Vuelta stage 21 ***spoilers***

thomthom
thomthom Posts: 3,574
edited September 2014 in Pro race
I know it's s'hit and all but that's just too sloppy when we've had one each day. Not one has bothered making the last spoiler thread..

21_perfil.png

Comments

• thomthom
    1. Adriano Malori 11' 12''
    2. Jesse Sergent + 8''
    3. Rohan Dennis +9"
    4. Vasil Kiryienka + 17''
    5. Jimmy Engoulvent + 18''
    6. Sergei Chernetski + 18''
    7. Maciej Bodnar + 18''
    8. Alexey Lutsenko 27 + 18''
    9. Jesper Stuyven 217 + 19''
    10. Damien Gaudin 14 + 19''
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Not quite sure it's 'live' on Eurosport as advertised but the weather has put a real downer on this.

No one is giving it the beans and no one wants to crash. First half was dry, second very wet.
  • thomthom
    It's live here. Not on Eurosport though. And yes - the race is over. Malori will win this because of the weather.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Not quite sure it's 'live' on Eurosport as advertised but the weather has put a real downer on this.
    It is live.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Sun's out - will it dry out?
    Final ten start times (local time):
    150. CARUSO, Damiano 65 Cannondale Pro Cycling 20:00
    151. NAVARRO, Daniel 71 Cofidis, Solutions Crédits 20:02
    152. BARGUIL, Warren 111 Team Giant - Shimano 20:04
    153. MARTIN, Daniel 102 Garmin Sharp 20:06
    154. SÁNCHEZ, Samuel 41 BMC Racing Team 20:08
    155. ARU, Fabio 21 Astana Pro Team 20:10
    156. RODRIGUEZ, Joaquin 131 Team Katusha 20:12
    157. VALVERDE, Alejandro 151 Movistar Team 20:14
    158. FROOME, Christopher 191 Team SKY 20:16
    159. CONTADOR, Alberto 201 Tinkoff - Saxo 20:18
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Looked like a last minute adjustment of tyre pressure for Contador.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Looks like they brought the finish forward slightly to before the last section of cobbles. Despite commentating on dozens of riders crossing the line Kirby still hasn't realised this...
  • Froome gives it everything and takes 26 secs out of Contador which is a lot but I guess Contador was taking it easy. Valverde retains his podoum spot and JRod his 4th. Dan Martin was unable to claw back the 17secs to Sanchez. Congratulations Malori and congratulations to Contador. A good race with little pressure or fanfare.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • A weather ruined last stage. Shame, because it was a perfect back drop.
    Santiago de Campostela: where they all believe in the resurrection and miracles. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Bit of a damp squib finish in all respects with everyone basically just riding to finish in one piece. Not really a worthy ending for what was a decent race. Contador ultimately good value for his win, shame Nairo crashed out and Froome just took a bit too long getting his form. Anyone else notice that Nieve was riding in Rowe's skin suit today? So much for Sky and their marginal gains, I can't imagine Nieve and Rowe are remotely the same size!
  • WTF are both AC and Froome playing at finishing >1 min down on a 10km TT?

I get that AC would just ride to CF's times but that is truly shameful from both. Especially as both have been GC TT stage winners.

Hope they both fall of again next year after this pathetic display.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • thomthom
    5duFF5h.gif
  • Pross
    type:epyt wrote:
    WTF are both AC and Froome playing at finishing >1 min down on a 10km TT?

I get that AC would just ride to CF's times but that is truly shameful from both. Especially as both have been GC TT stage winners.

Did you watch the stage? There was torrential rain after the early starters (which included Malori). The circuit had cobbles and flag stones in places and most of the rest of the course was twisty with lots of road markings. No-one was risking a fall given the improbability of gaining a place. The fastest average I saw after it went live was less than 45kph on a pan flat course!
  • Pross wrote:
    type:epyt wrote:
    WTF are both AC and Froome playing at finishing >1 min down on a 10km TT?

Did you watch the stage? There was torrential rain after the early starters (which included Malori). The circuit had cobbles and flag stones in places and most of the rest of the course was twisty with lots of road markings. No-one was risking a fall given the improbability of gaining a place. The fastest average I saw after it went live was less than 45kph on a pan flat course!

:oops:

Hands up! I just bothered to read the gaps.

Technically it's their own fault for not staying close enough to make the final stage worth watching (maybe).
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    If a stupidly short TT at the start of a GT is a Prologue, was this an Epilogue?

Where is the point in having such a stupidly short TT as a stage in a GT? What a waste of everyone's time, but typical of some of the stupid things that are included in the Mickey Mouse Tour.

Well done miracle man Bertie on your overall, shame Froome took so long to find form. Shame Bert showed zero class yeterday having wheelsucked Froome up two MTFs. He had no need to take more time yesterday.
  • FGS, Contador won (in Red) to demonstrate to the fans (especially those who trailed up the mountainside) why he was the worthy winner. If it was a young rider or someone way down on GC then fair enough but it was his closest rival for the win, who had tried to attacked him in the final 2km.

Winner's win, the clue is in the name.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Bit of a farce that. I'm usually of the opinion that riders should be able to ride whatever the race holds including cobbled stages. However, this was just silly, imagine Contador had taken a big tumble due to the rain/course and Froome won or any of the other main contenders/jerseys changed hands (bit like Menchov at the Giro - although he fell and held on to the lead). This wasn't really appropriate for a final stage.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    shameless by Contador and Valverde wearing normal caps on the podium and not cycling ones.

Great race all round. Enjoyed this GT
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    If a stupidly short TT at the start of a GT is a Prologue, was this an Epilogue?

Where is the point in having such a stupidly short TT as a stage in a GT? What a waste of everyone's time, but typical of some of the stupid things that are included in the Mickey Mouse Tour..

Is a parade and sprint a better finish?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Where is the point in having such a stupidly short TT as a stage in a GT? What a waste of everyone's time, but typical of some of the stupid things that are included in the Mickey Mouse Tour..

Yes.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Pross wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Yes.

IF you have a fixed final stage venue where you know the world's best sprinters will be there. I like the fact that the Tour does that, and I like the fact that the other GTs vary things.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    There's nothing wrong with a final stage TT but the length of the one yesterday made it pointless. If there was a chance it could have resulted in an '89 Tour repeat it would have been fantastic. The circuit itself was poor and the whole point in being there was as a celebration of the town but the cathedral and surrounding area at the start were a building site so it didn't exactly give a good image.
  • I didn't think it was possible to outdo the circuit stage for sheer sh*tness, but that was off the scale. Sure they were unlucky with the weather, but have to agree that finishing with such a short TT was just guaranteeing the damp squib. Surely they would also have known that the cathedral was being rebuilt when they planned the route. Watched the ToB back to back with it, and a short TT to finish that makes sense, as does having a sprint stage to guarantee some excitement at the end.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    I have no problem with a proper TT to finish, as the Giro did when Ryder pipped JRod to win a couple of years ago, but a sub 9 km TT is not a stage, it was a complete waste of everyone's time.
    A 40-50 km route would have left the final result in the balance and forced the riders to put some effort in, to chase or to hold onto their positions.

Even the ToB TT was too short - that should have been at least 16 kms.
  • 10643886_316211261883740_1303586800_n.jpg

Cound with the greatest stage race rider of his generation. Trying to get some tips so Froome can win his second GT (he only has one to Contador's 8 and Nibali's 3).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    10643886_316211261883740_1303586800_n.jpg

Cound with the greatest stage race rider of his generation. Trying to get some tips so Froome can win his second GT (he only has one to Contador's 8 and Nibali's 3).

OK, you've finally pushed me to it, but please, Frenchie, just grow up. And if you really don't regard Froome as a threat to your beloved, why are you so disparaging about him time after time?
  • Have you not seen how complementary I have been to Froome all Vuelta? Seriously. Maybe go back and check every spoiler then commend me on praising him before biting me for making a tongue in cheek comment....
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Have you not seen how complementary I have been to Froome all Vuelta? Seriously. Maybe go back and check every spoiler then commend me on praising him before biting me for making a tongue in cheek comment....

I have, that's why I said 'time after time' instead of all the time. Can you continue, please.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Repeat after me:
    'Alberto Contador has only won six Grand Tours.'
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    bart-simpson-generator.php?line=+++++++++++++Alberto+Contador+has+only+won+six+Grand+Tours
    Twitter: @RichN95