite Al 6.0 before, great machine too.
  • Helligen - can I ask how tall/what your inside leg is? Trying to work out whether I'm a 56 or 58 as seem to be in the middle of both them.

Looking forward to your update once you've been on it properly!
  • I am 180cm, 82cm inseam.
    Previous Roadlite was 58 (L). I was a little bit stretched on it, so took 56 (M) now.
    Didn't listen to what canyon online calculator told me for Endurace (53-S, impossible!).
    When I was buying Roadlite last year, online calculator told me M 56.
  • I'm 185cm tall with 85cm inseam and the Canyon calculator thing told me to go for a medium, I went for a large in the end which arrived last week, a medium would have been too small. Large is a great fit for me.
  • Thanks Andrew - you are c2/3 cm taller than me - most things I have been reading are leading me towards a 58- presumably you are pretty comfortable and there is plenty of scope/no issue if I was to drop the seat post down by a cm or 2?

I love the look of the bikes and I don't believe you can beat the value but would be great to be able to test ride in the uk!
  • wanderer24, yep, all the rides I have managed to do so far have been fine, there is a few cm's of spacers on the steerer that can be removed to lower the stem / bars and the seatpost can be dropped a few cm's as well. I need to get some longer rides in to dial everything in but out of the box it's great.
  • Yesterday, UPS left my Endurace 8.0 with a neighbour.
    When I got home and checked the box I found that the ends of the fork had holed the bottom of the box.
    The ends of the fork appeared to have lost paint and the flanges on the dropouts appeared damaged. Aaargghhh!!

I've contacted UPS and was told someone would contact me to arrange an inspection.
    I've contacted Canyon and Emailed them details and photos of the damage.

Has anyone else received a damaged bike and if so how long did it take to resolve?

I was surprised that there didn't appear to be anything covering the ends of the forks or any kind of fork spacer which might have prevented this happening. Is that the case with all Enduraces or had mine been incorrectly packaged?
    (I don't want to open the package and look as I've already told UPS that the box remains sealed and unopened).
  • mlgt
    I had damaged bars on mine and contacted canyon who replied back the next day and to send me some black bar tape.

But no damage as such on my Endurace or his Aeroad.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • When I got home and checked the box I found that the ends of the fork had holed the bottom of the box.

The same with me, opened and found two holes at the bottom of the box, but no damage to the fork.
    More photos and ride impressions soon ;-)

15163407600_24e50efea4_c.jpg
  • The bottom of the box looks like this:

And looking closer at the dropout:

So the visible damage covers a small area and if that is the full extent of it then I might be being needlessly picky but at the end of day I am paying for a new bike - not one that someone has dragged around a warehouse on the fork dropouts.
  • Jesus mate, i would not be happy with that either!! Best stick with it, dont open the box, which must be killing you.
  • ai_1
    I definitely wouldn't accept the bike. Besides the damage at the dropouts which may or may not be just cosmetic, you don't know what forces have been inflicted on the exposed dropouts which could conceivably have caused further damage elsewhere (e.g. exposed dropouts could have snagged on anything during the course of shipping, inducing excessive strain on the fork)
  • I too wouldn't accept the bike, Canyon should pad their box more thoughfully.
    After waiting several weeks, this must be killing you.

I got mine yesterday, the only issue is that they forgot the chain catcher I had ordered as an addon, it's been shipped today though.
    I don't like the headset cap, afraid stuff might fall into it. What can I use to replace it ?
  • mlgt
    Hope that gets sorted out soon!

On another note, the headset cap, you can order a cap for it which is a few more quid from canyon. I don't really mind it that much.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    mlgt wrote:
    Hope that gets sorted out soon!

On another note, the headset cap, you can order a cap for it which is a few more quid from canyon. I don't really mind it that much.
    put a champagne cork in it :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I have had mine a couple of weeks now and i must say i am really enjoying it. I cant remember how the forks were packed on mine but no damage to the bottom of the box. I wouldn't accept them like that either. I must say i have had some questions/dealings with Canyon since mine arrived and i have found them to be very helpful.

Also i like the headset cap most people who see it comment on it.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Interested to hear comments regarding the wheels.
    Been considering a pair.

Thanks
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • mlgt
    A pair of DT swiss or a pair to upgrade?
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Photosession after first ride (55km). First impression - much more comfortable then Roadlite Al on rough road.
    Full gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dban/sets/72157647682825147/

15367823641_3606db2c98_c.jpg

15371042182_364e06f1d0_c.jpg

15368170901_dcd7b9e11c_c.jpg