Suntour Raidon X3 Coil fork vs Rock Shox XC28

WardenStrange
WardenStrange Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in MTB beginners
I have a conundrum, a choice between 2 forks and i have no idea which is the better one.

Desperately trying to decide between 2 bikes. The Voodoo Hoodoo has the Suntour fork and the Calibre Two Two has the Rock Shox.
I know the Calibre has the better gearing, but which is the better fork? and if it's the one on the Voodoo is the difference enough to outweight the gears on the Calibre?

I am basically a MTB noob lost in a world of technical data.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a close one. The Rockshox are better made for sure - higher quality materials ie the bushings and seals. They really do last.

The Suntour works well, but I would personally take the Rockshox.
  • It's a tough call really, of some relevance is that the Suntour has 20mm more travel than the xc28, but Rockshox are generally better quality (as mentioned).

As for the bikes themselves, both are pretty damn good. The Hoodoo is in a higher price range normally, more in line with the Calibre .50 than the two-two, and it's a harder choice between those two. So if we're talking value for money, given that the Hoodoo is currently on sale at £400, I would say that's the better choice.

But I'm fairly new to this whole mtb malarky myself, and even though I love trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can, there's a lot to know, and there's likely some key points I've missed.
  • Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    They are both entry level hardtails, I'm sure you wouldn't notice any real difference in the forks. Better to try each bike and see which one feels the best for you. Same goes for the gears,use them wear them out and then change to a higher spec if you feel the need to. Have you tried looking for a decent 2nd hoodoo with the air fork? or a bantu with the Raidon air fork and shimano brakes?.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The XC28 is a very flexy fork, I would rather have the Suntour.