Bike security

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited September 2014 in MTB general
Hi guys,

Recently had my MTB stolen. It was in a shed where bikes have been kept for years with no problem, but luck ran out and someone had away with it. The door wasn't locked but my bike was secured to a metal bar concreted into the wall - they obviously cut through the lock. Anyway, insurance paid out, so I've got a new one now - but as yet its still in the house. Any tips for stopping the new one getting nicked again?

The shed door will obviously be locked now - but realistically, is there anything I can do to stop it getting stolen, or do I just need to make sure I do enough to satisfy the insurance company and accept that if someone wants to steal my bike, nothing will really stop them. I watched the cycle show on ITV 2 the other week who ran a piece about bike locks and they showed that even the most expensive bike locks can be broken in little over 60seconds.

I had thought about keeping the front wheel, or even both wheels locked up in the house - do you think that would put people off taking it?
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• My (new) bike is in the shed currently, which is padlocked. The back gate to my garden is also padlocked. I'm also looking at getting a decent lock and chain to attach my bike to all the gardening kit I have in there, so its a lot of hassle to try and haul away. So to reach the bike, you'd have to bust through 2 locks and then another or drag away my lovely lawnmower, leaf blower and other assorted gardening tat. And a big set of shelves.

My opinion is that you'd need to place as many barriers as possible between someone getting to the bike, so taking wheels off and keeping them elsewhere may certainly help. Although if its a good frame with decent kit on then it's just as likely to be taken anyway. If someone really wants the bike though then they'll likely work out a way to take it; my approach is cutting down the chances of opportunist theft occurring

Could also look into CCTV? Dedicated HDR and CCTV camera might be worthy option. Suppose that depends on how much your bike costs to make it worthwhile?
  • Thanks moonbadger. My MTB isn't THAT valuable to be honest (but it cost as much as I could afford to pay, so its relatively expensive to me), with lights, mudguards, pedals etc...probably sub-£600, and the one they took was 3yrs old, needed two new tyres, new brake pads and was getting ready for a new chain and cassette. But the money isn't the real issue - as I say, my insurance company paid out, no questions asked, but for some bizarre reason, I'd still rather have my old one back than the nice shiny new one (which is actually a slightly better spec...) I've got sat in my kitchen - it was MY bike and that's how it should have stayed!!

We have actually got CCTV up where I live, but it only covers the entrance to the yard and nothing showed up on it so they must have sneaked in somewhere else somehow. Although I did think about setting up a camera from my house window covering the door of the shed...

Just a bit weary of putting it back in the shed - I've heard of thieves nicking computers from offices, waiting a few weeks to give the companies time to get paid out by their insurance and to replace all the PCs, then going back and nicking them all again - don't want that to happen with my bike!
  • Hi All
    I put one of these in my shed http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRELESS-PIR- ... 2a1fc6dfec
    Might not be this exact one but very similar and makes one hell of a noise, again it's just more of a case if someone gets in there and sets it off hopefully the racket will make them leg it.
  • that cheeky alarm thing on ebay looks like it would be quite good - if that went off in the middle of the night I can't see anyone hanging around, especially if its in someone's shed!

as you say, not the money is it, its the fact you've had something that was your nicked, never a good feeling.

be interesting to see what others say, but I would have thought you've covered yourself as much as possible really. If you fancy the CCTV route then that will give you a bit more peace of mind.
  • Keep an alligator in the shed.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Angus - thanks for that suggestion, I like it. Do they eat children though, because the missus might not be too happy if they go to get their bikes out and don't come back! :wink:

The motion sensor alarm might not work too well, as I suspect the shed it frequented by bats, and probably the odd bird too, so I think I'd end up with lots of false alarms, and subsequently, lots of grumpy neighbours!! Anyone know if you can get something similar but that actually attaches to the bike and goes off if the bike is moved? That would work.

Thinking of removing the saddle too....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Angus - thanks for that suggestion, I like it. Do they eat children though, because the missus might not be too happy if they go to get their bikes out and don't come back! :wink:

The motion sensor alarm might not work too well, as I suspect the shed it frequented by bats, and probably the odd bird too, so I think I'd end up with lots of false alarms, and subsequently, lots of grumpy neighbours!! Anyone know if you can get something similar but that actually attaches to the bike and goes off if the bike is moved? That would work.

http://www.a1airsoft.co.uk/index.php?ro ... uct_id=316
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    If the shed is shut, how will the birds & bats get in?

I have a door alarm on my shed/garage, something like http://www.lockshopdirect.co.uk/yale-single-room-alarm?source=googlebase&is_vat=1&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=feedmanager&gclid=CMfbjavw58ACFVNutAodlgkArw
    I figure you want the alarm to be the first line of defense so they don't hang around to try and break the bike lock. If the shed door has a padlock then you can get alarmed padlocks too (I've never tried them myself)

For the physical security, you could try a motorbike chain - they're heavy but that's OK if you're not carrying it about. I have a 16mm diameter chain for my motorbike but for a bike 14mm is probably big enough - this is the 14mm version of the chain I have. No doubt that it can be cut with the right tools (angle grinder or similar) but should be enough to put off most.
    http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/squire-ex- ... 50-padlock
  • cooldad wrote:

Although there's very little to go on, I take it from the name that you load a shotgun cartridge into it? I like it! Might order one. Or two.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The cycle show thing was about locks secured along the top tube. They did say that a small D-lock secured through the rear triangle was much harder to defeat as there simply isn't the space to get your tools in there.

Plus having two locks of different types?
  • Monkimark - some species of bats can get through a gap 2cm x 2cm....and birds don't need a massive hole either - its an old stone shed, plenty of access holes even when the door is shut. I had thought about getting a seriously heavy chain, but then it has to be locked with something, and then I guess the lock becomes the weak point...

Markthewitt - yeah, appreciate breaking the locks on that show could have been made harder, and in any case to break the high-end locks they needed some proper kit which most thieves wouldn't carry around - it was just highlighting that if someone really wants to take something, they'll find a way. I guess two, or maybe even more, separate/different locks increases the time and effort they have to make....
  • I have padlocked gate. Padlocked shed and the shed is alarmed. Bought a cheap alarm off ebay, 5 quid or so and have my own 4 digit pin. As soon as the door is open BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP... when it goes off, it's LOUD!

Inside my bike is attached with a very thick lock, to a wall anchor. It's also chained to my partners (crap) bike.

All the wheels are also chained together.

Yes they could just take the roof off to avoid the alarm - but i'm pinning my hopes they try the door first and get scared off.

Just make it hard for them. If they get in, they'll take it - so just make it hard for them if they do get in.
  • Don't forget about the screws holding the hinges on. A padlock is not much good I someone can open it from the other side.

Anything without a conventional head would do. Don't imagine to many scotes carry an assortment of security bits while out on the rob.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • cooldad wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Angus - thanks for that suggestion, I like it. Do they eat children though, because the missus might not be too happy if they go to get their bikes out and don't come back! :wink:

http://www.a1airsoft.co.uk/index.php?ro ... uct_id=316

higbly recommend these. All hell breaks loose when they go off and they think their getting shot at.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    I use smallest D lock and one of these:

http://www.a1k9.co.uk/Personal-Protecti ... rd-464.asp

:shock: