where's the fun?

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited September 2014 in The Crudcatcher
On my way home today I drove through Cheddar Gorge and there was some roadie event on.
Cheddar Gorge is a beautiful place but is it really enjoyable cycling up there with cars right up you're trumpet and overtaking on bends etc? Especially on one of the busiest tourist roads in Britain?
As a cyclist myself I gave plenty of space etc but most drivers were obviously frustrated by the very slow progress and overtaking dangerously, shouting abuse and driving right up close. Obviously the drivers were definitely in the wrong but how can anyone enjoy cycling in that situation no matter who is right or wrong?

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    whatever the throbbers are doing in cars - its better than being sat in front of the TV
  • It just looked like a miserable experience. If they had ridden through the gorge nice and early in the morning it's such a peaceful and beautiful place (I spend a lot of time climbing there) it's not very nice when rammed with tourist traffic.
    Maybe the rest of their route was on nice quiet roads but where I saw them they didn't look like they were enjoying it.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Bloody cyclists on the road, they don't pay their 'road tax' do they!!!??!!?!22113411**!94u!!!
  • Briggo wrote:
    Bloody cyclists on the road, they don't pay their 'road tax' do they!!!??!!?!22113411**!94u!!!

I got that from someone in a blue motion VW Polo once! A car with emissions low enough to qualify for no vehicle excise duty.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Usually because they bunch together like a bunch of prats, ie 4 abreast and give little regard for anyone else on the roads.
  • It was the annual Sea to Sky Grand Fondo yesterday - 122km from Van to Whistler on the Sea to Sky highway - the local gov bollarded the entire route to create a bike lane and two car lanes, car journeys were slow, the highway clogged and all the car drivers had their windows rolled to cheer the riders on. I love Canada.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Usually because they bunch together like a bunch of prats, ie 4 abreast and give little regard for anyone else on the roads.

4 abreast is easier to overtake than 4 in line with a bike length or two gap between them so they take up more length of road than a big articulated lorry.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    supersonic wrote:

4 abreast is easier to overtake than 4 in line with a bike length or two gap between them so they take up more length of road than a big articulated lorry.

Rockmonkey prefers girth over length :shock: :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,419
    I've asked the question quite a few times over in Bottom Bracket about where the fun is in road cycling. Oddly enough, I've never had a coherent answer :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • arran77
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I've asked the question quite a few times over in Bottom Bracket about where the fun is in road cycling. Oddly enough, I've never had a coherent answer :)

That's because half of us over there aren't proper roadies and wouldn't stand up for the die-hards anyway :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    arran77 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

That's because most of us over there aren't proper roadies and wouldn't stand up for the die-hards anyway :wink:
    FTFY
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    people who ride bikes are all twats anyway
  • welshkev wrote:
    people are all twats anyway

Fixed for you.
    Why discriminate?
  • arran77
    welshkev wrote:
    twats

Fixed for you.
    Why discriminate?

Lets not beat about the bush hear :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    arran77 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    twats

Fixed for you.
    Why discriminate?

You mean "here".
    Couldn't resist being a twuntish pedant.
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    twats

Fixed for you.
    Why discriminate?

You mean "here".

Go and sit on the pedant step with Sean, Piña and and Stevo :P

seanoconn
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,419
    arran77 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    twats

Fixed for you.
    Why discriminate?

You mean "here".

Go and sit on the pedant step with Sean, Piña and and Stevo :P
    Bet you spell checked that carefully before posting it :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]