Man Down - ME - Winter tyre recomendations?!

corriebee1
corriebee1 Posts: 390
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
Ouch, ouch and ouch.

My first nasty fall off the road bike in 2,500 miles. I guess it was coming! A slippy day today in the pouring rain and i came a cropper on a line of cobbles delineating the boundary between a bus stop and the main carriageway in Cambridge centre. Road rash down my left side (I'm currently sticking nicely to my suit) and a couple of sore hands.

Kit-wise. Bib's seem to have survived (kudos to Etxeondo) but i've ripped through my gloves. The brake/gear levers and hood was twisted round the bars quite badly but with a bit of brute force i think i've got it back to where it's meant to be. Haven't looked too closely at the rest of the bike but it felt okay as I walked the rest of the commute to the office.

Any recommendations/good deals on Winter, slightly grippier tyres? My slicks have been on the bike since i got it (2,500 miles) and they are useless now in the wet!

Comments

• ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    I use Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps. They're very good tyres in all conditions. I swapped out Mavic own brand when I bought a new set of wheels and put on the Vredesteins and the difference in speed and grip in the wet was pretty astonishing.
  • I use Vittoria Open Pave in Amsterdam (lots of cobbles). As the name suggests, they're designed for cobbles & pave and they're very very good. They're not cheap and they wear quite quickly but a fall hurts and can cause quite some damage and injury.

I'd also recommend mailing the council to report your accident.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I have just put on some Vredestein Fotezza Extreme weather in readiness for colder/wetter rides and they do feel great. I had Vredestein Tricomps before and rode about 5000km on those from February through August and they were great. No absolutely puncture proof (I think I had 3 or 4) but not bad at all. Prior to those I had some Rubino pros which rode beautifully, were quite hardy but I felt a little skittish.
    Ridley Fenix SL