Bike Radar ride of the falling leaves

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
Saturday October the 4th, a 60-70 miles ride in the Chiltern Hills area of outstanding natural beauty, starting from Great Missenden. Anyone welcome, who is up for it?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Saturday October the 4th, a 60-70 miles ride in the Chiltern Hills area of outstanding natural beauty, starting from Great Missenden. Anyone welcome, who is up for it?

The day before the Dulwich Paragon sportive of the same name?
    Maybe.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'll be tapering in readiness for some long hills in Gran Canaria the following week ;-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    I'll be tapering in readiness for some long hills in Gran Canaria the following week ;-)

Perfect then... a relaxed ride in the Chilterns, what better?
  • Saturday October the 4th, a 60-70 miles ride in the Chiltern Hills area of outstanding natural beauty, starting from Great Missenden. Anyone welcome, who is up for it?

The day before the Dulwich Paragon sportive of the same name?
    Maybe.

Any Saturday of the year is the day before some sportive... not even worth bothering to loo at the calendar
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    I'm there if you change to Sunday. I have my daughter every Saturday.
    I only loo at my calendar if it's really rubbish.
  • Can only do saturday
  • I could be up for this.

I have never rode any of the BR rides so no idea what sort of speeds you guys ride at but hopefully i will be able to keep up.

What sort of time you intending on setting off ??
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    drlodge wrote:

Perfect then... a relaxed ride in the Chilterns, what better?

Would be great if only I didn't have the kids that weekend :roll:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Tjgoodhew wrote:
    I could be up for this.

I have never rode any of the BR rides so no idea what sort of speeds you guys ride at but hopefully i will be able to keep up.

What sort of time you intending on setting off ??

9 AM... last time we averaged 15-16, nothing crazy, kind of social pace most of the day
  • Sounds good to me then.

Count me in
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Great :D
  • I'm a 'definitely maybe'.
    Enjoyed the last one
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Likewise... this course is a tiny bit hillier than the last and in October, on a nice sunny day should be a stunner... plenty of autumn colours and lots of pheasants in the fields and red kites in the sky.
  • A possible route, that takes in some of the prettiest parts of the Chilterns and a couple of the best climbs in the area, namely Hill road from Watlington to Christmas Common and Oxford road from Fingest to the windmill in Turville. Coffee in the lovely hamlet of Hambleden, featured in every other TV drama set in the English countriside (e.g. various episodes of Midsomer Murders)

Can you see it?

http://www.strava.com/routes/894005

• That looks good. Might not be using my 'Essex' 11-23 cassette though :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Good idea, the last climb up Smalldean Lane is quite infamous among the locals... very short, but it exceeds 1 in 4
  • W12_Lad
    Nice route ugo. I shall be stealing this.
    Thanks for putting up.
  • W12 lad wrote:
    Nice route ugo. I shall be stealing this.
    Thanks for putting up.

Or you can do it with us...
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Looks a lovely route, I know the area well, although the quality of Dudley lane last time I rode it was shocking. You'll need your CX bike for that one!

I would like to ride there again, but sadly I'm not in the country any more.
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    although the quality of Dudley lane last time I rode it was shocking.

It's not too bad actually
  • Hmmm looks good but the start/finish is miles away from home, Elephant and Castle, Zone 1, looks good though, how will you be getting there Ugo?
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • Driving.
    You can have a lift from Richmond, as long as you are where you need to be bang on time
  • W12_Lad
    I rode this yesterday from Amersham.
    Very nice route Ugo but I have to agree with robbo2011, Dudley lane is horrible.
    It's under tree cover so visibility is bad anyway.
    Single track, pot holes galore, gravel and stones and steep downhill.
    I got only my second puncture this year on it (gp4000s 23mm).
    The route in general will definitely be one of my "usuals" from now on though, so thanks.
  • W12 lad wrote:
    I rode this yesterday from Amersham.
    Very nice route Ugo but I have to agree with robbo2011, Dudley lane is horrible.
    It's under tree cover so visibility is bad anyway.
    Single track, pot holes galore, gravel and stones and steep downhill.
    I got only my second puncture this year on it (gp4000s 23mm).
    The route in general will definitely be one of my "usuals" from now on though, so thanks.

That can be bypassed then... you joining us?
  • Ah, yes, you did say earlier
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Being Zone 5 Bromley do you think this would be doable? Hour and a half in the car.... could be interesting.

I'm currently free that weekend so consider me interested.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Lancew wrote:
    Being Zone 5 Bromley do you think this would be doable? Hour and a half in the car.... could be interesting.

I'm currently free that weekend so consider me interested.

From Richmond is about 45-50 minutes on a saturday morning, if you leave early enough. Obviously you'll have to bear the London traffic on your way back, but that's a given
  • jpower
    jpower Posts: 554
    Have Palace to Palace ride the day after, but right in my neck of the woods, out of interest is there a min standard you expect?
  • jpower wrote:
    Have Palace to Palace ride the day after, but right in my neck of the woods, out of interest is there a min standard you expect?

Social ride, probably averaging 15 mph... to be honest I am not bothered about average speed. Of course if you can't go up a short 10% climb and need to walk all the way up, then maybe it's not for you

I would expect anyone who cycles regularly and is used to a bit of up and down to be able to do this