The Commutant

964cup
964cup Posts: 1,362
edited October 2014 in Your road bikes
This is what happens when you fancy a commuter you can lock up outside, and have a pile of random high-end bits left over from bike builds past...

IMG_0760_zps752226e4.jpg

IMG_0766_zpsf34d6d10.jpg

IMG_0765_zps6b511cb6.jpg

IMG_0764_zpsf4616833.jpg

IMG_0763_zps83c7c764.jpg

IMG_0762_zps4f71d711.jpg

Frame: Condor Super Acciaio di2
Forks: Condor full carbon
Bars: Deda Dabar
Stem: Zipp 145 (100mm)
Headset: Condor
Bar Tape: Deda

Front Brake Lever: Dura Ace 9071 TT combined
Front Caliper: SRAM Red Aero
Rear Brake Lever: Dura Ace 9071 TT combined
Rear Caliper: SRAM Red Aero

Shifters: DA 9071
Cables: di2
Front Mech: None
Rear Mech: Ultegra 6800GS

Seat: Charge Knife
Seat Post: Ritchey Superlogic
Seat Post Clamp: Condor

Cranks: SRAM Force CX1
Chainring(s): SRAM CX1 46t
Chain: SRAM Red 22
Cassette: Ultegra 6800 11-32
Pedals: Ritchey Paradigm
Bottom Bracket: SRAM BB30

Front Wheel: Handbuilt by me
Rim: Stans Alpha ZTR 340
Spokes: Sapim D-Light
Hub: Novatec A291SB-SL
Tube: None
Tire: Hutchinson Intensive Tubeless 25c

Back Wheel: Handbuilt by me
Rim: Stans Alpha ZTR 340
Spokes: Sapim D-Light
Hub: Novatec A482SB-SL
Tube: None
Tire: Hutchinson Intensive Tubeless 25c

Accessories: Elite Custom Race cage, Pitlock skewers

Weight: 8.1kg ready to ride

Other info: Top-cap now slightly lowered as I've switched from the Pitlock cap shown, which needs a huge spacer, to a Zipp carbon top-cap with a security Torx bolt. Seatclamp and saddle clamp bolts replaced with security torx as well. Still need to get the heli tape on the cranks to sit properly.

Comments

• Sorry, but I think it is horrible.

What sort of "park outside" are you going to do with it? A thief with a multi tool would do rather nicelyoff that in a couple of minutes...
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • 964cup
    Well, I like it, and it rides well. It's for locking up during the day when I go to meetings; it lives indoors the rest of the time. All the accessible allen bolts have been replaced with security torx (since I took the pics) and the skewers are pitlock, so you'd need to be pretty determined, or better equipped than the average chav.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I would not say its horrible but agree it's not a bike I would want to use as a commuter in a city as it will be gone within a month.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Ugly but somehow not - I like it
  • Strangely alluring bike. I say strangely as after looking at the first pic was really not sure, but the time I got to the last pic I'm thinking I do like this bike.

Bars not sure about but that's personal choice and guess if you find it comfortable then that's all that counts.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The only thing ugly about it (aside from the slightly sloppily wrapped bar tape*) are the ghastly handle bars and clunky shifters which look like some sort of hipster affectation rather than a decision made for any practical purpose. Otherwise, what is there to object to? The simplicity of binning the front mech is something that should be far more mainstream. Assuming that there are no issues with the chain being dropped, I can't see why a London bike would ever need more than one chain ring up front yet you can't really get them. Mind you, a narrower cassette with fewer sprockets would probably improve things further.

*and the stem. I missed the stem. That's pretty fugly!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Nice frame. Really nice colour scheme. A well thought out build.
    But I feel like a hipster just looking at it. It's not my cup of tea.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • 964cup
    Rolf F wrote:
    The only thing ugly about it (aside from the slightly sloppily wrapped bar tape*) are the ghastly handle bars and clunky shifters which look like some sort of hipster affectation rather than a decision made for any practical purpose. Otherwise, what is there to object to? The simplicity of binning the front mech is something that should be far more mainstream. Assuming that there are no issues with the chain being dropped, I can't see why a London bike would ever need more than one chain ring up front yet you can't really get them. Mind you, a narrower cassette with fewer sprockets would probably improve things further.

*and the stem. I missed the stem. That's pretty fugly!

The stem's an acquired taste, but I had it lying around - along with about half the bits for the bike. I take slight umbrage at the tape comment - you try wrapping that tape around those bars! I need to find a suitable tape with more stretch. The chain won't drop (I hope) because the chainring's a narrow-wide design specifically for single front ring applications. A narrower cassette would reduce the bike's utility - the idea is to have an easy gear to spin up Swains on the way home after a long day. The bar is a personal choice, but I didn't find myself using the drops at all when commuting, and the combination of bar and shifters weighs less than a set of Ui2 conventional shifters on their own. They're less hideous than they look in the photos, IMO.
  • 964cup
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    But I feel like a hipster just looking at it.

Ah. Rumbled.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    964Cup wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I take slight umbrage at the tape comment - you try wrapping that tape around those bars! I need to find a suitable tape with more stretch.

Looks like the tape is about to come off, best undo it now and rewrap it before you start using it. Pull it tighter stretching it as you wrap and it should fit perfectly
  • F'em.

It's a great build that could be nicer with a RC Fizik saddle and white Fizik tape (non logo).

Not sure I'd lock it 'anywhere' but is the kind of thing I'd do if I had the cash and a reason to commute.

edit: also get a Deda stem ... no need for bars that nice without matching stem.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • 964cup
    47p2 wrote:
    964Cup wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I take slight umbrage at the tape comment - you try wrapping that tape around those bars! I need to find a suitable tape with more stretch.

Looks like the tape is about to come off, best undo it now and rewrap it before you start using it. Pull it tighter stretching it as you wrap and it should fit perfectly

The bars have a bizarre curve where you see the tape not fitting. The Deda tape I used simply won't stretch enough to fit the curve. I'm going to try some Fizik tape instead.
  • An absolute stunning build! I bet it's a pleasure to commute on.
    I would go for the usual drops and shifters, but I don't do any commuting on my bike ( not to many safe places on a building site :P )
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    964Cup wrote:
    47p2 wrote:
    964Cup wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

The bars have a bizarre curve where you see the tape not fitting. The Deda tape I used simply won't stretch enough to fit the curve. I'm going to try some Fizik tape instead.

Worth a shot. If you can't get Fizik to work on those bars, then we'll know it was definitely down to user error! :wink:

Point taken about not using the drops. However, drop handlebars look great so even with the weight penalty, it would have been the right thing to do!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I really like this - practical with a high end air about it. Nice.
  • 964cup
    IMG_0774_zpsde0c79a7.jpg

Fi'zi:k FTW.
  • That is a hell of a commuter bike! I've got the same situation going at my building with locking up, luckily I can see the bike rack from my office window, and there is ample CCTV coverage, plus people normally in the smoking area.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Think I was chasing you round Regent's Park on Tuesday! I was in a red tshirt blowing in the 3 man chaingang
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    964Cup wrote:
    Well, I like it, and it rides well.

Well, I like it too.

:D
  • 964cup
    coriordan wrote:
    Think I was chasing you round Regent's Park on Tuesday! I was in a red tshirt blowing in the 3 man chaingang
    Nice to have 'met' you. I'm usually in the Park on Tuesday and Saturday mornings. Saturdays is the club session (Muswell Hill Peloton - the Paul Smith-esque stripy tops). The Commutant is proving a surprisingly capable RP bike, albeit not quite as quick as my S5...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Likewise I am Tuesdays and Thursdays (not today) with the club (CC London). Very friendly bunch...I should probably get the club kit!

Nice bike, too
  • 964cup
    Say hello next Tuesday if you see me. Bike's obviously easy to spot!