Bike Park Wales ok with uplift fully booked?

notax
notax Posts: 138
edited October 2014 in Routes
I'm heading to either Cwm Carn or BPW tomorrow, would prefer BPW having only been there once when it first opened. The uplifts are always booked up well in advance but is there scope to jump on with the £4 uplift option? I know riders with a day pass get priority, just wondered how likely it is that we'll be able to squeeze on? How's the riding there now? I guess the tracks will have bedded in nicely...

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Genuine question. Cant you pedal up?
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    These DH types are too lazy and have massive rigs.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have never been to BPW so I asked because I genuinely dont know if it's possible to pedal up.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I pedal up on the Canyon... did 17k last weekend.

However, I'd advise not riding a full descent if doing pedal up loops.. Stop at the middle split and ride back to the top.

The upper sections are the better/longer sections and the climb from the bottom to the middle is steeper than the climb from the middle to top.

Edit: there is an xc climb called the beast of burden. On your 1st ride up, follow this instead of the fireroad to the middle split.
    From the middle split, stay off the beast of burden and take the fireroad.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Notax wrote:
    The uplifts are always booked up well in advance but is there scope to jump on with the £4 uplift option?

Have you seen that you now have to buy single ride passes in advance, so the drivers don't have to carry money? Ok if you get to use them, but would be a kick in the balls to buy a few trips and then find the buses are full every time you're at the bottom. Apparently once purchased, passes last a year, but that only helps if you visit again when it's quieter.

As for the trails, we've had a lot of rain here in the last week, so wouldn't be surprised if they're starting to cut up a bit in places.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Notax wrote:
    I'm heading to either Cwm Carn or BPW tomorrow, would prefer BPW having only been there once when it first opened. The uplifts are always booked up well in advance but is there scope to jump on with the £4 uplift option? I know riders with a day pass get priority, just wondered how likely it is that we'll be able to squeeze on? How's the riding there now? I guess the tracks will have bedded in nicely...
    When I was at BPW in July, there seemed to be a handful of people without day passes get on quite a few of the buses. Not all got on the first bus though. Depends on numbers on the day on how quick you get on I guess.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I've got the chance to go BPW a week on Friday but its booked up.....doh. I can't book far in advance due to work and child care and its a fair few hours drive from me.

So is it worth while going and riding back up, or will I not get the benefit of the place?

I'm fairly fit and don't mind riding up hills, I won't be on a downhill bike.

Thanks Colin.
  • Its all good fun... I actually get more out of riding up as I like the fitness (plus its cheaper!).

The climb is boring and not technical at all, but its worth it for the descents - you cover a lot of ground quickly too, 20km in around 2hours on the Canyon is pretty good going!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Colin, in my experience you would be able to get 70% of the uplifts anyway on 1 at a time payments, so go and chance it I say. You might miss out on the odd bus, but just pedal up half way, do a lower run and try again. You should get most of them ok. Only start and after lunch seem to be impossible to get on.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Note, the drivers no longer sell single uplifts.

All single trips must be bought in advance from reception!
  • Its all good fun... I actually get more out of riding up as I like the fitness (plus its cheaper!).

The climb is boring and not technical at all, but its worth it for the descents - you cover a lot of ground!

totally agree with this. it's a great way to improve your fitness
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Its all good fun... I actually get more out of riding up as I like the fitness (plus its cheaper!).

The climb is boring and not technical at all, but its worth it for the descents - you cover a lot of ground!

totally agree with this. it's a great way to improve your fitness
    Not for me - when I go to somewhere like BPW I want to do as much descending as possible. If I want fitness, that's what my road bike is for.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The climb isn't that hard and doesn't take much longer than waiting for a bus and getting a lift.
    I only use the uplift now if I take my downhill bike and to be honest it's only worth taking that on weekdays when you pretty much get the black trails to yourself.