SRAM X5 rear gears changing itself

dannyuk88
dannyuk88 Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

I have done a search and can't find something similar so I hope this is something really simple to fix. I'm new to all this so forgive the poor description not quite got the lingo!
Recently the rear gears have been playing up on all but the largest 2 cogs. When riding there are times when the gears will randomly change up and down between 2 gears without me pressing the lever. It makes a constant 'rattly chain' sound like it is not quite in any gear properly. I'm confident that it is only a minor adjustment needed rather than anything broken but of what I have no clue.

The bike is a carrera kraken if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
Danny

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Index them - read Parktools.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks cooldad. I had looked through lots of bits on parktools but didn't know which bit I needed!

This appears to have worked in the shed - I now have smooth quiet gearing so will test tomorrow night if it's the same with me on the bike going uphill.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    dannyuk88 wrote:
    Thanks cooldad. I had looked through lots of bits on parktools but didn't know which bit I needed!

This appears to have worked in the shed - I now have smooth quiet gearing so will test tomorrow night if it's the same with me on the bike going uphill.
    The page linked in my sig takes you straight to the help page - you just click on the bit of bike you want to know about.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools