Cycle Derby Sportive

coltrane
coltrane Posts: 74
Anyone doing the 160km Derby Sportive at the weekend? Although I’m pretty local I don’t know the roads. Any advice on the best/worst climbs en route? I understand Beeley is a challenge after 60 miles.

Comments

• It's not super steep or super long - like most hills hard to race up it but not really a challenge - they could have sent you up Rowsley Bar just next door if they wanted you to suffer.

I've just had a look at the route and given it goes well into the Peak they've chosen a relatively easy route - I'm not saying it's easy just relative to what it could have been - there are no real set piece climbs but a lot of lumpy bits - they've gone for bigger roads by and large too so expect fast moving groups to stay together. The choice of the velodrome as the start and finish means quite a convoluted route towards the end with a few miles of riding through the city - be interesting to see if that works or not.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I thought it was through the City at the start and coming back in via Elvaston Castle and London Rd?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Yeah it is - you come into the city at Spondon - back out at Ockbrook - through Borrowash - into Alvaston then to the velodrome - so a fair bit or urban cycling compared to most sportives.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]