Fox Forks Service

delete_my_account
delete_my_account Posts: 192
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys. I'm changing the oil and seals on my fox forks for the first time. From this website:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/oil_volumes.htm

I have gathered that I need 30ml green oil in the left leg and 160ml in the right (number 27 on the list - 2011 Float RL 120mm travel)

Given all that came out was a dribble from the left and about 100ml from the right, is it likely that I've got the required amounts right and that much needs to go back in?

Also, I decided to do this as there was black oily greasy stuff left on the stanchions and they haven't been done since I've owned them (probably done around 100 hours) but the oil that came out was still quite green and the seals appear to be perfect after giving them a clean. Did they actually need servicing?

Cheers.
Delete my fucking account.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which model forks?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Hi guys. I'm changing the oil and seals on my fox forks for the first time. From this website:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/oil_volumes.htm

I have gathered that I need 30ml green oil in the left leg and 160ml in the right (number 27 on the list - 2011 Float RL 120mm travel)

Given all that came out was a dribble from the left and about 100ml from the right, is it likely that I've got the required amounts right and that much needs to go back in?

Also, I decided to do this as there was black oily greasy stuff left on the stanchions and they haven't been done since I've owned them (probably done around 100 hours) but the oil that came out was still quite green and the seals appear to be perfect after giving them a clean. Did they actually need servicing?

Cheers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nice over quote.......

Quite a lot can be left in the forks smeared on the surfaces and trapped in the damper, clean it all out thoroughly and refill as per instructions. It's the wiper (foam) seals that are critical on the Fox, black residue on the stanchions usually means the wiper seals are full and you are only a short step from stanchion damage.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The wiper/dust seals and the foam rings are two different things I believe. Looking at the foam rings, they're both completely black. I was going to use brake cleaner and a rag as per the video I watched to clean out the lowers, but I've heard a bottle brush and fairly liquid is better (and cheaper.)

Another question I have though is about the crush washers. When I took the nuts off the bottom, there weren't any washers. They don't appear to be attached to the nuts either. What's up with that?
    Delete my fucking account.