Suspension lock-out

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited September 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

Just got a new MTB. Both bikes had/have lockout on the front fork, but they're different - the old one was a mechanical lock-out and I had to 'un-weight' the bike to turn it on or off, and it was either 'on' or 'off'. The new bike isn't the same, I can operate the lock-out whilst on the bike and turning it feels smooth - from what I've read I understand this works by changing the size of a hole inside through which liquids moves (or doesn't when its closed). If that's the case - does this kind of lock-out have an analogue adjustment, ie. can I close it a bit, to make the suspension harder and ease it off to make it softer - or is it still either 'on' or 'off'?

I hope that question makes sense?
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably not if it's just 'on or off' - Turnkey in RS language.
    More sophisticated dampers, like Motion Control work the way you want.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cooldad - the old one was 'on' or 'off' - when you turned it there was resistance until it eventually flicked around to the other extreme. On my new bike the turning motion is smooth and I can leave the lockout lever in the middle of the two extremes (or anywhere inbetween)?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depending on how your one works (it's a ......?) then it may or may not give a linear adjustment, I know my first Suntour hybrid forks did, test it and find out perhaps?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The fork is a Suntour XCM HLO 100. Good idea - I'll have a play see what happens!