strava users near widnes

irelach1
irelach1 Posts: 13
edited September 2014 in Road general
Hi I have just started useing strava and was wondering if there is anyone from or around widnes ? I would like to see were everyone rides in my area post up user names please

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Search for segments in your area, then select some of the riders to see the routes they do
  • Search for crank addicts cycling club , we are a very ,very ,very new group ;-) there is also a Facebook page you can join. The group is also on strava , feel free to join and pop along for a ride .

Also just to say that anyone else around the widnes area who wants to join a new club feel free to do the above everyone is welcome and we will always adjust speed / time to the group.

Thanks
  • Why would people want to post up their usernames? Most people set the privacy options so you can't see their rides (other than getting to them via segment efforts) so having a username would be largely irrelevant.

Most people find popular segments in their area and then scan the leaderboards looking at the rides people did to get to/from them.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    BrandonA wrote:
    Most people set the privacy options so you can't see their rides

Why would people do this? Embarrassed about your data?

I know I'm not going to beat the KOM's in my area, but it doesn't bother me. I can aim to be in the top 5% or 10%. It doesn't bother me if people see how much (or little) I ride or that I'm number 250 on a leaderboard.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    ben@31 wrote:
    BrandonA wrote:
    Most people set the privacy options so you can't see their rides

Why would people do this? Embarrassed about your data?

I know I'm not going to beat the KOM's in my area, but it doesn't bother me. I can aim to be in the top 5% or 10%. It doesn't bother me if people see how much (or little) I ride or that I'm number 250 on a leaderboard.

There have been reported incidents of people using Strava et al to see where expensive bikes might be being kept. Always at least set a privacy zone around your house.
  • Yeah, set up the privacy thingy on Strava for a kilometre or so away from home/work wherever, so would be thieves can't track you to your front door more or less (unless they follow you in person.........but you'd drop them off your back wheel no bother!).
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    When I've used Strava for running. I've only started my Garmin watch once I'm at the end of the cul-de-sac's and I'm on the main road and about to start my course. I'd be surprised if anyone could work out which house is mine from all the others in the cul-de-sacs.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Youd be amazed at how easy it is to track some people. Full names and a street location - anyone can google for the right house.
  • Hi chemical Viking have you got links can't find your Facebook page