Cole Hubs - what rims

kleinstroker
kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Bought myself a cheap pair of cole hubs 16/20H with the idea of building myself a set of wheels, but hadn't realised they use some sort of custom spoke arrangement. If I get the proper Cole spokes would I still have to use Cole rims or would any rim work?

Thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,170
    You mean they are for straight pull spokes?

You should be able to use any rim, not that you have much choice with that spoke count... Kinlin is probably the only one... or a mismatch of Planet X tubulars (mind they are often drilled for internal nipples which are a royal PITA to build)
    left the forum March 2023
  • kleinstroker
    Cheers Ugo

I'll probably just stick with the cole rims then. Never built full wheel before from scratch, have trues a few but that's all. Can I do it without a truing stand ?
  • ugo.santalucia
    You can, but with such a low spoke count the wheel needs to be perfect or it will be unrideable... it's not the easiest way to start
  • kleinstroker
    You've convinced me I might need help! Any recommendations of where to have them built? I'm in SW London

Cheers
  • ugo.santalucia
    Well, I suppose you are local then... I don't take any job though and if I am not convinced they'll make a decent set of wheels for you, I won't do it. There are other builders in south London... Arup Sen is well regarded and a nice guy, although he is more south East than South West
  • kleinstroker
    Hi, thanks for the offer of possible wheel build I appreciate it. Just bought a pair of Cole C24 rims from Evans, they don't have spokes though so not sure if I can use alternatives.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Are the cole hubs for straight pull spokes or J bend ones? If they are straight pull the choice is very limited and you also have to find a way to calculate the length required, which is not straightforward as all calculators are based on J bend spokes and drilled hub flanges.
  • kleinstroker
    Yes they are straight pull spokes, 291mm for front and mix of 285mm and 295mm for rear drive/ non drive.

Cheers
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yes they are straight pull spokes

:cry:
  • No luck sourcing spokes unfortunately. Evans although they sell Cole rims don't actually stock enough spokes to build a wheel, so god knows why they are the sole UK distributor. I'm trying to find a UK stockist of Sapim CX Aero spokes.
    If the Cole spokes say 291mm, should I buy 292mm Sapim ones and file down or would 290mm ones be ok? Non standard lengths as well it would seem.
    I thought it would be a bit simpler than this!
  • No luck sourcing spokes unfortunately. Evans although they sell Cole rims don't actually stock enough spokes to build a wheel, so god knows why they are the sole UK distributor. I'm trying to find a UK stockist of Sapim CX Aero spokes.
    If the Cole spokes say 291mm, should I buy 292mm Sapim ones and file down or would 290mm ones be ok? Non standard lengths as well it would seem.
    I thought it would be a bit simpler than this!

Just Riding Along might be able to sell you the Sapim CX Ray straight pull, but not the chunkier CX Aero... nobody have those in the UK. An alternative could be DT Aero comp, if you can source them. As for the length, hard to say, as we don't know if they do round them up or down... when you get into straight pull spokes, it's a lot of hassle
  • Cheers

Choices are either Cole 3 months waiting for new stock, or Sapim CX ray at £2.45 each, DT Swiss Aerolite at £2.50 or DT Swiss competition at £0.85, though not sure if I could even use those?
  • Cheers

Choices are either Cole 3 months waiting for new stock, or Sapim CX ray at £2.45 each, DT Swiss Aerolite at £2.50 or DT Swiss competition at £0.85, though not sure if I could even use those?

You can, but round straight pull spokes can seize and you might not be able to turn them even holding them with pliers
  • DT comps are available in boxes of 72. I know I have some 286mm but they are too long.

Chcikens do sapim race or CX-ray cut and threads rolled to the lengths you want. I think they are getting 500 or so sapim race 310mm long blanks in a week or so. Contact your local shop with a chickens account and get some spokes.
    Or get a box of DT comps round down even by 1mm don't round up by 1mm that the wrong way.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I think they are getting 500 or so sapim race 310mm long blanks in a week or so.

Who is going to break the news with them that from a 310 Sapim race you can't cut a 290? :roll: