Rockshox Dust cap loose

mclaren1986
mclaren1986 Posts: 23
edited September 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

Had my trek 8.6 elite for 2 months from new. The dust cap on my forks came loose and I didn't realise till I was halfway round. I also had about an inch of utilised travel on the previous ride but I felt it bottom out twice round the same route.

Should I press it back in or could it be a bit in need of repair? Should still be under warranty

PS. Don't know if it's normal but I could see sponge popping through in the area the dust cap covers.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    by dust cap do you mean the seal on the top of the lowers (which the stanchions slide in and out of)? If thats the case then its normal - by normal I mean shouldnt happen but does occasionally. You will need to reseat the 'sponge' first though before pushing back in. So pull the seal out, poke the sponge ring back inside (there is a recess it sits in just inside the fork), then push the seal back on. All that said, your supplier should sort this for you really, it shouldnt have happened.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thanks Ben, I will get them to show me how to do it if it happens occasionally. Could that be why I've lost a bit more pressure?

Ta
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Might be worth giving the forks a lower leg service - they can (reportedly) be under-lubed in the factory, which might explain the problems you've had. Also, as the bushes "bed in" in the first couple of months use, they contaminate the oil with minute metal fragments, and so it's a good idea to change out that oil for fresh sooner rather than later, as clean oil now will prolong the life of the forks.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Thanks Ben, I will get them to show me how to do it if it happens occasionally. Could that be why I've lost a bit more pressure?

Ta

No , well not directly - its not a pressure holding seal.... however, if its popped, its possible that perhaps some pressure did come out of the air spring which caused the seal to blow (as it flowed from the spring into the lowers, it has to go somewhere)... So perhaps its symptomatic of a bigger problem like a failed air spring seal inside.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Is it the LH, or RH seal? If it's the right hand one you can rule out air loss...
  • Hi Njee it's the RH one.

Thanks Ben again and Jimothy, eventually I'll service my own forks but going to wait for someone who can physically show me how.
    Mountain bikers are good helpful people thanks again.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Just the damping in the RH side, the air's all in the left, so it's unrelated to any air loss.