anybody used a whistle patwin?

snoogan83
snoogan83 Posts: 5
edited September 2014 in MTB beginners
hi all
just wondering if anybody has ridden a whistle patwin 1481d? I am just getting back into biking and like the look of this.
cheers in advance for any help,advice

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very poor fork, no damping at all, not worth the money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hey thanks for the input
  • The Rookie
    No problem, just to clarify, to be used as an MTB a fork needs damping, you wouldn't take a car at speed on a bumpy road having removed the shock absorbers, same with a mountain bike off road, undamped forks only have a place for those who ride gentle gravel tracks to take the 'sting' out of bigger bumps and whose riding technique won't do it for them. (Sounds like a description of my wife...lol).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    About the fork, I just found this on BikaAdvisor
    This title had to go to a certain component, and we reckon that the Suntour XCT is this year’s lousiest suspension fork we tested.

http://www.bike-advisor.com/reviews/components-reviews/bicycle-forks-and-shocks/suntour-xct-29-review-2013.html
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is the worst 'mainstream' fork I have ever used, absolutely hopeless.
  • Hey thanks for all input. I went for the bike anyway just liked the way it felt. BUT as you say the forks are w#€nk. Any ideas on slightly better replacements around 100 pound mark? I'm not sure how you know they will fit ect being compleatly newish to all this. Any help greatly appreciated thanks.
  • The Rookie
    As it's a 29er you are a bit limited, this is about the best you'll get new for around a ton
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rockshox-Susp ... 3f3d360249
  • Cheers buddy. I've been looking at them but didn't know if they would fit. Ha ha. Thanx for your help.
  • That XC28 isn't much of an improvement. It has all the rigidity of a wet noodle.