Di2: How do you have yours set up?

DKay
DKay Posts: 1,652
edited September 2014 in Road general
To all of the Di2 users out there, how do you have your shifter functions set up?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm running the satellite sprint shifters and when I get onto the drops, it takes me a bit of mental recalibration to remember that the left button shifts up the cassette and the right shifts down. To makes things a bit simpler, I'm going to program the brake lever 'paddles' to match the action of the sprint shifters and have the front derailleur also mapped so that the left textured button shifts onto the smaller ring and the right button shifts onto the big ring.

I also currently have multi-shift on it's fast setting and to only shift two gears at once. I'd be interested to hear how other users have their shifters mapped.

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Paddle shift mode, fast shifting and 3 cogs with press and hold.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    All buttons standard. Rear shifting is fast with unlimited changes.

I thought unlimited would not get me what I wanted but once you get used to the multi shift and how it feels you don't get "too many" changes, a tap does a single change compared to press and hold for multi is quite intuitive once you have used it for a few rides.
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    Paddle shift mode, fast shifting and 3 cogs with press and hold.

Same

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • DKay
    Interesting. I've now switched to paddle shift mode, but still need to get out and try it on a decent length ride. May give unlimited multishift a pop.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Hi,

I'm considering getting Ultegra di2 6870.

Is it easy to set up and change the modes? How's it done, is the just plugged into a laptop and away you go? Is the software mac comparable or only for PC?

Thanks.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • DKay
    The newer e-tube Di2 groupsets (including 6870) allow you to do it at home. Download the Shimano e-tube software and plug in your bike using the USB port on the stem-mounted junction box via the supplied Shimano charger. Update the firmware and away you go.

The software is PC only, but you can run it on Macs using VMWare Fusion or Parallels.
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    I use it on VW Ware Fusions on my mac and it runs fine. The downloads of firmware aren't the fastest so you can be sat around waiting for a bit, but otherwise it is very easy to use and you can change settings within a minute.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    DKay wrote:
    Interesting. I've now switched to paddle shift mode, but still need to get out and try it on a decent length ride. May give unlimited multishift a pop.

It took me a couple of rides to unlearn the layout needed by cable mechs. Once you have picked it up, it really is second nature and much more natural to use.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    On my road bikes, exactly as it comes out of the box - shift speed normal, buttons identical to mechanical shifters, unlimited multishift. My only issue is remembering which button does what on the climber shifter when I'm tired. I can't swap them round, as one of the bikes is 7970 and therefore can only be configured with a soldering iron.

On my commuter, which has no front mech and TT shifters, I've set up both left and right shifters to control the rear mech; for now I've got up and down on each shifter, but I'm toying with paddle-shift; I might bridge the buttons with some CF and turn one button off on each side. Still on normal speed unlimited multi-shift, and feel no real urge to make it any faster.