Help: 3/4 Calf Length MTB Shorts, Best Buy?

Cody
Cody Posts: 565
edited September 2014 in MTB general
Hi everyone, need to buy some shorts for cycling. I got a week off work on 22nd Sept and plan to go riding on canal 14 miles, and for the remainder of the year and next year on weekends only. The only option I've got is to buy a cheap pair of denim jeans and cut them a quarter from the bottom to make them look like three quarter pants but will they do the job instead of paying £35 for cycling shorts from ebay. I'm not sure.

Anyway, I've been looking at these,

Deko Europa 3/4 Calf Length MTB Shorts - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deko-Europa-I ... 19eb1a3ab2

I can't really afford them because, just spent £620 on a new bike.

Please advise, thanks.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    14 miles on the canal won't be too bad in jeans, but I'd want some padded under shorts or liner shorts. Jeans aren't cut for cycling though and if they get wet, they stay wet.
  • Buy some endura shorts, you spent £600+ so this should just help you along.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Endura Humvee.... You get a padded liner with them too!
  • mcnultycop
    I intended to say that in my original post. I have three pairs of Humvees and they are great.
  • qube
    WTF... Just wear the Humvees then.

:wink:
  • mcnultycop
    My original post, but I wasn't the original poster on the thread.
  • qube
    Ah, right you are then!!
  • Another vote for either the Humvee or Singletrack from Endura. The biggest surprise was that it took them years to bring the 3/4 MT500 to the market. They're the dogs, spray/waterproof, stretchy, comfortable, very crash resistant (don't ask!).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Cody
    mcnultycop wrote:
    14 miles on the canal won't be too bad in jeans, but I'd want some padded under shorts or liner shorts. Jeans aren't cut for cycling though and if they get wet, they stay wet.

Yh hi, I wore 3/4 jeans I bought from T J Hughes closing down sale for £5.00. They were a twill type of jeans, not denim. But as I lost weight they got more comfortable. I had them cut from the bottom to make them look like three quarter pants. I wore them on journeys around town and on Leeds canal which is 14 mile trek from Saltaire train station. I guess they did the job. When they got wet, they weren't that bad, but were a bit on the heavy side. But 3 years on I didn't think I'd be getting back in to riding again so now I need another pair. I'm fine wearing the underwear I got, I got a really comfy bike seat from eBay, a Madison Flux in brown, it's ok, not that comfy but will do the job, I rushed in to it really. I felt as though I needed this and that when I bought my bike, spent £35 on accessories and still haven't even got a bottle holder yet and I plan on taking my bike out on long treks next week, where do I put my water bottle?! but will buy one soon, something cheap off ebay.
  • Cody
    edited April 2015
    Thank you all for the advice. If anyone knows where I can buy cheap 3/4 MTB shorts from, please let me know and a cheap bottle holder for my BOARDMAN, thanks.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    How about these Altura Metro 3/4 length? £24.75 seems pretty reasonable.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Cody
    Batmo wrote:
    How about these Altura Metro 3/4 length? £24.75 seems pretty reasonable.

Hi, yh they look nice. But their metro style, I was looking for more, MTB or sportier trail style like the Deko Europa I have mentioned above. I was looking around the £10-15 mark with free postage. If I can't get anything cheap online I'll have to pop down to an outdoor gear shop or maybe just go along with the jeans option and cut them in to 3/4 shorts. I spent £590 on a new boardman bike with £30 accessories and £30 bike service. I really need to think about saving where I can as I also have a car to run aswell and petrol costs me £20 a week on that. I know it's £25 and Piu Miglia are doing one with an adjustable waist strap for the same price but it's polyester material and bad for winter but good for summer. I would pay £37.00, but only if I had no other option. thanks anyway
  • How about buying used? Try Pinkbike, eBay etc.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Cody
    Myster101 wrote:
    How about buying used? Try Pinkbike, eBay etc.

I was just wondering, do they have to be MTB shorts, couldn't I just wear normal drawstring 3/4 shorts?

I guess it's whatever I feel comfortable with. But then again I've never really worn or tried any so.

I've found these on ebay, cargo combat 3/4 shorts in black. Let me know what you think?

>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MENS-3-4- ... 462011baad
  • Cody
    Also if anyone can recommend me a 30 litre rucksack to wear whilst cycling please do, and under £20, I'm going down to sportsdirect tomorrow to see if they've got any. thanks.
  • Check Tesco on-line. They have lots of really cheap 'sacks which look half decent. Hydro packs, too.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Cody
    Check Tesco on-line. They have lots of really cheap 'sacks which look half decent. Hydro packs, too.

I've found this one on ebay, 30 litre by karrimor, reduced from £15 to £13.

Any good?

>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Karrimor-Urba ... 4d24a422d2