Best place to live in the UK

thelivo
thelivo Posts: 7
edited October 2014 in MTB general
Hey all,

have been in NZ for a few years and been spoilt for riding destinations. We are coming back to the UK mid next year, and are in the fortunate position of being able to choose to live pretty much anywhere. Where is the best riding in the UK at the moment, for both quality and quantity?

I'm not into really ull on downhill type riding (and I ride a blur TRC at the moment) but just about anything else goes.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
D

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Got to be Lakes or Peaks to start with, and look further afield if you can't find anywhere there that suits you.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Scotland. Great place to live and ride and as a bonus it won't be part of the UK much longer.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Is riding the only consideration? I'd sooner live somewhere with good transport links and general quality of life, there aren't many places with truly dire mountain biking (possibly avoid Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire/East Anglia, and obviously the major cities). The UK is small enough that you're never more than 3-4 hours from Wales/Lakes etc etc.
  • Scotland. Great place to live and ride and as a bonus it won't be part of the UK much longer.

One word: Midges.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Nah - riding is not the only consideration of course but I have most of the other bits covered! (My wife's scottish and I am english). I left the UK 10 years ago after having worked in London for too long - so one of the things coming back is we are definitely NOT going to the south east. My dad is in the peaks and thats one area we have already homed in on, just hoping to get some other alternatives for good singletrack! Scotland is obviously an option as well.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The 'Scene' is definitely strongest around the shropshire area (Shrewsbury etc.). With plenty of natural trails round there, N, S & Mid wales only a short drive, Fod etc. not too far, lots of options...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    Aye, north west generally puts you very well placed for Wales, Peak, Lakes etc.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    The 'Scene' is definitely strongest around the shropshire area (Shrewsbury etc.). With plenty of natural trails round there, N, S & Mid wales only a short drive, Fod etc. not too far, lots of options...
    aye
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As long as you can put up with people talking funny.
    njee20 wrote:
    Aye
    buddy_club wrote:
    aye

Kia Ora.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    And the permafrost that exists up there.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    thelivo wrote:

have been in NZ for a few years and been spoilt for riding destinations. We are coming back to the UK mid next year, and are in the fortunate position of being able to choose to live pretty much anywhere. Where is the best riding in the UK at the moment, for both quality and quantity?
    D

better ask this question next week as the UK will be changing in size :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Scotland.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Scotland.
    Bloody foreigners.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Scotland.
    Bloody foreigners.

You're just jealous that they won't have the British government ruling them much longer (bunch of useless ******* only interested in their own profits and don't recognise anything outside London).
    Lucky bastards.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    You're just jealous that they won't have the British government ruling them much longer (bunch of useless ******* only interested in their own profits and don't recognise anything outside London).
    Lucky bastards.

Which will soon become...
    Scottish government, bunch of useless ******* only interested in their own profits and don't recognise anything outside Edinburgh.

But to get back on track.

You're spoilt for choice, me and the wife often have the conversation around where we'd like to live and it's always really close between - Peaks, Wales and Lakes. (Moved to Huddersfield not only because of commuting location but also because of the location to the Peaks and near-ish Lakes & Wales)

Scotland is beautiful but living there is another matter, bit too remote for us.
  • hi mate

Stirling in Scotland is amazing. within 2 hours: all of the 7 stanes, local amazing natural riding with the best access laws in the world, 3000 foot plus descents and the best downhill course in the world (again imo).

plus the beer is good and some of the food is not bad ...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    buddy_club wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    aye

+ potato
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    I can definitely say avoid Cambridge/Cambridgeshire as it's flatter than a pancake.
  • Somerset is a great choice. Quantock hills, Mendip hills and Exmoor. Not far to the South Wales trail centres or Haldon, Tavi Woodlands and Gawton.
    Most importantly, Somerset has the best cider (not cidre) in the world.
  • I'd stay in NZ!
  • cooldad
    I'd stay in NZ!
    +1 kumara
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sheffield, naturally. Close to the (well in the) Peaks, Wharncliffe, Yorkshire Dales, NY moors, Wolds, and being centrally placed, not far from other places too.
  • Best answer to this probably being that the UK/ england, Scotland and wales from Thursday has loads and loads of excellent riding all within a few hours drive some places on your doorstep. Plenty to choose from and plenty of variety we live in an excellent place for mtbing. Overall :D
  • Argh - struggling with this forum - keeps kicking me back to the home page when I click reply - anyway.....

Thanks all for the replies and helpful advice! Funnily enough 2 of the places that have come up as potentials because of all the other factors involved (family, communications, jobs etc) are Stirling and Sheffield/ the peaks so it looks like we are pretty well set for now!
    Looking forward to some new riding, but am really going to miss the trails here. If you can manage it I strongly suggest coming out and riding at Rotorua one day!
  • cooldad
    Smelly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Rhyl
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Cardiff was just voted best city to live in the UK. the riding isn't too shabby here either
  • Surely this is an impossible question, every region has it's hot spots.

I'd rather pick my spot based on other factors than riding a push bike.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'd rather pick my spot based on other factors than riding a push bike.
    Why bother?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Definitely Burnley. Some refer to it as the Ass hole of the UK. But it does have a good pie shop.