How do you get across putney bridge?

notsoblue
notsoblue Posts: 5,756
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
I know a lot of us on here regularly commute across Putney Bridge. With the bridge currently being pedestrian only, how do you cross it?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I did it for the first time in a few weeks today and walked (taking the time to put cleat covers on).

The route down smugglers way and over wandsworth bridge takes exactly the same time so I generally go that way.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Walk and now using SPD/Mtb shoes..
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I used the little bridge to the east of it, the one you get to past Putney tube that comes out on Deodar Road. You have to walk the bike up some steps, but you're allowed to cycle over the bridge
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    When it was just the pavement, I was walking, but since they've opened up the central carriageway, there's plenty of room to ride (especially in the morning)

I don't know why they don't just divide it in two, and have a bike lane there.

In answer to the poll, I walk on the pavement, but cycle on the road, where it is safe to do so.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Rhodrich wrote:
    I don't know why they don't just divide it in two, and have a bike lane there.
    Because the pedestrians (probably 90% of bridge users) would be back to the narrow lane that was there before, and getting stuck behind elderly people pulling shoppers etc. The current configuration seems a pretty optimal use of the available space, allowing plenty of room to overtake slower people.

Walking your bike over the bridge really isn't *that* much of a hassle...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    I ride over at walking speed. Deliberately staying behind someone walking...

Main reason being that one walk over would mess up my speedplay cleats. Usually it's fine as I don't commute at normal hours, but I confess at rush hour today i got a lot of looks
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,795
    riding at walking speed is narrower than walking with your bike, and more convenient for anyone who has a modicum of common sense.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    mroli wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Main reason being that one walk over would mess up my speedplay cleats.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/speedplay-coffee-shop-cleat-covers/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5300025138

will save you the evils... :lol:

well true but we all know the reason is that I can't be arsed.. ;)

And I completely agree Rick but the (stupid) reality is that if it's ok to ride at walking pace then why is it not ok to ride at running pace and etc etc until you just get (foolish idiotic) people tearing across.

that said at the weekend there was a crazy old man physically stopping people cycling at whatever speed across the bridge and making a huge fuss. I rode behind him pulling funny faces which amused me in my own little way...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • notsoblue
    ddraver wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Main reason being that one walk over would mess up my speedplay cleats.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/speedplay-coffee-shop-cleat-covers/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5300025138

will save you the evils... :lol:

well true but we all know the reason is that I can't be arsed.. ;)

And I completely agree Rick but the (stupid) reality is that if it's ok to ride at walking pace then why is it not ok to ride at running pace and etc etc until you just get (foolish idiotic) people tearing across.

that said at the weekend there was a crazy old man physically stopping people cycling at whatever speed across the bridge and making a huge fuss. I rode behind him pulling funny faces which amused me in my own little way...

Won't someone think of the guide dogs.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    notsoblue wrote:
    Won't someone think of the guide dogs.
    lol
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Now that traffic levels are back to normal, making Wandsworth an exercise in suicidal filtering, the walk across PB is looking slightly more attractive. Tried it yesterday since I was in SPDs (rain forecast fail, was expecting to need the caadx for the wet). Felt dirty though. Thought about today whilst on the dolan (guaranteeing heavy rain later, sorry), but that's a long walk on speedplays even with keep on [c]overs. May have to suck it up. Any other experiences? How is smugglers this week? Traffic was backed up well past the turn off on Lower Richmond Road this am.
  • tgotb
    Dyrlac wrote:
    Now that traffic levels are back to normal, making Wandsworth an exercise in suicidal filtering, the walk across PB is looking slightly more attractive. Tried it yesterday since I was in SPDs (rain forecast fail, was expecting to need the caadx for the wet). Felt dirty though. Thought about today whilst on the dolan (guaranteeing heavy rain later, sorry), but that's a long walk on speedplays even with keep on [c]overs. May have to suck it up. Any other experiences? How is smugglers this week? Traffic was backed up well past the turn off on Lower Richmond Road this am.
    PB was fine this morning. Bit busier, but not really any slower. The only things that would tempt me onto a different route would be a reconfiguration of the bridge back to a very narrow walkway (which I don't see happening) or Fulham playing at home (next game on 1st Oct).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm cycing in tomorrow - do you still have to walk across the bridge, or can you *slowly* cycle i.e. stay in the pedals?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • tgotb
    drlodge wrote:
    I'm cycing in tomorrow - do you still have to walk across the bridge, or can you *slowly* cycle i.e. stay in the pedals?
    You have to walk. It's basically a busy walkway; from time to time you see someone riding, but in the rush hour it's every bit as antisocial as someone riding along a busy pavement, and seems to antagonise pedestrians accordingly.

For those who choose to commute in shoes they don't want to walk in, I gather you're allowed to ride along the footway beside the District Line bridge.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rower63
    drlodge wrote:
    a couple of days I've seen a PCSO standing in the middle of the bridge, though not this morning - beware
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • notsoblue
    TGOTB wrote:
    For those who choose to commute in shoes they don't want to walk in, I gather you're allowed to ride along the footway beside the District Line bridge.
    Do you know this for sure? I've seen cyclists yelled at for cycling along there.
  • tgotb
    notsoblue wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Do you know this for sure? I've seen cyclists yelled at for cycling along there.
    Only hearsay I'm afraid. Hopefully someone will pop up here with first-hand experience.

I did see a TFL map somewhere, showing that as the recommended cycling route, and Google Maps seems to have it as the default cycling route, but neither of those constitute proof that you're allowed to ride.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    TGOTB wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Only hearsay I'm afraid. Hopefully someone will pop up here with first-hand experience.

I did see a TFL map somewhere, showing that as the recommended cycling route, and Google Maps seems to have it as the default cycling route, but neither of those constitute proof that you're allowed to ride.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12975158&start=116
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Putney Bridge will be opening on September 26 according to Wandsworth Council.

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/artic ... ptember_26
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Having gone that way last week, what exactly are they going to do for the next 2 weeks it's almost finished!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rower63
    Sketchley wrote:
    Having gone that way last week, what exactly are they going to do for the next 2 weeks it's almost finished!
    same as they did for the first 2 weeks: drink tea and burn council budget
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Having just gone across I was amazed to see they've already dug it up in three places.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Having just gone across I was amazed to see they've already dug it up in three places.....

Those are expansion joints. Makes sense to do them after the initial lay, as you'll end up with a much neater job that way.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this