Road tyres for 40km road race on Rockhopper

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Scwalbe Kojak 1.35"

Panaracer Pasela PT 1.5"

Panaracer Ribmo PT 1.75" ?

...or something else? (the above are just ones I can get delivered quickly and are in the touring section on probikeshop.fr)

Also these will be going on a pair of ZTR Arch EX rims which are a smidge under an inch wide - will a 1.35" tyre be too narrow?

these tyres will probably just stay on the bike so they're not going to be only used for this one race.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Decathlon do a 26x1,2" really cheap, a mate uses some, aerodynamic and very fast rolling - if you have a Decathlon nearby, otherwise I'd suggest a RiBMo in 1.5" as it has a better aero profile and is taller for the width so it rolls very well, I have one on my commuter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Decathlon do a 26x1,2" really cheap, a mate uses some, aerodynamic and very fast rolling - if you have a Decathlon nearby, otherwise I'd suggest a RiBMo in 1.5" as it has a better aero profile and is taller for the width so it rolls very well, I have one on my commuter.

Excellent. Thanks.

Trek Session 8
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Is it actually a road race? If so don't mess about with tyres, get a road bike. You'll be shelled out the back at the first corner otherwise.
  • yeah proper road race but thinking I'd rather do it on something comfortable, that I know than hire a road bike on the morning of the race. Not too bothered where I finish, more of a fun ride (and I've also got the excuse..."I was on a mountain bike, what did you expect!)

- good excuse to roadify the 'hopper too, which I see as the only way I'm ever gonna use her again

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Narrow bars, stem on top of the headset and flipped, get the bars as low as you can, and at speed brings your hands in either side of the stem and you'll be able to run a gear higher with the reduced aero drag.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, low and aero will be useful as you'll just be riding a time trial on your own for 39.8km!

Have you checked they'll actually let you ride a mountain bike? You definitely won't be popular in the bunch!