Ride London 2015

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    if a giant eagle hadnt swooped down and carried me off to the planet zog for medical research i would have got 3 and a half and got in the top 1%. tough break huh

ok, so i was a bit sore about working my butt off and getting just under 6 at an average of 14.5 after getting stuck in richmond park in the pouring rain for ages behind the accident and getting two punctures and taking lots of other stops and hearing folks banging on about stopping for tea with the queen and still getting 4 hours but im sure i will get over it. After the RP debacle i was just concerned with safety and survival so pretty pleased to get around intact and raise money for the kids i support. grumpy bit over, happy smile mikey...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    6 hours does not sound too bad with all the hold ups.
    As to stops, well you either stop and enjoy all that gives or tough it out and do it in one if you want a fast time.

The real bummer is that if you do it again your start time will probably not reflect your ability :(

Well done on raising cash though. That must give you a better feeling than a super fast time.
    It was not really the year for fast times IMO. The main reason to get back quick was to get out of the rain and generally miserable conditions, but you had to ease off a lot to try to avoid problems.

Let's just hope this year comes to be known as 'the wet year' for the next few years at least.
  • Anonymous
    edited August 2014
    Would have been good to draft Martin Johnson then.
    We ended up sitting behind him to watch the Pro's finish. Shame I was not behind him earlier as might have stayed dry :lol:

Can you print out a certificate with your time on like you could last year?
  • Mikey23
    He is a big lad and looks massive on a bike...

Plenty of strava PRs there for the taking next year. I think i should improve on my RIchmond park average of 1.2 mph!
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Mikey23 wrote:
    He is a big lad and looks massive on a bike...

Plenty of strava PRs there for the taking next year. I think i should improve on my RIchmond park average of 1.2 mph!

:D
    Can't the mods move all this stuff about Ride London 2014 into the Ride London 2014 thread?

But what would we talk about?
  • Mikey23
    Zackly
  • Mikey23
    Of course im now realising that if i had paused my garmin in rp rather than letting it run down every time i shuffled forward then i would have got round in 5.25 at 15.5. Still not brilliant but pretty darned good for me...And i still dont know why it went bonkers a couple of times by auto pausing on and off at least 20 times in succession
  • Anonymous
    Do you just want to know your moving time?
    Are you on strava? strava will show moving time.
  • Mikey23
    The prob was that we were still moving albeit at shuffling pace... Here is one of the segs, i know i can improve on this next year!

http://www.strava.com/activities/178615 ... 4176713478
  • So they took my money to enter the ballot.

If I am not successful how quickly do they give it back?

I seem to remember reading something that said they didn't take the money until the ballot was done. :?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    There is a choice whether to pay up front (with some benefits), or pay only if you are successful in the ballot. You won't get a refund if you're unsuccessful.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Anonymous
    But you do get a long sleeve jersey :wink:

Why do you think they asked what size you were? Did you think you got that and the entry/roads closed/goodie bag/medal if successful, and your money back if not?

It looks a better 'gift' than in previous years.
  • Mikey23
    I thought it was so they could calculate the size of people so as to cram as many as possible in the space... Only tiny ones get in...
  • Anonymous
    Or could be so they know what best to put in the goodie bags 8)

I did not donate the first year and did not get in (on the ballot).

I donated this year, but wife did not. I got in, she did not.

We have now both donated our entry for next year lol.
  • drlodge wrote:
    There is a choice whether to pay up front (with some benefits), or pay only if you are successful in the ballot. You won't get a refund if you're unsuccessful.

The entry system is getting more and more depressing. I wonder when they will start combining a hefty entry fee + a minimum amount of charity money raised.
    Where do you guys draw the line... I mean there must be a point where you say:"right, this is just plain wrong and a shameless rip off"
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge wrote:

The entry system is getting more and more depressing. I wonder when they will start combining a hefty entry fee + a minimum amount of charity money raised.
    Where do you guys draw the line... I mean there must be a point where you say:"right, this is just plain wrong and a shameless rip off"

Yeah totally. I dropped out of the ballot last year when I discovered what they were asking as an entry fee.
    But then felt like I'd missed out on something when clubmates reported how much fun it was riding on closed roads.
    Then paid £50 and shook down mates for sponsorship cash to take part in the aquatic ceremony this year.
    Certainly won't be doing that again - but very much my own fault for not having the courage of my convictions.
    There's obviously been a ramping up at the high end of the endurance event market in both running and cycling in the last five years - though in cycling it's possibly more forgiveable given the extra demands organising an event imposes.
    In fellrunning you can take part in the venerable Lake District / Peak District races, organised by local clubs and marshalled by volunteers, for less than a tenner - then you get outfits like Human Race coming along organising flashier (but often inferior) events that cost £35 to enter....
    I think cycling is analagous - local time trials vs things like RideLondon and the newer flashier sportives.
  • Yeah totally. I dropped out of the ballot last year when I discovered what they were asking as an entry fee.
    But then felt like I'd missed out on something when clubmates reported how much fun it was riding on closed roads.
    Then paid £50 and shook down mates for sponsorship cash to take part in the aquatic ceremony this year.
    Certainly won't be doing that again - but very much my own fault for not having the courage of my convictions.
    There's obviously been a ramping up at the high end of the endurance event market in both running and cycling in the last five years - though in cycling it's possibly more forgiveable given the extra demands organising an event imposes.
    In fellrunning you can take part in the venerable Lake District / Peak District races, organised by local clubs and marshalled by volunteers, for less than a tenner - then you get outfits like Human Race coming along organising flashier (but often inferior) events that cost £35 to enter....
    I think cycling is analagous - local time trials vs things like RideLondon and the newer flashier sportives.
    I get what you say, but my point is: are we already at a point where you pay to get A CHANCE to enter a ballot to enter an event? Is disposable cash no longer a luxury, but something to burn to light a cigar?
    I suppose if you paid to get into a ballot to get a seat on a Ryanair flight, you wouldn't be happy, would you?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826

I'd draw the line at having to pay to enter the ballot, or having to raise money for charity. I just want to do this ride and enjoy it. The entry fee is quite large now, but it is a 100 mile closed road event with a finish in London, so I expect to have to pay a reasonable amount. Probably £75 is qwhere I'd draw the line on that as there's an overnight stay and food etc on top.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I get what you say, but my point is: are we already at a point where you pay to get A CHANCE to enter a ballot to enter an event? Is disposable cash no longer a luxury, but something to burn to light a cigar?
    I suppose if you paid to get into a ballot to get a seat on a Ryanair flight, you wouldn't be happy, would you?

Yes well quite.
    I suppose RL might say you are getting a long-sleeve jersey that could be worth £50-odd...
    They can ask whatever the market will sustain, as some people are fond of pointing out - and for something so oversubscribed as RL I'm sure there's some way to go on the taking-the-p*ss-ometer yet.
  • Mikey23
    Didnt do this years ballot but felt obliged to ride for my company which had charity places and £600 to raise. Getting people to part with their money is utterly sould destroying and something i dont intend to do again. Pig sick of asking people to stump up the cash they promised and im starting to hate some of them. Entered the ballot this year and not pledged. Dont want some stoopid tee shirt and am not going to give away £50 for nothing. Jaundiced about the whole thing which after all is only a flippin bike ride...
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Getting people to part with their money is utterly sould destroying and something i dont intend to do again. Pig sick of asking people to stump up the cash they promised and im starting to hate some of them.

Absolutely!
  • I get what you say, but my point is: are we already at a point where you pay to get A CHANCE to enter a ballot to enter an event?
    You don't pay to have the chance to enter, you have the option of donating your entry fee should you not get a place. And in exchange they send you a useless garment when you fail. So for next year I've just entered the ballot, and when I fail to get a place I will try a team entry again, and after that never mind.

I think the Welsh Velothon will be much more fun, and it appears not to be confused about its purpose, and you can just enter. And then an Etape or Marmotte costs less than a charity place in the Ride London.

Paul
  • Anonymous
    I get what you say, but my point is: are we already at a point where you pay to get A CHANCE to enter a ballot to enter an event? Is disposable cash no longer a luxury, but something to burn to light a cigar?

Yes well quite.
    I suppose RL might say you are getting a long-sleeve jersey that could be worth £50-odd...
    They can ask whatever the market will sustain, as some people are fond of pointing out - and for something so oversubscribed as RL I'm sure there's some way to go on the taking-the-p*ss-ometer yet.

You are not paying to enter a ballot, you are donating your fee to charity should you not get in.

Its a charity gig first and foremost, if you get in for £50/58 then count yourself lucky, but don't expect it and then moan when you do not get it.

£50/58 to cycle on 100 miles of closed roads around central London etc. seems a good deal to me.
    Guess you will not be paying £55 to cycle around 75 miles of closed roads in Wales then?

If you think its expensive/a rip off, just don't entertain it.
  • Carbonator wrote:

You are not paying to enter a ballot, you are donating your fee to charity should you not get in.

Its a charity gig first and foremost, if you get in for £50/58 then count yourself lucky, but don't expect it and then moan when you do not get it.

£50/58 to cycle on 100 miles of closed roads around central London etc. seems a good deal to me.
    Guess you will not be paying £55 to cycle around 75 miles of closed roads in Wales then?

If you think its expensive/a rip off, just don't entertain it.

I like how you get all defensive as if you were the organiser... :wink:

Nobody here is questioning the 50/58 quid entry fee, which is kind of in line with the upper side of the market and same price as the Etape Cymru you mention... unlike the Etape Cymru, where you are not paying just to enter a ballot though... then whether (my) money goes to charity or to pay for the expensive venue they chose for a start, I might not care that much, I am still 50 quid poorer and not riding the event, if I am not drawn.

I think the charity card is often played dirty, to make people feel somewhat guilty if they don't want to part with the cash. Most cycling events have a charitable fund, some probably have a proportionally higher % fund than the RL, but none that I am aware of take your money in return for a T-shirt and a Thank you
  • Anonymous
    Not defensive, just putting straight inaccuracies.

You do not have to pay to enter the ballot at all, its optional, so where does all this paying to enter come from?
    Track record for wife and I is you get in if you donate, and not if you don't. So we both donated for next year.

Originally (year one) there was an extra ballot of 1000 places if you donated.
    Not sure if years two or three had/has this but think the jersey, track record and general warm feeling of giving make it worth while this time around.

We should all give a bit IMO and it feels great telling charity cold callers etc. that my yearly charity budget is spoken for :D
    When I do get approached I always offer them £300 for a RideLondon place, but they never take me up on it.

Velothon Wales is my new baby Ugo. Have done the Cardiff Half a few times and its a great city for events IME.
    That coupled with welsh closed roads, a shorter/faster route and (I think) decent/real hill/hills should be great.

Might be bored with RLS100 were it not for the rain this year. Defo want to do it again next year now though.
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Getting people to part with their money is utterly sould destroying and something i dont intend to do again. Pig sick of asking people to stump up the cash they promised and im starting to hate some of them.

Absolutely!

I've also found it's really quite hard to get people to sponsor you to do something they know you enjoy doing anyway. If I'd never touched a bike I'm sure I would have raised 3x as much as I did.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Carbonator wrote:

Velothon Wales is my new baby Ugo. Have done the Cardiff Half a few times and its a great city for events IME.
    That coupled with welsh closed roads, a shorter/faster route and (I think) decent/real hill/hills should be great.

Might be bored with RLS100 were it not for the rain this year. Defo want to do it again next year now though.

I done the 1st Ride London (charity place for BHF) but decided against going for number 2 (as baby number 2 arrived at Christmas and I knew I wouldn't be up for going out training every weekend for months on end). Have entered the ballot for 2015 but will not be devastated if I don't get in.

Velothon Wales has the potential to be truly awesome. Dunno if it's a faster route but it looks more challenging and Cardiff is a fabulous city. Also - if you're a BC member you can book your place in the Velothon Wales TODAY instead o waiting for Thursday. Simply log into the BC website and look for the link in the hub. I booked my spot half hour ago.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    i'm quite interested in velothon wales, maybe we should create a separate thread for that.

What we all need to realise is this is billed as a charity fundraising event. That's the main aim, the free entries are just a bonus
  • Anonymous
    IanREmery wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

I done the 1st Ride London (charity place for BHF) but decided against going for number 2 (as baby number 2 arrived at Christmas and I knew I wouldn't be up for going out training every weekend for months on end). Have entered the ballot for 2015 but will not be devastated if I don't get in.

Velothon Wales has the potential to be truly awesome. Dunno if it's a faster route but it looks more challenging and Cardiff is a fabulous city. Also - if you're a BC member you can book your place in the Velothon Wales TODAY instead o waiting for Thursday. Simply log into the BC website and look for the link in the hub. I booked my spot half hour ago.

I found you had to use the link they send you rather than navigate to it from the site.

By faster (not great choice of word :oops: ) I meant less time in saddle/quicker to finish rather than faster average speed.
  • Anonymous
    sherer wrote:
    i'm quite interested in velothon wales, maybe we should create a separate thread for that.

Yes.......... you should 8)

You could ask who is doing it and what time they want to complete it in.
    Whether or not they are stopping and how much fluid they are taking if not.

Oh, don't forget to ask how much bigger/harder the hills are compared to RL and if there is any official clothing.

It might be a bit of a pants thread without ballot/charity place whinging though, but cost, racing/not racing and close passing should pad it out nicely :lol: