Canyon Endurace CF

Comments

• Ring them and as long as your bike was shipped on the day of the discounted price they will refund it for you. They did with mine which arrived yesterday :-)
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Ring them and as long as your bike was shipped on the day of the discounted price they will refund it for you. They did with mine which arrived yesterday :-)

Cheers for the info. I will ring them when they email me the shipping details. The email I got this morning was that the bike is in stock and can take 5-8 days to process.

Have you been for a ride yet? Do update us with some pics :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Can't take it out yet as the reason I need a new bike is I smashed my other one up and smashed my leg up badly as well. Hoping to get the all clear from hospital today to start walking without crutches :shock:

PIctures below l

2mcawx0.jpg
    20p7p6d.jpg
  • mlgt
    Can't take it out yet as the reason I need a new bike is I smashed my other one up and smashed my leg up badly as well. Hoping to get the all clear from hospital today to start walking without crutches :shock:

PIctures below l

2mcawx0.jpg
    20p7p6d.jpg

Take it easy and hope road to recovery is fast.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I'm also a happy camper. Ridden mine a lot since I got it.

No seatpost slippage (I weigh around 80kg) and no headset issues. At the weekend I had the seatpost out and collar off to check for any cracks to the frame - nothing to report. All good.
  • Mine arrived yesterday as well, what was the procedure for getting the discounted price?

Also what is the correct procedure for the VCLS 2 installation? Paste or no paste? Although I think this is going to be a non starter and I will need a normal version, I'm to heavy.

Thanks
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Mine arrived yesterday as well, what was the procedure for getting the discounted price?

Also what is the correct procedure for the VCLS 2 installation? Paste or no paste? Although I think this is going to be a non starter and I will need a normal version, I'm to heavy.

Thanks
    Paste of course!
    If any item ever needed paste it's the one that you think has a possibility of slipping. The whole point of the paste is to reduce torque required to prevent slippage. Canyon provide explicit instructions. Follow them. If there's a problem after you do your own thing you can hardly in as strong a position to complain now can you?
  • mlgt
    I have received the UPS tracking code and even with the change in stem/bar etc the turnaround time is very quick.
    If I hadn't farted around with emails based on getting a Small or medium I would be riding the bike now.

But as ever. I am in no rush. In hindsight I have tomorrow off and would have been great if it arrived tomorrow as it is my birthday :)

I also bought a Sram garmin mount and now will start to strip my current bike for any attachments, lights, garmin sensor etc.

One question, has anyone installed mudguards on theirs yet? I intend to make this my all weather bike so will be doing so. But wondered what it will look like. Was looking at the SKS type ones.

Pics please if possible :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Mine arrived yesterday as well, what was the procedure for getting the discounted price?
    Thanks

Ring Canyon ask how much you have been charged, then just say well it was dispatched on the day the price got reduced. Guy offered to refund difference straight away
  • Got mine Monday, had a couple of quick rides...30 mins and 45 mins . No seat post slip..it's great to ride . Went for a small as I thought that the 56 I was riding was a bit too big and it's right on the money...I'll get some miles in on Friday and see just how good it is....looking forward to it
  • First professional review from the English-language press: http://road.cc/content/review/130346-ca ... -road-bike
    Those of you that bit the bullet before reading any of those, congrats. I will be ordering mine soon.
  • ai_1
    Nesfyl wrote:
    First professional review from the English-language press: http://road.cc/content/review/130346-ca ... -road-bike
    Those of you that bit the bullet before reading any of those, congrats. I will be ordering mine soon.
    I find it hard to take these reviews too seriously. I'd like to believe they are completely objective, based entirely on observation and measurement (not expectation) and a sound basis for choosing your next bike. However, I don't think that's the case. I read these reviews and they do instill a certain sense of security that you've chosen well but in all honesty there's probably relatively little real value in them except to tell you there's no obvious major flaws.
    It's pretty much the review I expected given the bike's similarity to the Ultimate CF and SLX and the reviews they got. But I think the content is driven primarily by the general perception of the company, the content of their marketing materials and the content of previous reviews for similar bikes.

I'm always suspicious of reviewers telling you how the bike is a little more agile but less stable than bikes X and Y thanks to having 5mm less wheelbase and 0.5 degree less headtube angle, etc, etc. You can be pretty damn sure they're reading he marketing blurb, then looking for the promised qualities when they ride the bike and assigning the perceived qualities to the causes suggested by the marketing guys. I'm not saying these characteristics aren't dependent on such factors. I'm just saying I believe the reviewers are influenced more by the marketting material and bike dimensions than by actual objective observation on the road or in a lab. I'm also saying the reveiwers are not capable of determining the source of many of the characteristics they routinely speak about in this way.

Of particular amusement is the comment down the bottom after the scores saying that 5 stars were not awarded because some people might want a bike with a longer headtube! Correct me if I'm wrong but that would simply mean you bought the wrong bike? In the review he says the bike is a nice middleground between race bike and very upright sportive bike then says that's a weakness? Silly at best. He's clearly just trying to find something to say to fill all the boxes on the review template!
  • Fair point. I also take reviews with a pinch of salt. I will not base my decision on pieces like this alone - I actually went to Germany and tested the bike (albeit shorty in a car park). What I expect from reviews is the identification - from a person who has ridden a lot more bikes than I have - of any major flaw or weakness that I was not able to detect. The geometry comment is completely irrelevant to me, I know it fits me because I tried it, and because I know the stack/reach combinations that I find comfortable. I agree however that in the general picture reviews play a marketing game and publications/authors are swayed one way or another by factors not entirely objective. But this one helped to solidify (in my mind at least) that this is an appropriate purchase, that's all.
  • ai_1
    Nesfyl wrote:
    Fair point. I also take reviews with a pinch of salt. I will not base my decision on pieces like this alone - I actually went to Germany and tested the bike (albeit shorty in a car park). What I expect from reviews is the identification - from a person who has ridden a lot more bikes than I have - of any major flaw or weakness that I was not able to detect. The geometry comment is completely irrelevant to me, I know it fits me because I tried it, and because I know the stack/reach combinations that I find comfortable. I agree however that in the general picture reviews play a marketing game and publications/authors are swayed one way or another by factors not entirely objective. But this one helped to solidify (in my mind at least) that this is an appropriate purchase, that's all.
    Yep, that's pretty much the same as me.
  • mlgt
    I agree in regards to reviews. Its good to have them and I went out of my way to find a fellow biker who had canyons and test rode them. Albeit they weren't the endurance ranch, but it gave me an understanding of what to expect and a comparison on bikes I previously owned and currently ride.

The main thing that stood out for me was how stiff and instant the power can be put through the bike. The components and branding do make the sale for me of course. But to know and hear good reviews from other Canyon owners solidifies the urge for me to complete the purchase of one.

I tested an Ultimate and Aeroad, but couldn't justify the spend currently, but ultimately knowing that the endurance for me will be my daily commute and will bring a smile to my face for some time to come.

Checked my status update and its in London to be delivered later today. Excited? Sure am. Wished it came yesterday in time for my birthday as I had the day off.

Likely I will ride the bike over the weekend and will report back. Hopefully I wont experience any seatpost slippage!
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • marco67 wrote:
    and the ride the bike offers is exceptional - knocks my previous rides (Spesh Roubaix SL3 and then SL4) into a cocked hat! t

Hi marco67....would you mind giving a bit more detail on how it compares with the Roubaix? I'm planning to replace my 2012 Roubaix Comp early next year and would love to get an idea how the Endurace might feel comfort and position-wise - the geometry does look to be quite a bit different and its frustrating there's nowhere to try the Canyons out!....
    cheers..
  • mlgt
    Bike arrived yesterday afternoon. I got a lovely pic of a box sent to my phone. That was just after lunch. The hours building up to get home was agonising haha.

But also to know that it would be one of my almost final rides on my current bike :(

Anyways got home and unpacked the bike and started assembling the bike. I did the rookie move of attaching the bar without checking the right direction which in turn caused the cables to be twisted. Noticed it after I clamped it on the stem and quickly changed it to allow proper cable length.

One thing that caused some issue for me was the front brake. It wasn't toed in properly and was rubbing against the rim. Few minutes later got this sorted out and then the next thing was to put the seatpost on. I got the VCLS 2 and I simply gave it a wipe and added some grease (not carbon paste) and clamped it down to the mentioned torque. Went through the gearing, indexed them a little better and checked everything was smooth.

Took my pedals from my old bike and put them on and had dinner. After that I went for a ride around the block to ensure everything was right.

The bike is fast, the freehub is very loud! The bike runs very smooth and I didn't really notice much from the seatpost. The colour scheme is very nice and I added drinks cage to the bike, attached the garmin mount and bike attachments.

This morning, was my first commute on it. Have to say it does shift (I know I've said that already) but the power transfer is great. Taking off from the lights requires no effort at all and the ultegra shifting and braking is a big difference to the 105 I had. I would definitely say it is much more comfortable that I imagined but as ever with new toys, you take it easy.

I free wheeled a lot and that was something that could annoy you if you tend to coast a lot, which can happen in London due to stop/starting and being ready for surprises.

Will go for a longer ride on Sunday out to Hertfordshire and see how I get on there. So far thumbs up!
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • ai_1
    Glad you're enjoying the bike
    mlgt wrote:
    .....then the next thing was to put the seatpost on. I got the VCLS 2 and I simply gave it a wipe and added some grease (not carbon paste) and clamped it down to the mentioned torque....
    Why grease instead of carbon assembly paste?
    This seems like an odd choice especially given the problems there have been with these slipping.
  • mlgt
    I assumed the paste from Canyon wasn't carbon paste? Hence I have to go and buy some?

But at some point I will do this on my next maintenance check up.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • ai_1
    mlgt wrote:
    I assumed the paste from Canyon wasn't carbon paste? Hence I have to go and buy some?

But at some point I will do this on my next maintenance check up.
    The paste sachet from Canyon is assembly paste intended to be used when installing the seatpost and handlebar.
    Regardless of whether it's a better or worse product (I would think it's far superior to grease in these applications), I would think it wise to follow the manufacturers directions on assembly so that should an issue occur you can be confident it's not your own fault. It the post does start slipping, how will you know if it's a problem you would have had anyway and unavoidable due to the design of the post, or a problem caused by greasing the post?
  • mlgt
    If this is the case, I used the assembly paste on the handlebars and seatpost last night :)

hehe. Planning my 60 mile ride tomorrow. cant wait!
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Did a 45 mile ride today and it was great, quick up hills and fast....the longer ride made me appreciate how nice it is ...out again on Sunday ...can't wait
  • So tempted but i wonder what the percentage rate is for slipping seat posts? Is it the majority or still a minority?
    Wonder if i will have problems at 64kg?
  • mlgt
    I wasnt able to get out this morning. Was up at 5am ready for a 100 miler, but sadly the storms got the better and now going on a 50 miler later on instead.

So far no slippage for me on the V2 seatpost. I think as long as others have stated using the paste and correct torque will help. I havent really felt that much of a difference with the V2 seatpost. But the bike is more comfy and stiffer compared to my other carbon bike.

Only been using the bike for my commute about town which is only under 20 miles in total.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Not sure if you said already but what is your other carbon bike? What would you say the differences are in the ride?
  • mlgt
    edited September 2014
    I managed to get out for a 40+ mile ride. Bike is fast and stiff. However around 30 miles perhaps I wasnt cycling on smooth surfaces my bum started to ache (lol) another comment is that again due to road surfaces my hands hurt a bit from the vibrations. But I guess Im still getting used to the bike, saddle and general set up. Climbing is much more nicer compared to before, but was exploring some new roads, so wasn't aware on some of the climbs.

I have the Mekk Poggio 2.0 - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -12-45674/
    Upgraded groupset with Mavic Ksyrium wheels and Fizik Arione saddle.

I did specifically try a few saddles til I was comfortable with this one. So maybe I will switch the seats over and sell the Aliante which comes with it.

Main differences is that the bike is more stiffer, but for acceleration and cornering with the combo of bigger wheels. I feel with my Mekk the ride is more comfy and absorbs more of the ride.
    I assumed the VCLS 2 will be the same, but as said above, perhaps it was the choice of roads and timing I went out meant I had to ride more closer to the kerb compared to being a few feet out. Added with the rain earlier there was quite alot of debris on the roads so I wasnt cycling much in a straight line today (haha)

Will report more later in the week. Aim to do a few more 30+ mile rides after work when I can.

http://www.strava.com/activities/197013235
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Cool, thank you. Look forward to further reports from all owners!!
  • Hi guys, was looking for a bit of advice from you lucky owners.

Am considering either this bike or the Cannondale Synapse as 'sportive' bikes. I've read above that this one has relatively low head tube. Struggling to find what the head tube height of the Synapse is but has anyone been out on both/have any view on whether the riding position is too aggressive?

The other thing is size. Im pretty much 182cm with 84cm inside leg length. On Canyons website this puts me on a 56 but if my inside leg goes up by 2cm its the 58 so a bit concerned I could be on either. The local evans put me on a 58 for the Cannondale - anyone have any advice on size? First bike Ive bought at this level so dont want to mess up and get the wrong size.

Thanks for the help!
  • They are pretty similar actualy

Synapse
    2014_geo_synapsecarbon_7.1377265092.gif

Endurace
    8awV6BK.png?1
  • well my cf8 is supposed to arrive on Tuesday,do ups give customers some notice of delivery or is it a case of waiting at home all day,i tried to log on to the ups site to see if I could get some info but the page keeps timing out,same last night,my broadband is rubbish,regards