Change in Riding Postion?

greedy86
greedy86 Posts: 17
edited September 2014 in MTB beginners
Good Morning all,

Looking for a little advise.

I've got hold of an 2003 Norco Bigfoot hardtail - it needs a little work but not much.

It's going to be for my GF to use though. The frame is approx. the right size but she's not too sure on the riding position.

What can I do to make it a little more comfortable, that would, in turn, prevent moaning. :P

I was thinking and shorter stem? Seat as far forward as it can? Can I raise the bars to make it more upright?

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on how she wants to sit and what riding, my wife has an inline seatpost, stubby riser stem and riser bars as she likes to sit upright (no she doesn't do real offroading, but the bike is good enough for fire breaks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah - that's exactly what she's wanting really.

I was thinking a stubby stem - but abit more upright? It's got riser bars so probably twist them upright also.

Can you get additional spacers below the stem? Is there a maximum amount you can have?
  • Or is it just a case of adjusting what you've already got?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    greedy86 wrote:
    Can you get additional spacers below the stem? Is there a maximum amount you can have?
    Not unless there are some above the stem to swap with, or the stem would be clamping on air.
    So unlikely.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Nice.

Well I'm not sure of the top of my head. Will check it out tonight.

It's pretty much good to go other than a knackered gear shifter which will need replacing.
  • If you arent looking at doing serious off road riding there are extension pieces that can clamp to steerers like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handlebar-stem-raiser-fits-steerers/dp/B0039Z6ANO - a little bit crap but would serve the purpose.

Just as a generalised aside though - if you dont want your misses to hate riding and moan all the time why buy a haphazardly sized bike for her in the first place?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Just need to ask her what she wants from the riding position and setup the bike up to achieve that. My wife's XC mtb is setup fairly short and upright as that is her preference. My XC mtb has a relatively longer position with more drop to the bars as that is what I prefer. We both ride the same trails which are steep and rough in places.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    High rise stem
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xstasy-black- ... 19f365e112

You can get even steeper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fitting a shorter stem will make the riding position more upright. Just make one change at a time or you could go too far the other way.
  • I couldn't agree more - I've been searching the likes of ebay and gumtree for a suitable bike for her now for quite some time and to no avail.

She's pretty tall - I'm 6"2 and she's only a little shorter. 5"11 or something.

I've come across a 20" Norco Bigfoot though - which I'm hoping to adjust slightly to suit.

I think it's quite upright at the minute - so hears hoping she's like the riding position.

If not - i'll maybe invent in one of those riser stems. Just waiting on new brake levers and gear shifters for it! :)