CTL and performance analysis

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited September 2014 in Amateur race
Last major race of the season next Sunday.
Currently my form has fallen "off a cliff"
Last year when I put in a decent race the variance in CTL for the previous 45 days was 16.
It is only 5 for same period this year.
Analysing the CTL numbers, is this possible reason for being over fatigued even though it is masking itself and only made clear by the poor results (DNFs basically) in last couple of weeks?
I have made fundamental error in not paying attention to periodisation?

Comments

• I do not race , but my CTL has been over 70 all year, even after several days rest of an easy week.

Not sure I can help, but do you perhaps have weird starting values?
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    JGSI wrote:
    the variance in CTL for the previous 45 days
    Were you expecting this to correlate with form in some way? or mask fatigue? Sorry if i'm missing something.
  • jgsi
    Tom Dean wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    Were you expecting this to correlate with form in some way? or mask fatigue? Sorry if i'm missing something.

Well I was trying to draw some usefulness from the accummulated stats but information on how to use the various metrics of ATL/CTL and TSB is all a bit sparse on the ground especially when you are trying to relate it to the real world.

I shall try my hardest to do well on Sunday.. not too well of course as I dont want to end up with a jersey I cant defend next year... (joke mode)

The static nature of my CTL this year is just an indication of : forgetting to rest up proper and no beach holiday either.
  • JGSI wrote:
    Last major race of the season next Sunday.
    Currently my form has fallen "off a cliff"
    Last year when I put in a decent race the variance in CTL for the previous 45 days was 16.
    It is only 5 for same period this year.
    Analysing the CTL numbers, is this possible reason for being over fatigued even though it is masking itself and only made clear by the poor results (DNFs basically) in last couple of weeks?
    I have made fundamental error in not paying attention to periodisation?

Regardless of what the numbers do or do not say, you have made the fundamental error of not taking it very easy or resting when you need to.

A DNF to me would signify mental fatigue as much as anything else.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    JGSI wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

Well I was trying to draw some usefulness from the accummulated stats but information on how to use the various metrics of ATL/CTL and TSB is all a bit sparse on the ground especially when you are trying to relate it to the real world.

I shall try my hardest to do well on Sunday.. not too well of course as I dont want to end up with a jersey I cant defend next year... (joke mode)

The static nature of my CTL this year is just an indication of : forgetting to rest up proper and no beach holiday either.

Really hard to comment on this without seeing real numbers. Can you do a few screenshots and post?
  • herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    ...and let us know how the race went!
  • jgsi
    60 miles for us 'ol gits always a tough call.. but lasted the pace.. just had too little to give in the bunch gallop at the end.
    The only plan now is to really rest up , holiday in end of the month and probably pick up training in November.