Canyon Endurace CF

Comments

• Thats good news to hear of one that doesn't have this problem. Can I ask, does your model have the i-lock headset with the hole in the top of steerer? Is there any movement/flex at all when you try rocking with front break on?

As it stands I've contacted Canyon and they have replied enquiring if I had tried adjusting the headset as per their manuals etc (even though I had told them the bike has been checked over by a mechanic used to Canyon bikes/headsets!). I'm waiting to hear back whats next.
  • krogort wrote:
    Ordered a CF 9.0 Ultrgra, stealth as it is listed as "in stock" and it's due to be shipped next week.
    That last post is killing my hopes though.

Beinf 178cm (5.8ft) with a 85cm (33in) inseam, I am torn between the size M and L, the Stack on the M seems kinda low and I might need to flip the stem to prevent neck pain. Ended up ordering a M, I hope I have made the good choice and that it will fit.

I think the Endurace we see now is the 2015 model, all the other bikes have had their 2015 variant announced except for the Endurace.
    Keep the faith mine was meant to be ready week 39 but just had the mail saying its been built and will be shipped in 48 hours Frame size L and Cyan colour. Do these come with pedals I don't recall?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    krogort wrote:
    Ordered a CF 9.0 Ultrgra, stealth as it is listed as "in stock" and it's due to be shipped next week.
    That last post is killing my hopes though.

Beinf 178cm (5.8ft) with a 85cm (33in) inseam, I am torn between the size M and L, the Stack on the M seems kinda low and I might need to flip the stem to prevent neck pain. Ended up ordering a M, I hope I have made the good choice and that it will fit.

I think the Endurace we see now is the 2015 model, all the other bikes have had their 2015 variant announced except for the Endurace.
    Keep the faith mine was meant to be ready week 39 but just had the mail saying its been built and will be shipped in 48 hours Frame size L and Cyan colour. Do these come with pedals I don't recall?
    Not unless you specified pedals as an optional extra. Makes no sense to put a default pedal on a bike like this as almost everyone will be putting on their own choice of clipless pedal anyway.
  • Yeah thought as much , I've always gone for look pedals by laziness more than anything. Are they a better option for the price? Any standout deals on wiggle etc ?
  • ai_1
    If you get on well with the Look pedals, fair enough. Never tried them but I assume they feel fairly similar to Shimano SPD-SL. I used SPD-SL for a while. They were okay but didn't feel quite right. Switched to Speedplay Zeros and found them way more comfortable. In terms of comfort and adjustability the Speedplays leave nothing to be desired for me. They need a tiny bit of maintanence compared to some other types but nothing that should put you off.
  • What sort of maintenance are we talking ? Anyone else comment on if they are worth extra ?
  • Yeah thought as much , I've always gone for look pedals by laziness more than anything. Are they a better option for the price? Any standout deals on wiggle etc ?
    Look pedals are good, they offer more float than Shimano SPD-SL and require less maintenance than Speedplay.

Keo 2 Max are good and affordable.
    But they will soon be replaced by Keo 2 Max Blade.
    http://road.cc/content/news/129255-look ... ange-video

The only good thing with Canyon being late shipping my Endurace is that by the time I recieve it the new pedals might be released.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    I bit the bullet. Order placed the other night. It showed that my size was in stock. However reading about sizing. Im 5'9 with a inseam of 79cm.

But after putting in dimensions it came up with a size S each time. However Ive put in request for a bigger handlebar as my width is 440, but standard it comes as 380!

I will be using my current SPD-SL, but since it will be my daily ride, Im thinking probably suited for SPD instead.

Ordered in stealth finish with the new seat post. Will see how it goes.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Hope you are not much over 70KG or that seat post will more than likely slip. I got mine changed.
  • ai_1
    What sort of maintenance are we talking ? Anyone else comment on if they are worth extra ?
    The pedal bearings need to be greased once in a while. I only do mine about every 2500km and it only takes a couple of minutes (I think they recommend doing it a bit more often than this but it seems unnecessary - mine are still perfect after 3 years). A drop of lube on the cleats every so often ensures flawless engagement and disengagement too. That's about 5 seconds worth of effort. So in total you're talking less than 15 minutes a year. It's a non-issue really. In fact the cleats last ages (I'm about to replace mine at about 15000km) so you may even save more time not replacing cleats than you spend greasing them once or twice a year. :wink:
  • mlgt
    Hope you are not much over 70KG or that seat post will more than likely slip. I got mine changed.

Hi Jim. Is this a re occurring thing that happens? Im actually 78kg currently and of course I have read about seatpost slipping and also frame cracking due to the seat clamp.

Can any other share their thoughts on this? If so I will request the original.

I was 89kg 9 months ago and shed a lot of weight simply by cycling everywhere.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Price just went down 100£ on the Endurace CF.

I hope they'll charge me the new price when they ship mine.
  • mlgt wrote:
    Hope you are not much over 70KG or that seat post will more than likely slip. I got mine changed.

Hi Jim. Is this a re occurring thing that happens? Im actually 78kg currently and of course I have read about seatpost slipping and also frame cracking due to the seat clamp.

I rung them and they advised If you are over 70 kg you may have problems. I asked for regular seat post and they said fine and refunded me the difference.
  • Just had the shipment email, getting excited now.
  • Is there a difference in the colour of the stealth, and the cyan. Apart from red or blue stickers they appear the same to me. Is the black finish different?
  • island991 i have had another look at mine and there is a little movement but i am not sure its coming from the headset area. Seems more like its the flexing of the tyre? It does have the headset with the hole in the top. It does not seem to be enough movement to affect the way it rides. Can you feel it when you are riding or only when you have the brake on rocking it back and forth?
  • Is anyone else surprised that Canyon have started discounting the Endurace so soon after it started shipping?

I'm torn between an Endurace and a Trek Domane disc and while the new Endurace price is an absolute steal I do much prefer disc brakes and I am also a bit wary by the speed of this price cut.

Anyone think there's a change they'll add a disc model in the near future?
  • mlgt
    For me, if they were to release a disc model next year I will hold off buying it now.

Order has been placed a few days ago, but with some more research on geometry and sizing I think I need to switch to a Medium. The S is far too small :(
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • mlgt wrote:

I rung them and they advised If you are over 70 kg you may have problems. I asked for regular seat post and they said fine and refunded me the difference.

Strangely, I was told it's riders over 80Kg that had potential slipping problems with VCLS 2.0 seatpost but other than that I imagine their advice was the same:

"We would also ship the bike with a VCLS 1.0 post and create a return order for the VCLS 2.0 we would refund you the cost of the postage up to 15.00 GBP when you provide us with a copy of the receipt. When we receive the unwanted VCLS 2.0 we will refund your card the upgrade price of 66,90 GBP."
  • mlgt
    So what happens if I put on a bit of weight over the winter months and go back to 80kg?

Should I just go with the older seatpost? Else I will always just wonder about the V2 seatpost over the V1 I intend to change to now?

Also since placing the order I am now debating if I should have ordered the Medium instead :(
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • I have the Endurace CF8.0 and I have to say I love it. Ideally I would have bought just the frameset but this option wasn't available so I bought the cheapest model with the new 11speed 105, with a plan to strip it and put my Campag 11speed Chorus on it. Firstly I have to say how much I like the 105 set-up, i've almost been tempted to leave it, and the ride the bike offers is exceptional - knocks my previous rides (Spesh Roubaix SL3 and then SL4) into a cocked hat! But I will rebuild it over the Winter with my Campag kit.
    I've had problems with the seatpost slipping and Canyon supplied me with a shim that fits between the two halves of the seatpost that in effect widens the diameter and this has helped. The VCLS2 seatpost has both a minimum and maximum insertion scale and between these two lines there is a slightly abrasive texture to one part of the post presumably designed to help the post bite when clamped. At the height I have my saddle, the post goes beyond the maximum insertion so the post is smooth which didn't help, but I have found that I can get it to clamp OK. I wasn't offered the option of the VCLS1 post, but it's the design of the VCLS2 post that helps with the smooth ride so i don't know what I would have done. If the problem persists then I may just fit a 3T carbon post instead. It would be useful if Canyon pointed this out on the website, they don't but i'm not sure I would have changed my decision as a result anyway.
    I'm a bit surprised that Canyon have discounted the bike so early, there aren't even any magazine reviews out there yet and i'm sure they will just sing the praises of the bike and the value for money - TBH it pisses me off a bit that they have reduced the price - I could have waited and save £160 (would pay for the 3T seatpost), but hey ho, that's life I guess.
    Having said all that, the CF8.0 at less than £1250 (event the £1400 I paid) seems an absolute bargain and I can't think of anything else in the market that offers similar spec and performance for such great value.
    FWIW the service i've had from Canyon in the UK both on the phone and by email has been good - it would be nice to visit a shop and talk to someone, look and try for size the bikes but then we wouldn't have the low prices.
    Just my tuppennies worth on this subject
    Ciao Marco
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    I'm watching this thread closely ......

Even though I'm new back to road biking, I'm already drooling over new bikes etc etc......guess thats what a lot of us do all the time, and these Canyon bikes do look mega sexy, and very well equipped for the price, due to their business model etc.

However, slipping seatposts, cracked frames........difficulty in sizing/trying,......all makes the road of buying one a little risky, and a little off-putting doesnt it.
    I'm a svelte 93 kg's, so I'm starting to think that these beauties are perhaps not best suited for my frame !
    That said, the 2015 Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 is a gorgeous machine........even at £2500.

BUT, a lbs has a Trek Domane 4.3 discounted to £1500, which with the fab reviews the Domane gets, and peace of mind that buying locally brings.......seems perhaps far more tempting.

You pays yer money & all that.........
  • Mine shipped yesterday should have it next week, even though it was ordered at the higher price canyon have agreed to credit the difference which I think is right as it was shipped the day the prices went down..looking forward to it, hopefully no seat post slip..I fluctuate between 75 and 77k so should hopefully be OK
  • mlgt
    marco67 wrote:
    I have the Endurace CF8.0 and I have to say I love it. Ideally I would have bought just the frameset but this option wasn't available so I bought the cheapest model with the new 11speed 105, with a plan to strip it and put my Campag 11speed Chorus on it. Firstly I have to say how much I like the 105 set-up, i've almost been tempted to leave it, and the ride the bike offers is exceptional - knocks my previous rides (Spesh Roubaix SL3 and then SL4) into a cocked hat! But I will rebuild it over the Winter with my Campag kit.
    I've had problems with the seatpost slipping and Canyon supplied me with a shim that fits between the two halves of the seatpost that in effect widens the diameter and this has helped. The VCLS2 seatpost has both a minimum and maximum insertion scale and between these two lines there is a slightly abrasive texture to one part of the post presumably designed to help the post bite when clamped. At the height I have my saddle, the post goes beyond the maximum insertion so the post is smooth which didn't help, but I have found that I can get it to clamp OK. I wasn't offered the option of the VCLS1 post, but it's the design of the VCLS2 post that helps with the smooth ride so i don't know what I would have done. If the problem persists then I may just fit a 3T carbon post instead. It would be useful if Canyon pointed this out on the website, they don't but i'm not sure I would have changed my decision as a result anyway.
    I'm a bit surprised that Canyon have discounted the bike so early, there aren't even any magazine reviews out there yet and i'm sure they will just sing the praises of the bike and the value for money - TBH it pisses me off a bit that they have reduced the price - I could have waited and save £160 (would pay for the 3T seatpost), but hey ho, that's life I guess.
    Having said all that, the CF8.0 at less than £1250 (event the £1400 I paid) seems an absolute bargain and I can't think of anything else in the market that offers similar spec and performance for such great value.
    FWIW the service i've had from Canyon in the UK both on the phone and by email has been good - it would be nice to visit a shop and talk to someone, look and try for size the bikes but then we wouldn't have the low prices.
    Just my tuppennies worth on this subject

Cheers for sharing your thoughts on the bike. Its interesting to know about seat slipping and a shim was provided. Was this after you had purchased the bike or did it come with a shim? Although I dont intend to go to far on the bike when it arrives, it is still worrying about seat slippage.

How soon did this happen to you? I can still request the version 1 as my bike hasnt been shipped yet. But really would like to try out the V2 over the V1. Worth the risk? Even though with others weight can fluctuate around 80kg.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Hi mlgt

The shim was supplied after I contacted Canyon in the UK to advise that I couldn't stop the post from slipping. It basically fits between the two halves of the seatpost at the point where it would be clamped by the seat post clamp.

The initial slippage occurred literally 10 mins into the first ride, and despite several tightening stops was unable to fix the problem - until the cake stop, where with a piece of paper towel i wiped all the carbon paste stuff they tell you to use off. Once this was off the post and the inside of the seattube it was fine.

I'm a bit hacked off because the slippage has damaged the outer layer (lacquer) on the post. Canyon didn't comment when i asked if they would be prepared to replace it but considering the fact that they sent out the shim and are now offering the VCLS1 post as an alternative - it's almost an admission of guilt, and they know there is a problem. I've never had this on any of my other bikes - including a Canyon Ultimate with a VCLS1 post.
    Ciao Marco
  • mlgt
    Hi Thanks for the reply and comments.

Reason why I ask is because my flatmate bought Aeroad 9.0SL and where his frame is a XS and was getting the front brake looked at by LBS. He took my bike home and after work I went to pick it his 9.0 to cycle it home. He has the V1 post and within 10 mins the seatpost slipped twice even though I had tightened (at the shop) with the torque wrench.

This gave me a bad feel and I was cycling home like a BMX'r and eventually after 3 miles I gave up and called him to bring my bike down and swop. He tightened it a little more and it didnt slip for him. However he is 52 kg. So stick thin compared to me at 79kg.

I intend to sell my current bike once the bike is to be shipped and will be my daily commute bike. So the last thing I want to do is to tighten the stem each and every ride.

Also for the initial purchase the V2 post is only £15 extra. But a faff if I have to replace with a V1 post to stop this problem. My feeling is that because it is newer and (ideally) better technology this shouldnt happen.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Hello,
    i am new here but after reading the comments regarding the endurace i thougt its time to tell my own experiences.
    I have my endurace for about 2 months now and drove it for aprox. 2000 kilometers. I attacked cobble stones (live in belgium so that is easy) en took it on holiday tho the ventoux. I am 1m92 and weigh 86 kg.
    I am really impressed with the bike so far. I changed the wheels tho hand built pacenti's with schwalbe one tubeless tires and changed the groupo to a sram force 22. A size xl weighs 7,45kg wich i think is verry respectable.
    I had no problems what so ever with seatpost slipping or strange movement in the headset. The bike climbs verry wel and descends even better and on the rough belgium roads and cobbles it really excels.
    So, i am a happy camper... :-) hope this was somewath helpfull.
    My apologies for my crappy english...
    Greets, Joris. 8)
  • josse wrote:
    Hello,
    i am new here but after reading the comments regarding the endurace i thougt its time to tell my own experiences.
    I have my endurace for about 2 months now and drove it for aprox. 2000 kilometers. I attacked cobble stones (live in belgium so that is easy) en took it on holiday tho the ventoux. I am 1m92 and weigh 86 kg.
    I am really impressed with the bike so far. I changed the wheels tho hand built pacenti's with schwalbe one tubeless tires and changed the groupo to a sram force 22. A size xl weighs 7,45kg wich i think is verry respectable.
    I had no problems what so ever with seatpost slipping or strange movement in the headset. The bike climbs verry wel and descends even better and on the rough belgium roads and cobbles it really excels.
    So, i am a happy camper... :-) hope this was somewath helpfull.
    My apologies for my crappy english...
    Greets, Joris. 8)
    hi,thats great to hear a bit of positive news on the endurance,tx for the review,puts the mind at rest a bit,regards
  • Here are some pictures of my endurace build:

j9reom.jpg

kcnrxc.jpg

x4hgyg.jpg

2128uig.jpg

2w7pyth.jpg

15xv69x.jpg

Greets, Joris. 8)
  • mlgt
    Those who have ordered recently, and since the price drop. At the time of shipping have they taken the money at the discounted rate?

I have my order confirmation and went for a Medium, changed stem to 110 and handlebars at 440.
    Have kept the original order of the V2 post and in the email requested a shim if possible.

The price is at £1747 with the changes, but since the current price of the bike is now priced at £89 less. I wonder if this will be honoured at the time of shipping?

Or perhaps would it be worth the while to email and check for the difference in price as they only charge upon shipment.

I also had the luxury to test ride the Roadlite and Ultimate 9.0 last night in size S. The cockpit was indeed smaller than what I am used to so I am glad I went for the M as it will mimic my current bike set up give or take.

Getting quite excited. And I can assume it will be shipped within 10 days. So I should have the bike before the end of the month. Which is what I had predicted upon placing the order.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0