The big advertising thread

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Well the adverts were particularly active last night in our household.

On one occassion it took me 4 attempts to get into the right forum on my tablet. During that exercise I had a tour of the magazine subscriptions page, the Cycling Plus Office (twice) and an advert for somesort of alcoholic drink.

And yet at this point in time the margins either side of the forums are blank with no adverts.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Well the adverts were particularly active last night in our household.

On one occassion it took me 4 attempts to get into the right forum on my tablet. During that exercise I had a tour of the magazine subscriptions page, the Cycling Plus Office (twice) and an advert for somesort of alcoholic drink.

And yet at this point in time the margins either side of the forums are blank with no adverts.

Maybe connected with the fact that BikeRadar has been sold to new owners? http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/future ... -co/016443
  • navrig2
    Getting worse.

Whole page advert for Oakleys effectively blocking access to the forum for several seconds.

Have the reached the bottom of the gutter yet or will it get even worse?
  • Also now impossible to scroll through the 11 images in a gallery for an article without getting 3 adverts in the middle of the them?
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    The wording on this ad is very fitting, seeing as how it pops up out of the blue and stops me seeing what I am looking at until it disappears

Screenshot_2014-06-28-00-31-47_zpsxktp0tzv.png

Is someone at Bike Radar taking the mick on purpose?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    you'll be needing something, um, whatchamacallit, lad bocker, bad locker, sounds like that anyway
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    Disconnect is free and sits in the background of your browser and automatically stops advertising and rejects any requests from the website for data or content! so far I've blocked 793 requests/advertising since coming on to BR 1min ago lol
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    So how come we never see any real progress or attention paid to these complaints? Does the forum not actually give a flying proverbial what its users think?

Quick to hand out warnings, but very slow to do anything that matters.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'd never buy a product from a company who's employee perjured themselves to a known drug cheat and focus most of their marketing on fat blokes called Bubba who play golf and shoot wildlife in the name of 'sport'. I don't want to see this cr@p.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    That big Oakley ad?

Pretty fucking annoying. Even by BR's intrusive in-your-face advertising standards.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Holy jesus h Christ

Does Oakley know how much we all hate them now.

Sites a joke.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    "Take a survey?"

Click No thanks on an ipad and a new tab opens with the survey in it. Close the tab. Survey request is still there. Repeat. Over and over again.

Eventually give up and click "yes". New tab opens. Close it. Survey request box IS STILL FUCKING WELL THERE!

Seven times. Seven fucking times I had to click the fucking wanking cunting survey box before it decided to fuck off back to wherever it came from.

So here's my survey answers: take the survey box and stick it so far up your arse, Haymarket, that your eyes pop out and your nose bleeds.

Ok?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    If I view the site on my laptop, I have to click to close a full page advert for EVERY page. Every refresh, every new tab, the lot

Not sure how much longer I can put up with it, given the site don`t care and give no feedback about it.

Worst site I have ever used, which is a pity as it`s content is among the best.

Oh well, the hunt is on.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Wily-Quixote
    Wily-Quixote Posts: 269
    occasionally, today being an example, the whole screen goes black except for a couple of ads. I'm assuming that the screen is trying to load pop-ups or ad content from the site but essentially it renders the site unusable (unless I escape to the forum). It's fairly frustrating and i probably won't buy anything from bloggs cycles if the ad crashes my screen.
  • navrig2
    Adverts for dam football boots!!!!!

Football, football!!!

You've got to be kidding
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited September 2014
    ^^ this. Adidas football boots. Being advertised on a cycling forum. I guess the ads are syndicated (albeit very badly) and you don't get to choose what appears on your own site. Or at least I hope that's the case.

Edit - it's even hotlinked the word 'adid*s' - how did that happen?
  • "Take a survey?"

Click No thanks on an ipad and a new tab opens with the survey in it. Close the tab. Survey request is still there. Repeat. Over and over again.

Eventually give up and click "yes". New tab opens. Close it. Survey request box IS STILL ******* WELL THERE!

Seven times. Seven ******* times I had to click the ******* w*****g ******* survey box before it decided to fark off back to wherever it came from.

So here's my survey answers: take the survey box and stick it so far up your ars*, Haymarket, that your eyes pop out and your nose bleeds.

Ok?

Ah, well, that little problem has been solved.

The "no thanks" button has been removed. "Take a survey?" Your choices are "okay" or, errr, "okay". Or shut the window down and go somewhere else. I'll take option 3 please.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Haven't read all of this thread but the adverts on BR are getting ridiculous, to the extent that the site is in danger of becoming unusable.

I don't understand the connection between the BR admin and the site owners and really can't be bothered to read up about it, but the most annoying advert recently has been this survey request box, which is CLEARLY LINKED TO BR. I have actually now completed this damned survey just to get it out of the way, BUT IT STILL COMES UP ALMOST EVERY TIME I OPEN THE PAGE.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    As per the post above. Seriously, how can you think that an advert that suddenly takes over the entire page helps your cause?
    And do your advertisers really think that I would buy their products with such intrusive advertising?
    It will be interesting to see if this get's a reply short of "Advertising pays for the site so don't complain"!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    The adds are getting worse and more intrusive to enjoying the site. Plus experience on ipad and android mobile phone suffers as a result. I too get the "Advertising pays for the site so don't complain" but at the same time this backfires dramatically if the advert detracts for the core reason to visit the site you are left with negative brand impression.

Edit: Also worth noting that this reflects badly on the Future and BikeRadar branding and the "if you don't like it tough, we don't care attitude" in my opinion speaks volumes about the brand.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • navrig2
    Bosh Vacuum Cleaners!!!
  • navrig2
    Now perfume!!

Must pop out and buy some. :roll:
  • sketchley
    Volvic add, full page video. Very intrusive. Another product on the list of not to buy.
    --
    Chris

• navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Seriously?! Take heed of your user base feedback. Others will.
  • Whoa! That Diesel thing! I feel defiled! :shock:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I see the ridiculous ads are back. I'd love to meet the idiot that thinks ads that jump around on screen and cause people to click on the wrong link are a good idea.
    More problems but still living....
  • sketchley
    Whoa! That Diesel thing! I feel defiled! :shock:

Yep, Diesel now also on list of product I'll actively avoid. When will you start listening to you user base?
    --
    Chris

• Sketchley wrote:
    Whoa! That Diesel thing! I feel defiled! :shock:

Yep, Diesel now also on list of product I'll actively avoid. When will you start listening to you user base?

It's particularly invasive with the comedy cracking screen, isn't it? I've visited 'gentlemen's interest' sites where the advertising is subtler. We'll, I haven't, obviously, but a friend of mine has and he then told me about it.
  • sketchley
    The xbox1 / fifa 15 (I assume) is bloody annoying. Both now on the boycott list.
    --
    Chris

• I recognise the fact you need to advertise for revenue etc etc but ive just spent six minutes just trying to log in to your site on an iPad because the background ads keep popping about all over the place and forcing your buttons to jump about.

Please fix it. No point putting advertising at the forefront of the site if everyone leaves for a rival website because they cant log into yours, kinda shooting yourselves in the foot a bit...less viewers = less revenue from advertising..